My Tractor Forum banner

41 - 60 of 63 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
We got back out to the shop after dinner and dropped the head on and torqued it down. Then installed the rocker shaft and adjusted the valves.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,326 Posts
Just for information sake, I found this in the IT manual referencing the clips on the Valves.

It Says: On all models except the Cub, valves are equipped with safety stem retainers to prevent the valve from dropping into the combustion chamber.
I just happen to have my I&T right here at my desk, and yup, that's what it says..!! One of those things I read over, looking for specs on setting the valves. I went to Case/IH's online parts book, and it doesn't even show those clips, but does show the valve seals. Thinking back, I don't ever recall seeing any valve seals on one's I've had apart. Were there any on that one..??

Now, it's got me wondering if they dissolved over time, or, is that a temporary fix for worn guides, until a complete cylinder head rebuild, with new guides is performed. Hmmm...

·
Premium Member
5,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #43 (Edited)
No seals on this one but we put guides and seats in it when the engine was rebuilt. None of our farmalls have had valve stem seals when we opened them up. My dad is a mechanic from starting back in the early 50's. He says most engine's didn't have seals on the valves back then and bent push rods weren't uncommon either. Most failures were like this tractor where the oil bakes on the stem until it seizes.

When we measured the guides and valves we found very little wear, if any. Since they looked good we didn't put any seal's on this time either.

·
Premium Member
5,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
The cows started calving this week so I haven't spent much time on the SC, but did get going again yesterday afternoon. I pulled the carb apart last week and found a partially collapsed float with a little gas inside. This might be another reason for cylinders looking so black and sooty. The local tractor parts store had one in stock. While cleaning it I noticed the bowl was slightly warped so I sanded it smooth with some 220 wet or dry paper on a flat aluminum plate with some solvent poured on it. That got it straightened out and I assembled it today. Yesterday I got the radiator put back on along with the manifold. Today I hope to get the oil changed, antifreeze filled, carb installed, and then see if it will run. I'll add the hood and grille after its up and running.

Attachments

·
Parts collector
3,120 Posts
Cool!

But I will tell you my OCD would not let me put that thing back together with a shiny head and carb and the bottom end being cruddy. :tango_face_devil:

·
Premium Member
5,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Cool!

But I will tell you my OCD would not let me put that thing back together with a shiny head and carb and the bottom end being cruddy. :tango_face_devil:
I would like to paint the whole thing, but with hay season coming up quick we needed to get it back in action.

·
Premium Member
5,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Got it running this afternoon. Pulled it out of the shop for a test run in the driveway and then took it up to the farm. We are going to use it moving a couple thing's and then my brother wants to put the plow on to work up a garden area.

Attachments

·
Kish JD 318/420/430
3,570 Posts
Another project reaches a milestone. Up and running, functional test to come with plowing (power under load). Way to go cjet69!! :thThumbsU

·
Premium Member
5,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
A short vid.

·
Premium Member
5,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Another project reaches a milestone. Up and running, functional test to come with plowing (power under load). Way to go cjet69!! :thThumbsU
That will be a good test for it. Hope my work is up to the challenge. :goodl:

·
Registered
896 Posts
Float looks like water may have froze in the bowl.

My old Super C engine started momentarily running rich right after it hit a bump or rough spot in the field, even worse if hit a rub-board spot and vibrated the tractor. Found the bowl was slightly warped and the gasket not sealing the top of the bowl good and fuel would slosh into the top and get sucked into the other ports.
I sanded the bowl flat on a piece of glass using sandpaper and new gasket and all ok. (problem was not readily apparent until problem got worse) Would foul a plug at first, then later as it got worse (gasket distorting) would have to push in the clutch to unload the engine and let the engine un-flood.

·
Premium Member
5,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
An the hits just keep on coming. Another home run. Nice job.
MikeC
:thanku: MikeC. I expect the carb may need some tweeking once it goes to work and we will need to re-torque the head and adjust the valves after a good hard run. If all is good at that point then it should be good to go.

Float looks like water may have froze in the bowl.
Thats what I think happened also.

·
Parts collector
3,120 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
My brother gave it a good test plow his garden. The plow was just starting to shine up on the last few passes. The tractor ran good.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,326 Posts
Do you know the model number on that plow..?? I've never seen a 2 prong FH single bottom for a Super C before, other than the auto-flip single like I have. 16", or 18" bottom..??

·
Parts collector
3,120 Posts
My brother gave it a good test plow his garden. The plow was just starting to shine up on the last few passes. The tractor ran good.
Yeah buddy!

I wish I could get my Brinley plow for my 300 JD to dig that deep. BUT I plow, then disc, then harrow, then till.

·
Premium Member
5,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #58 (Edited)
Do you know the model number on that plow..?? I've never seen a 2 prong FH single bottom for a Super C before, other than the auto-flip single like I have. 16", or 18" bottom..??
It is a 16" but, I'm not sure what the model # is. Are there any numbers on the to help ID them?

EDIT:I did a search and it looks like it might be a C-10 plow.

·
Kish JD 318/420/430
3,570 Posts
A great project to get it up and running, now fully functional. Way to go!! :thThumbsU

·
Premium Member
5,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
I looked the plow over today and found remnants of the painted on C 10 PLOW. My brother pressure washed all the dirt off the plow so you can see the black paint that is still on it and the nice shine thats just underneath.

Attachments

41 - 60 of 63 Posts