My Tractor Forum banner
  • We have a new contest celebrating your backyard. Sponsored by Walmart, its your chance to win a $400 gift just in time for the 4th of July! HERE Contest Ends on the 30th.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 1966 Chief 800 with an 8hp kohler, K series K181, serial # 8065750spec code # 30290D. I studied the Kohler tech manual but I cannot find the location of the timing marks to set the points. Anyone point me in the right direction?

·
Plain Old MTF Member
216 Posts
It's been many years since I worked on a K series but timing marks are for reassembly
of the engine. I don't believe "a mark" is required for setting points. I could be wrong, but the points are set in relation to the position of the piston...TDC of the compression stroke.
I hope someone here can help you more than I can.

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
The timming is set by point gap; Small == retard ;; Large == advance; We set tha gap by the engines sound, This can be done while the engine is running.. It is dangerious, Be care full;; but it can be done. We set it at a little above the idle position, It has worked for our shop.

·
Registered
402 Posts
the timeing marks should be on the bach edge of fly wheel, there should be a small hole in the engine cover. there two marks one mark is top dead center indicated with a T.the other mark is about a quater inch before tdc. these marks are very lite may need to wipe some chalk or white paint to be visible.I use a powered test light across the opoints,as I turn flywhell toward tdc,I want the test light to go out when the advance mark is in center of acess hole

·
Registered
14 Posts
I agree with Melvin. That is the best way to set the timing on a K series Kohler. I use an analog ohm meter and set the points so they just open when the advance mark (usually S or SP) is at the window. If you do it carefully, it works perfectly every time (verified with a timing light).

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the assistance on this. I think I will have to pull the engine shrouds to find the timing mark because my light does not show anything in the little hole at the back of where the flywheel is. I will clean off the 45 years of dust and grime and mark it with chalk.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I just rebuilt a K241 on a Chief 1000. The lower bracket that supports the generator covers the timing hole in the motor cover. I milled a slot in the bracket so the timing mark could be seen.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts