My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
I have a Dana transaxle 4360-140 and need to remove and replace the input shaft needle bearings. Could I get some advice and how to take them out? Also in which direction do I take them out, push from the outside in or inside out. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Pat

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Hi

I am about to attempt the same repair on a Peerless 1203 from a Massey Ferguson 8 tractor. Try to find a parts diagram. In my case I have the parts diagrams which show the bearings on the side of the casing that it is installed from. In the Peerless the input bearing goes in from the outside according to my diagram. To remove them you need something the correct size to press or drive them out of the case. They need to be installed carefully as well to avoid damage and sometimes they need to be installed at a certain depth below the case, so measure where the old one sits before you remove it. Also remember that you will need to replace the seal as well.

I hope this helps
Brian

·
Premium Member
609 Posts
Hello Patdf, good luck with this. Take your time, and don't use excessive force, and you should be OK. I have never had to change any of these needle bearings before, but it is doable. The thrust load from the pinion gear is taken by two large washers between the pinion gear and the inside of the upper housing. So, the bearings are just for radial thrust. Clean the bejesus out of the upper housing, you are looking for any kind of a shoulder or register that will keep you from pushing the bearings out from that side. If you have access to a press, that would be the best. Otherwise, a sturdy table, wood blocks to support the housing, and a steady arm with a hammer should work. Find a drift or socket that is a hair smaller than the bore the bearings sit in. It would be a really good idea to support the casting with a socket or piece of pipe a little larger than there bore the bearings sit in. Cracking the aluminum housing would really suck rocks...Go slow, and you should be fine.
Install the new bearings the same way. Me, I would add a dab of grease to each bearing, just because.

I totally agree with JDBrian. Using digital or dial calipers, or a depth gauge, find out how deep the bearings are positioned in the housing, then duplicate that upon reinstallation.

Good Luck! and we want pictures of how this turns out!:thThumbsU

Seth K. Pyle

·
Collector of many tractors
15,274 Posts
There is a tool sold to do this job. it's a box of bushings and collars and bolts... The bushing pushes the bearing out into the collar...

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Hi Pat

Yes , please let us know how it goes. I just ordered the parts for mine from MF and I don't know when I will get a chance to get at it. It would be handy to see how yours looks inside and how you make out with it.

Thanks
Brian

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hello Kbeitz,
Would you happen to know the complete name of the tool so I could look it up. I like to see the cost on that. And Brian, I'll sure let you know how I made out.
Pat

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well I finally got the bearing out. I went to a friends shop who had a press and was able to get them out. I had some difficulty. First of all the bearings were shot to ****. they didn't even resemble bearings. The only thing left of them was a oblong shell where the needle cage and needles were supposed to be. One side of the shell was very very thin where the shaft wore against. Also the bearing are stacked on top of each other so when I went to press them out they sort of created a wedge/shim so one side which was paper thin would bind between the aluminun housing and the tool to push them through. At one end of the housing there now remains a chip and inside the housing there is a piece missing due to the unevenness of the press (again due to the remains of the bearing housing, which was not whole). I'm going to fill the imperfection with a JC weld type material to smooth things over. I'm going to order the shaft kit this week and will keep you up to date. I'm not good at pictures but I'll try to get some.
Thanks,
Pat

·
Premium Member
609 Posts
Good Job, Patdf!!! Hose the housing down with brake cleaner first, and the epoxy should set up quite well.

Seth K. Pyle

·
Registered
143 Posts
On my Peerless transaxles they have to go out the top. From the top you can see the entire end of the bearing cup inside the bore of the case. From the bottom you can only see a portion of the bearing cup. So there is a lip on the inside end of the bore.

Pretty easy to look and see, on my transaxles anyway.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts