My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My trucks been needing some work for a few weeks. Brakes are getting weak even though they only have a few thousand miles on them and I'm sure it has something to do with the old Kelsey Hayes ABS system. I'v had a bit of an exhaust leak at the manifold for a week or so and finally looked at it. The flange at the exhaust manifold pulled thru the Y pipe and damaged it ( part of the catalitic converter too ), and is starting to cook the starter wires. A new Y pipe w/ cat is like $300, and the bolts are going to break on the manifolds, so I'm going to go for headers when the time comes to make this repair but I do not have funding right now due to the Subaru.

I have a couple weeks off work and I need to get the motor swapped in the new Subaru so I can put that on the road, but this truck needs to make it at least 100 miles on thursday to pick up the engine for it.. Is it a good idea to insulate the starter wires in tin foil to keep heat off of them?. After the Subaru's good to go, I will probably have to park the truck for a while.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
My trucks been needing some work for a few weeks. Brakes are getting weak even though they only have a few thousand miles on them and I'm sure it has something to do with the old Kelsey Hayes ABS system. I'v had a bit of an exhaust leak at the manifold for a week or so and finally looked at it. The flange at the exhaust manifold pulled thru the Y pipe and damaged it ( part of the catalitic converter too ), and is starting to cook the starter wires. A new Y pipe w/ cat is like $300, and the bolts are going to break on the manifolds, so I'm going to go for headers when the time comes to make this repair but I do not have funding right now due to the Subaru.

I have a couple weeks off work and I need to get the motor swapped in the new Subaru so I can put that on the road, but this truck needs to make it at least 100 miles on thursday to pick up the engine for it.. Is it a good idea to insulate the starter wires in tin foil to keep heat off of them?. After the Subaru's good to go, I will probably have to park the truck for a while.
Yes! There are actual heat-reflecting tapes designed for that. I would put some split loom on it first, then wrap with the tape. You don't want a short to power or ground going down the road or a crispy truck.

I would also try to get some flame-proof material over where the leaky manifold is, foil with steel clamps or something. You probably don't want any open flames coming out of there creating a fire hazard.

·
Resident Man Of Many Hats
2,641 Posts
Just pick up some heat wrap, most auto parts store sell it and it comes in all kinds of lengths and sizes. Lots of folks put it on their plug wires.

·
Registered
4,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
forgot about that stuff. I'll have to get some. Think I'll put some split loom over the really bad spot and then wrap the entire 12" wire with the heat tape/ headder wrap. When I'm done with the car and onto fixing the truck, I will probably cut the wire back to good wire and solder/ shrink new wires in

·
Registered
4,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, they did not have headder wrap in stock, so I bought split loom and some reflective 1,500# heat tape. It protected the wires for the trip but looks a bit melted and is starting to come off. I think the wires inside are ok tho

1 - 5 of 5 Posts