My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,953 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a tilting enclosed (clam-shell) snowmobile trailer.

Will it work to transport a tractor (stx38 or a 345)?

Can they climb the tilted trailer? or will I need to use a ramp? (I do have treads that allow a sled to crawl right up! probably a 30 degree angle-

Seeing as it is enclosed it shoudl make for clean transporting in any weather...

It anyone uses a tilt bed sled trailer for their tractor let me know your results!

as always thanks for any info- :thThumbsU

·
Registered
484 Posts
It should climb it no problem. Mine a la145 climbed up on my tilt bed sled trailer.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Before I bought my own utility trailer this year, my good friend lent me his single ski-doo trailer this year. This is what happened:
- 49 blower (attached to 318 Deere - 50" deck off unit) was catching on the end of the trailer (had to use very short ramps to get the clearance, to drive up)

My trailer buddy has a GT235 Deere with a 48" deck, that will drive up the trailer end fine, but the mower deck won't clear the top of the fenders. He bolted two 2x10"'s down on the ski guides of the trailer. Now the Deere sits 2" higher on the trailer and the deck clears the tops of the trailer fenders.

--------------------------------------
Beaumont { :>)) www.petperfectexpress.com
Golden Rule - "he who has the gold, makes the rule"
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.mytractorforum.com/showthread.php?t=135888 http://www.mytractorforum.com/showthread.php?t=136600&page=3
1992 JD 318 original paint w/484 hr. on P218g Onan & #49 snow blower / 1998 JD GT262 w/brand new Kawasaki OHV & 48" rebuilt deck
http://www.mytractorforum.com/showthread.php?t=135838

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
I've have tilt trailers, one 5X8 and the other 6X12. Found that the tilt angle was almost too steep for any of my garden tractors to make it up. If has/is raining or winter with snow you might be out of luck. I find my tandem axle trailer with ramps works best. Snowblower or tiller always dragged with tilt trailers.

·
Registered
3,953 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just watch your head!
you are right about that! when you ride a sled you always have a helmet on but I have hit it a couple of times... luckily I have a very hard head! :banghead3

seems like more are leaning toward "it will work" but worst case I will need a couple of ramps, but I will give it a try and post the results only way to know for sure...

FWIW the sled trailer is 102" wide x 120" long... (8.5'x10')

·
Citizen of Earth
15,295 Posts
I used a tilt bed trailer for many years to transport a Deere 316. Used the tilt feature the first few months and then got ramps. Had to drive too fast to get up the slope before loosing traction, and then the bed would suddenly tilt with a THUMP and it seemed I had about half a second to come to a stop before hitting the front of the trailer. Not too bad in the morning when I was bright eyed and alert. A lot more tricky and dangerous at the end of the day when I was tired and slow to react.

·
Registered
3,953 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I used a tilt bed trailer for many years to transport a Deere 316. Used the tilt feature the first few months and then got ramps. Had to drive too fast to get up the slope before loosing traction, and then the bed would suddenly tilt with a THUMP and it seemed I had about half a second to come to a stop before hitting the front of the trailer. Not too bad in the morning when I was bright eyed and alert. A lot more tricky and dangerous at the end of the day when I was tired and slow to react.
what you are ssying is what I was thinking, have to hit it pretty hard, the sleds crawl right up but with a track there is a "bit" more traction... (160 HP does not hurt either)

I have the springs on my trailer so it will not tilt back down even when fully loaded, you have to lower it by hand. they really come in handy without them you needed someone to hold the trailer while you drove the sled up, and if loading two it was 2x the trouble...

the other concern is the trailer is well balanced for snowmobiles, in other words if you backed your sleds on you could NEVER tilt it back down, as most of the weight in a sled is in the front 60%, a tractor with a seat tank loaded with gas will have to crawl way up there to get the balance right, and an imporperly balanced tounge is never good for towing...

I will post some results and pics once I attempt it, maybe this weekend.

·
Registered
3,953 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just watch your head!
great looking husky!

I miss mine he only lived for 10 years but they were good ones. one blue and one brown eye, the most gentle natured dog ever, but folks would stop dead in their tracks when he came running out of the garage. looked just like a wolf.

cannot explain how much he loved the snow, loved to tunnel through it, and his pulling power was amazing!

and with a husky thgre is no DOG SMELL, even wet! after he was full grown NEVER had to bath him in years, they lick themseleves clean like a cat, but the shedding of hair can drive you nuts...

just my .02!

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
MXZRXP
I have a Triton 8'/10' tilt bed snowmobile trailer. It works out great for me. I put a few rows of hex head screws in the bed for traction and have no problem climbing up even when it is wet.

·
Registered
3,953 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
MXZRXP
I have a Triton 8'/10' tilt bed snowmobile trailer. It works out great for me. I put a few rows of hex head screws in the bed for traction and have no problem climbing up even when it is wet.
you are right on!

I got the 345 today and it crawls up better than my sled actually, amazing!

·
Red Tractor Fan
1,704 Posts
I have used my BIL's a few times and it does work great... The trick is moving two tractors! You need to put one on and the find the "balance point" and strap it down. Then you can have some one stand on the end to tilt it while you drive tractor #2 up. I never had an issue driving them up, but the screwed in hex bolts sounds like a great idea!

·
Registered
3,953 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
ok here are the results, almost disastrous I might add!

The tractors both (stx38, 345) crawl up the trailer without a problem going forward, no added weight. Neither will back up the trailer. All I have is the traction mats I use for my sleds.

I worked a long day at camp on Saturday. I went to put the STX38 back in the trailer, not having much practice with it I pressed the clutch too soon before the brake and the machine started to roll back then slide down, no problem I immediately pushed in the clutch to let it free roll off the trailer but when I got to the bottom my foot slipped off the clutch and the STX popped a wheelie and came right over backwards on heading right for me…

It was one of those slow motion accident situations, my back hit the gravel drive and luckily I did not hit my head, I could see the tractor directly over me coming down, I was able to reach up and kick the loeft sideboard forcing the tractor to land on the side of its wheels and bounce landing upright and not on me. Minor scratches to the rear fender… my left knee hurts barely…

Sad part is the real motivation was I could see my BRAND NEW hood getting smashed to bits had it landed upside down! So save the hood was the thought, save the man came 2nd.

For the record the tractor had all the safety switches bypassed when I got it, I reattached all of them, when I came off the seat with the tractor in gear the motor shut off like it was supposed to do! Please leave those safety switches intact. On the 345 the guy shorted the seat switch!

With the hydro tranny in the 345 a wheelie is tough so it probably would not have come over backwards, but there is NO WAY I would have been able to man-handle the 345 like I could the tiny STX, could have easily been the last ride!

Be careful out there… :trink40:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts