My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the deck on my old Comet has had it and I am tired of having to repair all the cracks and bent up places in it. It is a 25" hv but I am wondering if I could just get a 28" hv deck shell and and use tha same spindle from my 25" deck. I would like to get a 28" deck because the blades are much easier to get.

·
Registered
525 Posts
I'm pretty sure it will work. IIRC, the belt and cables were the same, so that makes me believe the tube is not a different length. You're going to need 1 1/2" at the front and back for it to clear. If you don't have that much, make sure there is enough tube length to adjust. It may require a different diameter engine pulley as well.

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
If you have the Snapper Comet,parts list and the list of the model deck that you want to use,you will be more able to tell,which parts will interchange I recently changed the deck on my 28" series 21 to another 28" deck(using an older series deck,around series13 I think)I ended up using just the "shell" of the older,deck,luckily that was what was bad on mine,and the PO had removed it with a saw,and ruined the rails.Mow Joe's comments,were good,and the engine pulley(behind the drive disc,you might still have the 2 piece one)are different sizes to keep from "over speeding" the blade. Like an airplane propeller,funny things happen as the tips reach supersonic speed,like noise,and not cutting,or mulching right,as well as the safety aspect.There was a post a while back,of a guy changing from a 28" deck to a 33" deck,he used the drive pully of the 28" mower,and said that he didn't notice any ill effects,so you be the judge.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts