My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
20,000 +posts!
20,959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tried to change the fuel filter on my Ford Contour yesterday..and failed!..:(

First off,it has nylon fuel lines and plastic clips holding them on--something I have never fooled with,as I have always owned OLD trucks and cars (and much prefer them too)...when I touched the plastic clips,they crumbled,as I expected..I had two new ones and a friend gave me two more he had,just in case I needed them..(what was so bad about neoprene gas hose and worm gear clamps anyway??)

Well,after the clips were off (in peices),I tried getting the fuel lines off the filter..I rotated them,tugged,pulled,and even sprayed them with penetrating oil..no dice..not wanting to destroy the 15 year old brittle,fragile connectors on the fuel lines,I decided to put the two clips back in,and said screw this!..the head on the worm gear clamp holding the filter to the car had also disintergrated from rust,and my vise grips couldn't grip it enough to get it off..
It'll have to be cut off--.

Thouroghly disgusted,I got out from under the car and proceeded to walk right into the floor jack handle,bashing both of my shins badly!..*** sun was in my eyes and I forgot it was there..now I can barely stand up or walk..

The car needs both rear struts replaced,and I have two with springs already instaled I got from a junker that had them replaced recently..but after looking at where the upper bolts are,and never having done any previously,I thought it unwise to attempt doing them in my driveway..I dont have a lot of metric tools,nor do I have swivel sockets,and after bashing my shins in,I wasn't in any mood to be crawling around under a car all day--I envisioned my car being stuck outside half apart,and me ending up having it towed somewhere to be reassembled..

I also wanted to change the oil--the car is so low to the ground my ramps wont fit under the bumper,so I jacked it up..when I saw where the oil filter is located,and it was a dinky one I dont have a filter wrench for,I just let the jack down,and said a few choice profanities,and went in the garage to moap for awhile..

Then I went to the package store!..

Called my friend this morning who has a repair shop,and told him I want HIM to fix the car--I'm not so sure the clips for the fuel filter went in right,and I dont want to trust driving it to CT this saturday with what appears to be the original gas filter with 140K on it,or a clip that might pop off halfway there..and its been over 5K since the oil was changed 5 years ago--the car sits in the garage most of the time until summer comes,then I use it to go long distances..my friend balked at fixing it,he said "maybe later in the week"..to me that translates to "I dont feel like fixing it"..I know what'll happen--he'll do it friday probably,and something will go wrong and I wont be able to use the car saturday..:mad:

I dont really care iof the struts get replaced,I have only driven it 5K with the old junk ones clunking,200 more miles wont make much difference..

WHY did they ever invent stupid S*** like "snap-loc" connectors for gas filters,tranny lines and coolant hoses,and start using plasic crap on critical parts on engines??..bad enough if this car ever needs a radiator hose or serpentine belt it has to be towed in and put out of comission for a day or more just to replace them,and if the starter or altenator ever crap out,its a nightmare job to replace either of them and involves removing the exhaust pipes and driveshafts--you know what that will entail on a 15 year old car!..what happened to things you can fix without things snapping off,and since when is it OK to trust your LIFE to a hunk of plastic??.

I used to yank a V8 out of a GM truck,go do it to another one,and swap engines,and have the truck ready for the drive home at 5 pm,the same day!.now I cant even change a friggin gas filter or change my own oil..I feel like a useless POS,a cripple that cant do squat any more--cant even SEE what I am trying to work on half the time..:mad:

I feel like selling this car,and going back to the stone age and just drive my old 1980's trucks,something I CAN fix on the side of the road,should something go wrong!..either that or just stay home and never go anywhere any more..lately I'm no better at fixing small engines or tractors either..
Just thinking about fixing anything makes me want to :eck16: now..and having to pay someone else to do what I SHOULD be able to do makes me feel the same way too..like I have the money,with no job or ANY income!..

·
Administrator
5,936 Posts
Been there, done that with those stinkin Ford filters...GM ones are easier, but are usually seized too......

If the struts are anything like the old Taurus ones, I think you need some special tool.....

I gave up working on cars, too much frustration.......When a stinkin wheel bearing costs $300+, its time to give it up.......

·
Registered
748 Posts
These can be a real pain in the xxxx. The company I work for specializes in fuel and brake line assemblies for the big three. To release the connectors from the filter there is a release tool that slides over the stem of the filter and inside the connector. This spreads the latches and allows the connector to slide off the filter.
We do the whole works. At our division we extrude the nylon hose, have injection molders where the clips are made, buy the connectors, buy the brake line from a sister division and fuel line from other companies. We then do the full prep, endforming,bending and assembly. When done these go out the door as a complete bundle assembly that they just snap under the the vehicle and make the mating connections.

·
Banned
2 Posts
sorry to here this i was an auto mechanic myself and gave the trade up do to the BS with the newer cars ..I worked in an auto wrecking and we had a full shop doing everything those *** fords are a pain in the arise..You need a special tool to remove the line once you take little clips off it has a little spring that locks down over the collar ..As for the rear struts they can be a pain also ..You will need heat to remove the bolt from the rear hub because if you don't that 18 mil bolt will brake and that sucks hard done it lol ....As for the jack that hurts like **** man done that to ...You know what i hate the most ..Is when you go to walk under the car and rubber neck yourself on the tire or when you walk into the host arm that F -ing hurts

heres a pic of the tool to remove the line

images.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
5,648 Posts
Getting a mechanic to work on it that quickly is great. Up 'north' here, there's a waiting list of 7 - 10 working days just to get the car into the repair bay.

You know when it's time to sell the car, when the headlight burns out.

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
Well I just had to chime in on this one . For everyone that has these type of experiences - I have this type of stuff happen all the time . I am and have been in the Automotive service & repair business for around 30 years now and often wonder what the h_ _ _ I was thinking when I decided to do this . Most people have no clue as to some of the issues that we have to deal with -the list is a mile long . All I can say is I feel your pain every day !

·
Super Moderator
35,835 Posts
Probably why all of us like our tractors, still something we can work on and feel like we're useful! I looked under the hood of my Dodge Durango with the Hemi and couldn't believe all the electronics.....and I work with computers!

·
Registered
833 Posts
Hi there Tractor-Holic, I hear U LOAD & CLEAR...

I am a truck lover to, drive a 1998 3/4T Chev. 4x4 and none of the new crap I would want.
Now a days, the new stuff is all Engineered with keeping the dealership service center busy at $95 / hour plus tax.
I will keep my 12 year old pickup for another 10-15 years and my independent mechanic can still fix it, with the tools he has - without getting to expensive.

I remember the good old days, when driving the car up on a set of oak planks was common, to do an oil change.
Now the plastic bumpers are so low, ramps no longer work and also gone are the days of using tow bars or towing with a chain.
A whole industry has been created to cripple, the little guy, trying to save an honest buck.

Like you - I will keep my old stuff to drive, thank-U-very-much.

----------------------
Beaumont { :>))
--------------------------------------------------------------------
www.petperfectexpress.com
1992 JD 318 original paint w/484 hr. on P218g Onan & #49 snow blower / 1998 JD GT262 w/brand new Kawasaki OHV & 48" rebuilt deck
http://www.mytractorforum.com/showthread.php?t=135838

·
Tractor addict
2,857 Posts
I'm 16 and am looking into becoming a mechanic or some sort of truck driver. I currently work at a shop a couple days a week learning and helping them out. We get a lot of mini vans and these cars that you have to remove parts to reach the oil filter and we get a vehicle once and a while with these push in oil plugs that will drain the oil by just pushing it in, we had to refuse service a couple times because of these failing and not working. These newer cars are pains, but some of the older ones we wish we never had to see in the first place. We had one once with fuel lines and brake lines that were flaking and expanding every tie you pressed the brakes or turned the car on, the lady that owned it would not fix anything more than doing the coupon oil change and tire rotation. Some how it drove away with out any problems.

People tell me not to do this line of work in the future, but I'm not capable of sitting in front of a computer, talking to irate customers or trusted with anything larger than a lawn mower except from my boss. My boss is the only one that has trusted me with moving a vehicle and so far I have not screwed up so I'm pretty happy with my self and I'm doing every thing I can to learn while I can before it costs me money. Can't beat a free education, even if you don't get a piece of paper that says you know something.

·
20,000 +posts!
20,959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
remember my posts a few months ago about my mother in law's Contour.... IIRC you chimed in on those;
Yes,I remember you PM'd me about how to go about it..well,maybe 5 years ago,I'd do it myself..but I cant justify the pain I'll be in after spending two days trying to struggle thru doing it all,not when I can watch my friend do it on his lift in an hour (and I'll probably be able to help him if he needs any,maybe even do the oil change while he's dealing with the fuel filter and struts ,if he wants to attempt them that is--he's booked solid as usual--I am lucky he'll even look at it this week)..

My friend just got a 99 cougar to work on today,just my luck,its got the same v6 as my car--its skipping and has misfire codes on #1 and & 6,and he spent all day chasing down possible causes..I could tell he loathes these cars,and I cant say I blame him,after reading the motors manual,and what is involved in replacing normal things like an altenator or starter,or even spark plugs..makes me want to get rid of the car just thinking of fixing anything on it..you have to be not only a mechanic,but a computer whiz and a contortionist to do it,and have the patience of Job...I dont anymore!..

I am not only disgusted with myself,but a lot of things..like the way they have ruined cars,by piling on plastic crap and complex electronics ,parts that can leave you stranded and scratching your head,not knowing what sensor croaked and why wont it start..you can blow a few hundred on parts and it still wont run..and no returns on electrical items--give me a dinosour with points and a carb,any day..all this "hi-tech" crap is unessasary and evil..we're driving autos,not space shuttles for petes sake..--on top of all my other personal troubles at home,and things being sour in the economy and world,I dont need this aggravation at all..emission tests,check engine lights,etc..its all a crock to make the feds money and us POOR..

I dont enjoy buying "special tools" either..first it was metric wrenches--then torx bits..security torx..external torx bits..twelve point "spline" bolts..weird "half sizes" like a 4.5mm socket!..plastic hoobies to undo those stupid snap loc connectors..etc..I have cut off many of those stupid things and flared the tubing and connected em the OLD way,that always worked and could be taken apart and re-used..seems like they invent new fasteners and then force you to buy the tools to fit them..they squeeze the engine into a bay only 1/2" larger than the engine is,so nothing can be accessed easily..they have riuned it for us..

I would love to go to AZ and buy me a 1960's Chevy pickup or two,a 4x4 and a 2wd,and just drive them till I die..at least I could FIX those when they had a failure,and the funny thing is,I dont ever recall having to walk home when I had one,or call for assistance--they either never broke down,or they could limp home and be fixed later..

My friend told me this.."Dont think your car is the worst one to fix--it aint!--it is FIFTEEN years old,you should see the ones less than 5 years old..you'd never want to own one!"...

Maybe I'm just getting to be an old fart,but I sure miss the 79 Chevy pickup with the straight 6 I had...I actually felt at ease driving that ,knowing I could fix ANYTHING on it,even on the side of the road,if need be..I think I was born 20 years too late...always liked the old cars,old machines,when things were simple and could be fixed easily and CHEAP...and were built to last,so you weren't fixing them constantly too..but most of all,you had peace of mind driving them,knowing you weren't doomed should you have a mechanical issue..

·
Registered
833 Posts
Now this 1984 GMC, served me very well for 5 straight years:
- 90,000 original miles on 305-V8, and new rebuilt 350C auto.
- upgrades include full stainless steel exhaust, tires, and bench seat redone
Winter Oil undercoated yearly, when driven daily - now garage stored year round / sheet metal all original panels.

Now this is when a truck was still a truck, much like Tractor-Holic's 1979 Chevy pickup.
Go forever, but now I got to many old ones, to keep hanging on to them all !!

------------------------------------
Beaumont { : > ))
1992 JD 318 original paint w/484 hr.Onan P218, 1998 JD GT262 w/new Kawasaki OHV, 19xx Ford LGT,
JD #49 blower, 1986 Toro 824 snowblower, Honda HS624 track drive blower, STIHL 2 stroke F5 85 & F5 35 grass trimmer,
TORO 20526C push mower 21" Recycler w/Suzuki 4 stroke, HONDA CT70 MiniBike & COKE COOLER Chest
1965 Malibu S/S, 1985 Monte Carlo S/S original paint, 1987 Pontiac GTA original paint L98-TPI
1966 Beaumont Custom original paint,
1967 Beaumont Custom, 1967 Beaumont Custom original paint, 1967 Beaumont 396-350HP Sport Deluxe M21-411's
- SOLD 1970 GTO Judge RAIII, original paint, triple black, # match, 4 speed

·
4K Poster!!!
4,504 Posts
I like the old iron best - in tractors, cars, and trucks.
My '99 Cherokee is just modern enough for me - just enough, not too much, easy to work on. It's not the best on gas, but what I don't pay for in repairs and aggravation more than makes up for that. Plus, the 4WD is a blessing up in these hills in the winter.
They can keep these new cars, I don't want anything to do with them!
Bad enough they use your own car's computer to spy on your emissions, the computers now record information like an airplane's black box. If you're in an accident, the police have software to get the data out, so they know how fast you were going, seat belts on/off, brakes on/off, etc.
Phooey! It's enough to make an Edsel look good!
Just call me an old phart, but that's my story, and I'm stickin' to it!

TH, don't let it get you down - even the pros don't like this new garbage. Every thing is made to be fast and cheap to assemble, to heck with serviceability.

Non illigitimus carborundum.

·
Banned
2 Posts
I'm 16 and am looking into becoming a mechanic or some sort of truck driver. I currently work at a shop a couple days a week learning and helping them out. We get a lot of mini vans and these cars that you have to remove parts to reach the oil filter and we get a vehicle once and a while with these push in oil plugs that will drain the oil by just pushing it in, we had to refuse service a couple times because of these failing and not working. These newer cars are pains, but some of the older ones we wish we never had to see in the first place. We had one once with fuel lines and brake lines that were flaking and expanding every tie you pressed the brakes or turned the car on, the lady that owned it would not fix anything more than doing the coupon oil change and tire rotation. Some how it drove away with out any problems.

People tell me not to do this line of work in the future, but I'm not capable of sitting in front of a computer, talking to irate customers or trusted with anything larger than a lawn mower except from my boss. My boss is the only one that has trusted me with moving a vehicle and so far I have not screwed up so I'm pretty happy with my self and I'm doing every thing I can to learn while I can before it costs me money. Can't beat a free education, even if you don't get a piece of paper that says you know something.

I will be honest 20 years ago i would have said go for it ...I got my Ticket in the auto trade and small engines ..But had to go to school again when they came out with all this new stuff ..I had to up date all the time ABS,EFI,And soon not to mention all the *** tools. I have one comp that cost more then my tool box and half the tools in it ..Plus you have to buy the upgrade for that to when they make changes ..If you want to specialize in one thing go for it ...As for the truck driving i did that for 2 years loved it Got my AZ and went all over ...I came off the road when my youngest was 2 and went back to playing with small engines ...Do i miss the auto trade yes i miss all the fun i had building my 72 nova and my 80 Z28 and my 86 crew cab dully ..I also miss working on the early foreign cars i loved Nissan 280 Zs and the Toyota trucks ..wasnt to Fussy on the VWs ...I started to lose interest about 2000 ..I build street cars now and i have a 76 vega pro street car i am doing now its in my pics in my pro so is my 75 elcamino ..I will work on a few cars here and there but i dont do it like i used to ....

·
Banned
2 Posts
Now this 1984 GMC, served me very well for 5 straight years:
- 90,000 original miles on 305-V8, and new rebuilt 350C auto.
- upgrades include full stainless steel exhaust, tires, and bench seat redone
Winter Oil undercoated yearly, when driven daily - now garage stored year round / sheet metal all original panels.

Now this is when a truck was still a truck, much like Tractor-Holic's 1979 Chevy pickup.
Go forever, but now I got to many old ones, to keep hanging on to them all !!

------------------------------------
Beaumont { : > ))
1992 JD 318 original paint w/484 hr.Onan P218, 1998 JD GT262 w/new Kawasaki OHV, 19xx Ford LGT,
JD #49 blower, 1986 Toro 824 snowblower, Honda HS624 track drive blower, STIHL 2 stroke F5 85 & F5 35 grass trimmer,
TORO 20526C push mower 21" Recycler w/Suzuki 4 stroke,
HONDA CT70 MiniBike & COKE COOLER Chest

1965 Malibu S/S, 1985 Monte Carlo S/S original paint, 1987 Pontiac GTA original paint L98-TPI
1966 Beaumont Custom original paint,
1967 Beaumont Custom, 1967 Beaumont Custom original paint, 1967 Beaumont 396-350HP Sport Deluxe M21-411's

- SOLD 1970 GTO Judge RAIII, original paint, triple black, # match, 4 speed

yup i miss them too

·
Retired Mod
3,734 Posts
I hate working on them anymore also, but one good thing about down here is you dont have to add in rust/rot to the misery. just the other day we had an 03 mazda pickup come in for an oil change & i noticed it had CT plates. when i got in the pit i looked up to see a rusted peeling frame & i chuckled. a few minutes later i went to check the rear diff fluid & got a face full of rust! :banghead3

·
Banned
2 Posts
Well I just had to chime in on this one . For everyone that has these type of experiences - I have this type of stuff happen all the time . I am and have been in the Automotive service & repair business for around 30 years now and often wonder what the h_ _ _ I was thinking when I decided to do this . Most people have no clue as to some of the issues that we have to deal with -the list is a mile long . All I can say is I feel your pain every day !

I hear you on that ...was in it for15 and baled lost interest in it

·
Banned
2 Posts
I hate working on them anymore also, but one good thing about down here is you dont have to add in rust/rot to the misery. just the other day we had an 03 mazda pickup come in for an oil change & i noticed it had CT plates. when i got in the pit i looked up to see a rusted peeling frame & i chuckled. a few minutes later i went to check the rear diff fluid & got a face full of rust! :banghead3

yes that sucks to but i hated the snow and salty slush ...Rust is a big prob up here *** salt they use on the roads ...it eats everything even the wiring .

1 - 20 of 55 Posts