My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
JoaT,MoN
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks, it sure has been a while since I last visited - I apologize for my absence, but back surgery made the tractor off-limits all of last year, and I really shouldn't be on it yet this year since they're not done with my spine yet, but the grass needs mowed.

I had one front tire that had a hole, so I plugged it. That lasted for one mow. The tire was flat again the next time I went out, so I poked around the hole and discovered the el-cheapo plug from HF didn't seal. I put another plug in and cut the grass. The tire was almost flat again by the time I was done.

All four tires are pretty much done, so I decided to go ahead and replace them all. Right now, I think I've settled on Carlisle
or All-Trails for the rears, but I haven't been able to decide on a front.

The tractor is a Deere GT235, with 16x6.50-8 on the front, and can take either 23x10.5-12 or 24x12.0-12 on the rear (according to the Deere parts website). It currently has Titan Multi-Trac tires on it, which apparently became Carlisle sometime after my tires were made - I'm pretty sure they are OE from '96.

The tasks the tractor perform are mowing, pulling a trailer, and pulling stumps, logs, and huge rocks around the yard. I will be getting a Johnny Bucket or equivalent for it, but I do not have it yet. It does not snow here, and my gardening has to be done in raised beds since 'maters don't grow so well in limestone.

My yard is a slope up to the house, and fairly flat in the back. The back is wooded, though, with live oak, cedar and mesquite trees, and lots of little stumps from the previous owner of the home. The cedar trees drop branches with sharp thorn-like things on them, and I'm pretty sure that's where the hole I've been fighting with came from. The first three or four inches is all decomposing cedar needles and leaves, so it is soft dirt and the Multi-Tracs will spin if I sneeze to hard. At a few locations in the front yard, the front tires won't turn the tractor - mainly when turning up out of the drainage ditch; they just push straight ahead.

Based on that info, I'm leaning towards the V61 6-ply tires with a pre-Slimed tube. Is my thinking sound with the Field Trax and V61's, or should I stick with the TurfMasters on the front and/or rear?

Field Trax: "Designed to get things done in the field and around the farm."

All-Trails: "Purpose-designed for use on hard surface conditions. Low, wide profile with sturdy 4-ply rated carcass reduces soft, wallowingchassis roll commonly experienced with other tires. A unique, tight tread pattern offers up a silky smooth ride experience. The All Trailtread pattern, couple with a specially formulated compound, delivers durable, extended tire life. Responsive, predictable and levelhandling on pavement, concrete and hard-packed soil."

TurfMaster/Multi-Trac: "Our Turf Master/Multi Trac line is the choice for professional users requiring the highest performance and dependability from theirequipment. These commercial grade tires feature our most durable tread compound with deep tread elements in a profileoptimized for stability and traction."

V61:

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
I've got Tru-power ags on the back of all my tractors. They don't hurt the yard unless you spin them and I've got to be trying to get them to spin before they do. Plus I personally like the looks of the ags on the rear of a tractor. I'm useing the v-61's on the frt of all of them too.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
If your punching holes in the tires I would go with 4 or 6 ply rated tires so it's harder to punch holes in them.

·
JoaT,MoN
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just ordered 4-ply ITP All Trail tires (same tread pattern as the Carlisle All Trail) from BikeBandit for $129.90 shipped for the rears, and the 6-ply V61 from Miller Tire for the fronts.

$250 in tires for the tractor....the wife is gonna blow a gasket :hide:

·
Registered
695 Posts
I've got Tru-power ags on the back of all my tractors. They don't hurt the yard unless you spin them and I've got to be trying to get them to spin before they do. Plus I personally like the looks of the ags on the rear of a tractor. I'm useing the v-61's on the frt of all of them too.
This combo is hard to beat. Especially after they have all 4 been filled!

·
JoaT,MoN
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This combo is hard to beat. Especially after they have all 4 been filled!
I was planning on putting pre-slimed tubes in the V61s. I'm not sure I can fill those....but with the V61 being a 6-ply tire, I shouldn't need to worry about punctures that a slimed tube would protect against. So I guess I could fill the tubes...

·
JoaT,MoN
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wow... I ordered the All Trails yesterday morning, and they were sitting by the door when I got home tonight :trink39:

I gotta make a couple calls tomorrow and see if anyone will mount them for me for less than $50. If they want more than that, I'm going to HF and getting the tire changer thingymahjig.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts