My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our Farmall Super C started running bad last spring It had a bad miss in it. We decided to park it until we had time to get to it. That time is here. I got it towed to the shop this evening and pushed it inside. Tomorrow I will start looking for the problem.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,537 Posts
Subscribed. Looking ditto your project.

Bill

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
5,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Got out to the shop and pulled the hood, plugs, and valve cover. It didn't take long to find the problem. It has a stuck valve and a bent pushrod. Tried tapping on the valve and it won't move so its time to pull the head.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not sure I ever seen a wide front C. Nice. Good luck with the project. My stepdad had a nice superC with a flail mower on it that we used to mow the junk yard with..
It had the narrow front when we got it. Dad put a Farmall round tube wide front under it and ran it for years, but the extension tubes would get worn where the adjustment pin and clamp fastened allowing the tubes to rotate. We fixed that problem by adapting this Massey Fergusen front end to it and haven't had any problems since we installed it.

·
Premium Member
5,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Pulled the head to get a look inside. The #3 intake is stuck and #4 intake is sticky. All of the other valves are good. Still not sure what the problem is.

Attachments

·
Registered
896 Posts
Are you running ethanol gas?

I've heard rumors of unleaded gas causing such. Had that happen on my old Ford truck engine. Had to install different make of valve guides which worked out great. Other option was to use a gas additive in the unleaded gas.

Leaded gas kept the stems and guides lubed better.

Running on Propane will also cause such.

Let us know what you or a machine shop determines?

·
Kish JD 318/420/430
3,437 Posts
From the way it looks to me, I would say head gasket leaking some coolant and maybe a bad oil ring(s) on 3/4. But wait for engine shop opinion, show them you pics. Wonder how the cam looks like.

·
Registered
896 Posts
From the way it looks to me, I would say head gasket leaking some coolant and maybe a bad oil ring(s) on 3/4. But wait for engine shop opinion, show them you pics. Wonder how the cam looks like.
Agree.

Kinda looks like it was burning some oil and maybe little water. (but usually that will keep a valve guide lubed some what.

·
Premium Member
5,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Usually when a head gasket leaks into a cylinder you will find a little antifreeze in your oil when you change it. As far as I know none of us ever found antifreeze in the oil. I was kinda thinking that with 2 intakes next to each other if there might be a crack/pinhole in that intake port. I'll get it torn down and cleaned up for inspection.

We do most of our own machine work and only ship out for things like valve seats or crank grinds.

·
Kish JD 318/420/430
3,437 Posts
I had a gaskets go on my 1997 Chevy S10 Blazer, only sign was a sightly crystallized build up on a couple of plugs. Nothing in the oil that we could notice, just tripping of the o2 sensors and some missing under load.

·
Premium Member
5,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I soaked the stuck valve with some carb cleaner followed by some ATF/Acetone mix and let it soak overnight. After removing the valve springs I was able to tap the stuck valve out using a brass drift and ball peen. Once the valve started moving it came out without much effort. I found some black buildup on the stem that was slightly sticky feeling. It came right off with some carb cleaner and slides easily in the guide now. I don't find much wear or any galling on the stem or guide. So far no definitive answer on what cause it. On to the cleaning process.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Got the head cleaned up pretty good, but haven't done much inspection yet.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,537 Posts
What were you doing to clean the head?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Kish JD 318/420/430
3,437 Posts
Wow it looks like some major pitting on the ends. I would say that needs to be looked at because that will change cylinder volume, thus air fuel ratio for those cylinders

·
Premium Member
2,274 Posts
In stead of a broken oil ring, from looking at the valves, and being they are both intake, it looks like it's been pulling oil in from the top end. Is it possible the valve guides are worn so bad, it sucking oil down around the valve stem, on the intake stroke..?? Looks like it literally just baked some oil on the valve stem over a period of time, until they seized.

Have you ever had this engine torn down before? With the serious pitting on 1 & 4, I'm wondering if a PO somewhere back the line, put a sleeve kit in it, because it had gotten water in the cylinders, and was stuck. Even at that, I've pulled several heads off of tractors that have been stuck for a good many years, and have never saw pitting like that before. Just thinking again, somewhere back the line, someone did a quicky fix with a sleeve set, and to heck with the cylinder head, other than maybe lapping the valves in, then sold it.

·
Premium Member
5,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
What were you doing to clean the head?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I just boil it in some TSP and some simple green. Then I ran it thru the blast cabinet to clean the rust off the outside and carbon out of the ports. The chambers just got the wire brush treatment.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts