My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As a new homeowner, I'm looking to add a chainsaw to my tool selection. Currently I have been borrowing my fathers Husky 55 with 16" bar which I have used for years now, and have become quite comfortable with. My current chainsaw needs will probably be limited to 20 hrs or so a year for tree work and firewood processing on my property and the 16" bar would be fine for probably 99% of my use. With that said I know I could go with some of these smaller homeowner saws to meet my needs for now, but I plan on having this thing forever and don't want to limit myself in the future. Therefore I'm looking for some feedback on what are some comparable saws out there today in the 50-60cc size with a 16" or 18" bar. Also please limit to Husky and Stihl models as those are what my local saw shop carries. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,779 Posts
We have a MS210 Stihl with a 20'' bar right now and we love it. You can get a 16'' bar on it. Neighbor has the MS180 with the 16'' bar and it is a great little saw.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
As a new homeowner, I'm looking to add a chainsaw to my tool selection. Currently I have been borrowing my fathers Husky 55 with 16" bar which I have used for years now, and have become quite comfortable with. My current chainsaw needs will probably be limited to 20 hrs or so a year for tree work and firewood processing on my property and the 16" bar would be fine for probably 99% of my use. With that said I know I could go with some of these smaller homeowner saws to meet my needs for now, but I plan on having this thing forever and don't want to limit myself in the future. Therefore I'm looking for some feedback on what are some comparable saws out there today in the 50-60cc size with a 16" or 18" bar. Also please limit to Husky and Stihl models as those are what my local saw shop carries. Thanks.
For you I think a good old Stihl MS290 would work just fine. I would also consider the Husky 455 Rancher, as well as the MS362/361 if you want a saw with some balls.

Unfortunately due to the EPA, you can't expect the life of a modern stock saw to be what they use to be. However, with a modded muffler and removal of the limiter caps on the carb, they will last a lifetime. Keep it in tune and run good fuel also.

Good Luck. :trink39:

·
I Love All Color Tractors
22,321 Posts
I have a Stihl MS-180 with a 14" bar and absolutely love it. As has been mentioned, I believe that it can be fitted with a 16" bar comfortably. I like the 180 because it is a light and powerful saw that I can run for hours without fatigue. I do keep an old Stihl 036 around for when I need a big saw for big stuff, but that old beast will wear you out when using it on smaller stuff.

I picked up my 180 for around $200, BTW.

·
the "AWOL member"
4,954 Posts
I've got an ms290 with both a 20in. and an 18in.bar and have not had a moments trouble.My usage is pretty much the same as you have stated.It's just a little on the heavy side but once you get to cutting you never notice it.Good luck and keep us posted as to what you pick out.:fing32:

·
Registered
454 Posts
Husqvarna 445 or the 450!

Stihl MS250 or MS270.

Avoid the Husqvarna “Rancher” saws (455 rancher), and also the Stihl MS290

I know you said not other brands, but I have to point this one out. If you can find a local dealer who sells Dolmar it would be well within your interest to check them out!

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Just bought an Echo CS-370 http://tinyurl.com/2c9fpde . Althought I haven't used it much yet, the bit I have used it it's great, well balanced, lots of power, 5 year warranty + lifetime on the coil.
If it's anything like their weedeater it'll last forever, the **** I put that poor eater thru and it still starts on the second pull everytime......Mike

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The 55 I've been using is of the early to mid-90's vintage. The question I have is whether a 55cc engine of 15-20 years ago would be comparable to the same size engine of today in terms of power. Personally I think the power to weight ratio of that saw is about perfect for what I do and my size (6'4" 240lbs). I think it is a fairly heavy saw for a 16" bar compared to the current 35-50cc models but I feel that the added weight gives me better control but doesn't fatigue me, plus has a enough power that I don't feel like I'm wrestling with it. For now I'm thinking the Stihl 250-290 and the Husky 445-455. The best thing will be to go in to the shop and see how each feels in my hands. I'm still looking into finding echo and dolmar dealers as well. Thanks.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Echo dealer is 9 miles away and Dolmar is 30 miles away. I'll still probably check them out as well. Are Echo and Dolmar about the same money as Stihl or Husky for a camparable saw? Thanks.

·
Registered
454 Posts
The 55 I've been using is of the early to mid-90's vintage. The question I have is whether a 55cc engine of 15-20 years ago would be comparable to the same size engine of today in terms of power. Personally I think the power to weight ratio of that saw is about perfect for what I do and my size (6'4" 240lbs). I think it is a fairly heavy saw for a 16" bar compared to the current 35-50cc models but I feel that the added weight gives me better control but doesn't fatigue me, plus has a enough power that I don't feel like I'm wrestling with it. For now I'm thinking the Stihl 250-290 and the Husky 445-455. The best thing will be to go in to the shop and see how each feels in my hands. I'm still looking into finding echo and dolmar dealers as well. Thanks.
Stihl MS250 or 270 (Not the 290) or the Husqvarna 445 or 450 (Not the 455). Either of these saws will outperform the 55 that you have been using, and will also could last you a lifetime. Any of the four mentioned saws will be equal in size and weight to what you are used to. The MS25-270 will cut about the same in terms of speed and power. The Husky’s on the other hand have been “upgraded” over the years and these two saws are very fast cutting saws.

If you go with the MS290 or the 455 Rancher, you will be adding another couple of pounds to what you are used to without any performance upgrade. You will also be taking a step backwards with the anti-vibration system.

Now I can’t really speak for Echo, because I could never get past their antique clunky feel, but Dolmar makes a very good well built saw. The price is a little cheaper, and you can get a true “pro saw” for the price range you are in. However, if you have to drive too far it’s not worth the savings.

·
Lawn Boys Never Die
2,049 Posts
One word, STIHL!!! I love mine. I have a stihl blower as well, I will not but any other brand of small outdoor equipment. I recently got my father hooked on Stihl products and he is sold as well.

·
Member 800 post club !!
953 Posts
I have an echo, probably 6 years old, excellent saw. Powerful, well balanced, and just works so easy. I highly recommend echo, but really any good name brand saw will do you fine for homeowner use like we would use it for.

·
Registered
214 Posts
when I bought my Dolmar 510 I looked at all the others mainly the stihl ms290 and the dolmar was less money and more comfortable for me and I do not regret it I just used it yesterday for the first time in a few months it started on the second pull it does not wear me out even after cutting all day but my friends all have the ms290s and love them so just check them out and see which is more comftable to you that was the deciding factor for me

hope this helps

·
Registered
2,296 Posts
I had to buy a new saw this year so I went to see my stihl dealer. ended up with a ms250 with 18" bar. does great on everything I've thrown at it. good weight and plenty of power. If I remember correctly it was $300

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Just to keep you all informed, I am no longer in the market for a saw. I called home the other day only to have my mother tell me that my dad was outside finishing the last of his wood. Come to find out, he decided to go out and get a new stihl ms250 and give me the husky 55. I had talked to him last weekend and told him I would have his saw back to him this week and he said he wasn't in any hurry!! Well anyway, thank you guys for your input.

·
Registered
34 Posts
the 290 is a good saw but for about 30 more you can get a ms310 with almost 1 hp more but for what you need a ms250 would be great I've been a logger and I was also a Stihl gold certified wrench and sales man for a number of years and if any one has any old Mall or Pioneer saw I collect them for running display if they dont run thats all the better I like to tinker I even have a few scars on my cheek from a pioneer p-50

1 - 19 of 19 Posts