My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #1
Today, I had to let Sable go, as she could no longer even move herself in her bed, from being able to run and bark as normal on Thursday.

This was her for 12 years, running to say hi to whoever came to the house.

She will be missed.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #6
So sorry for your loss. Hard to make the decision, isn't it?
Actually, it wasn't hard making the decision, as she went from being able to jump on me to say hi on Thursday night, to not being able to shift her position in her bed by herself. Some medication given to her yesterday briefly made her a little better (she could kind of walk again, but not fully in control of her rear legs), but today she could only drag herself along the carpet a bit, and a dose of the medication made no difference. She would only eat a little if I hand-fed her, and I know she really wanted to go to the washroom, but she couldn't stand on her own and she wouldn't with me holding her up and she wouldn't just lying on the ground, so it would just be more and more stress for her until she just couldn't hold it in anymore. The vet said maybe switching to steriods might help for awhile, so I knew it was best for her to go, rather than having maybe another couple weeks of her being able to barely get around on her own.

Now, putting the decision into action, and living with it, that's hard...

We're all friends here
Losing a pet, and friend, is sad. I've been there. Sorry for your loss.

Registered
Rainbow Bridge

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge.
There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together.
There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.
The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown...

I'll never get to 10,000
Sorry for your loss. May the Lord comfort you in your loss.

15,000 +posts!
My condolences on your loss...having "been there" recently with my 18 year old cat,I can say I have a pretty good idea how you feel now...still miss her,and always will--still expect to see her in her favorite spots in the house..but she's now out in the backyard in her grave..:(..I get teared up every time I go near it..

Minding my P's & Q's
Sorry to hear you lost your friend. That is the bad part of letting a pet own us.
Never gets easier, and yet we do it to ourselves again. And in the end you have to hold up your part of the unspoken contract.

Registered
Have two of my own, one of whom got lost in the woods a couple of years ago and was missing for 10 days. I thought sure she had been killed by a bear, and I was heartsick. Thank God she was found by a loving family and so was returned to me safe and sound (including more ticks than I could count). I am so sad for your loss.

Registered
Today, I had to let Sable go, as she could no longer even move herself in her bed, from being able to run and bark as normal on Thursday.

View attachment 2443089

She will be missed.

View attachment 2443089

She will be missed.
I'm so sorry for your loss, Dave. I bet she brought much love and joy to you and your family.
Carol

Registered
View attachment 2443089

She will be missed.
[/QUOTE]

View attachment 2443089

She will be missed.

View attachment 2443089

She will be missed.
My condolences on your loss. Lost my cat Taz at 16 years old. It has been a year and I too still tear up about it. For 15 years he would jump on my lap when I was watching TV and drift off to sleep. He's not here any more. I miss him so much. I've had many dogs and cats but none like Taz.

15,000 +posts!
Yesterday when I got up at 8 am,I saw the squirrel that has been in my yard often for the past year or more..it wasn't "tame",but if you brought some food out to him,he wouldn't run away,he'd sit there and eat it only a few feet away,with little or no fear..he also would jump up on the picnic table in my back yard if I was sitting there,hoping for a handout..

The other day I found a bag of shelled peanuts I'd stashed away in a container that were too old for me to consume,so I brought them out in the backyard,and tossed a few on the ground..not 5 minutes later,the gray squirrel came out of nowhere,and crawled down from a tree and came over and grabbed one,sat there eating it ,so cute..I spread some out on the picnic table,and he leaped up and ate them not 2 feet away from me..tossed the rest of the bag out in the woods behind my shed,and he zoomed out there and had a feast..

About 10 am yesterday I looked out the window--and saw something white lying in the street..

My worst fears were realized when I got dressed and went out to see what it was--it was the squirrel,and it was dead..:(..I assume a car must have hit it ,but it was intact,no blood or evidence of any wounds,so maybe it just got its head whacked by the undercarriage--either that or the punk living across from me had his pellet gun out again..I saw no entry wound or blood,but then I didn't inspect it closely either--I just wanted to get it out of the road,before a big truck crushed it flat..no doubt someone speeding to work must have hit it..:(

I took it out in the woods and laid it beside the path...yeah,it was just a rodent,but it was a cute & cool little critter,unlike the mice I despise that have invaded my home and garage & sheds..

I said a few prayers,then walked back to the house,right by where my cat is buried..was a sad day overall,all I hope for is the fox I've seen around or some other predator would make good use of the squirrel before it spoiled..it snowed a bit last night,and as I laid in bed ,I wondered if I should have buried him...seems I cant have any "pets",feral or otherwise..

Registered
Always awful to lose a beloved family member. One of the greatest things you can do for a pet is to give them a peaceful passing to minimize their suffering. I hope someone does as much for me some day.
Growing up, we always had two mutts my mom would rescue from the local ASPCA just a few blocks away. As soon as we had to put one down, my mom would take me back to the ASPCA the SAME DAY day to save another dog. As difficult as it is for some to imagine, saving a new dog is a great way to honor how much you miss the former, and also forces you to focus on something positive and healing. As you know, dogs help us heal.

Registered
So sorry for your loss, it is so very painful to lose a part of the family. I went through this 11 months ago when we had to put our 12 year old Pom down. We are just now to the point where we think we鈥檙e ready to find a new baby.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts