My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
DougDog
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have found that while useing a winch to power the lift arm on my sleeve hitch along with lights and other stuff, that my battery runs dead. I have an extra pully on the bottom of my simplicity that powered the deck. I am going to weld me a platform to mount a standard small car battery. I was thinking of mounting an altenator vertically and attaching it to the aux pully. I was wondering if A: will it hurt an altenator to be run vertically, and is there such a thing as over amping the starter?:trink40:

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Put an auto sized battery either 51r or 22nf if I am not mistaken. You would really have to use the heck out of the electric lift to kill a big battery.

·
Denis
38 Posts
Careful you don't overheat the motor/generator, if that's what you're running. They don't put out that much and will get hot enough to drip resin if you have a weak battery. I learned from experience.

·
4K Poster!!!
4,504 Posts
You won't "overamp" a starter as long as you run it at the design voltage. In other words, you could use a battery the size of a house as long as it's the correct voltage.
You can burn up a starter by running it too long without letting it cool. Most starters are overloaded electric motors that can run only a small percentage of time, then need time to cool. That's a function of duty cycle, not battery size. That's why most manuals tell you to run the starter only for a certain length of time, then let it rest for a longer time.
I don't really know if an alternator will run a long time sideways, but it will run. The bearings are not designed to be thrust bearings and take the weight of the armature, so will probably have a shorter than normal life. Most alternators aren't all that expensive, so it might be worth trying.
I hope that you aren't planning on having both the alternator and the tractor's generator charging the same battery!

·
DougDog
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well I hadn't ruled that out. To be honest with you I would not, nor have I contemplated bypassing the engines charging system. It is so small I had not considered the impact of not by passing it. If I don't what will happen?

·
4K Poster!!!
4,504 Posts
I'm not really sure, but it seems that the two systems would not cooperate, since the voltages would never be exactly the same. I think they would fight each other, and the one with the lower voltage would be backfed, which may or may not do some harm. I know that in the electronics field, connecting two power supplies together is not allowed unless their sense lines are connected. Tractor generators don't have sense lines, and perhaps don't need them. The tractor generator systems may be robust enough so it doesn't matter. Then again, the regulator or diodes in the alternator may react poorly.
If you were running the alternator, would you really need the generator, anyway?
Might be a good question to post, perhaps someone on this board has tried it, and would share his experiences.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
I think it still would be easier to make sure its charging correctly...the old starter/gen sets I thought were 15 amps? I run a heck of a lot on mine and just shut most of it down on the ride back to the garage. Then I idle it down for a minute. So far no problem and the battery has lasted years.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts