My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

I currently have a 318 that i use for mowing and snowblowing. The machine has just over 700 hours. MrBeef has been teaching me about some maintenance items on my tractor over the last few months (huge thanks MrBeef!) and as part of that process we found that compression is at 90/80 on my b43g. That explains the smoke I suppose!

Anyway I've got a pretty large garden and would like to till with mty garden tractor. So, the options are either a hydraulic tiller for my 318, or, a second tractor just for tilling and backup mower duties. Given my lack of knowledge regarding fixing these machines the hydraulic tiller probably makes more sense particularly when couple with issues surrounding storing a second tractor) but I really just want a second tractor for tilling.

So, what are people's thoughts? What would be a good 2nd machine. I've been thinking about a 200 series tractor, maybe the 212 linked below?

http://desmoines.craigslist.org/grd/3727482126.html

My main concerns would be how does the model 31 mechanical tiller compare in effectiveness to the 30 hydraulic tiller for my 318? Also, how do I control lifting the tiller on a 200 series tractor? Is there an electric lift option that i need on the tractor?

If I go with a second tractor it needs to be on the cheap side (less than 1,000 for the tractor, tiller, and deck)

Thanks for your thoughts everyone!

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I forgot to note, I think I would like the tractor to be hydrostatic, but maybe gear drive would be fine? Is one setup better than another for tilling?

Thanks again!

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Looks good, just more than I can spend. I'm really interested in comparisons between the model 31 mechanical tiller (200 series tiller, right) and the hydraulic tiller for my 318.

Also interested in some discussion of hydro vs gear drive.

Found this one too, price is right. Just wonder about condition.

http://siouxcity.craigslist.org/grd/3726710213.html

·
Three of my friends
9,004 Posts
The gear driven tractors are great tillers, they give one constant speed to till with an the 214 has plenty of power for that.

·
Diesels are awesome!
4,449 Posts
The main difference is how they're driven. The mule drive is a weird system, but I have heard it works very well.

·
Registered
3,535 Posts
Looks good, just more than I can spend. I'm really interested in comparisons between the model 31 mechanical tiller (200 series tiller, right) and the hydraulic tiller for my 318.

Also interested in some discussion of hydro vs gear drive.

Found this one too, price is right. Just wonder about condition.

http://siouxcity.craigslist.org/grd/3726710213.html
I would check into that one.The 214 has a first gear that would be great for tilling super slow when needed on the first pass and then shift to a higher gear and use the varible speed drive.

Plus you would not have the hassel of removing and installing the tiller on your 318.

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
Here are a few thoughts. My family has a mechanical tiller. Due to some horse trading they bought my 44 loader so I bought a 30 Hyd tiller with extensiontiller for them (same costs basically)-I also have a 30 tiller with extension and live 4 hours away. They LOVE the hyd tiller compared to the mechanical tiller. The hyd tiller can be reversed tine rotation so if you have a new garden or really hard ground your tractor pulls the tiller-the tiller doesn't push the tractor. There were drag bars (don't know the exact term) for the mechanical to help prevent it from pushing the tractor. You can get a rear driven hyd tiller (for the 400 series tractor but also works on the 300 series tractor) so it is easier to install/remove. But the belly drive is just fine as well.

The 200 series tractors had a different hitch but they also had the 30 Hyd tiller as an option.

If you want a second tractor why not get the same thing. If you need to mow/blow it is much easier to swap the implement over to the working tractor if one breaks down or rob a part over to get it working again. Plus you have the same filters/fluids between everything. My family has learned to get things in pairs like this (at least similar things). Just a thought. But if you are set on a 200 series tractor-get one. If you just want another tractor my vote is getting the same tractor as the spare.

The hyd tiller wins in my families book. They have tried the mech tiller-I have not but I know the hyd tiller works great. You can get a 3 point hitch made for the hyd tiller but it comes OEM with its own hitch mounts so you don't need to have a 3 point on the tractor.

·
Diesels are awesome!
4,449 Posts
I would look for one with dual extensions, with both you would have about another 1 1/2' of tilling width.

·
Gear Driver
332 Posts
My 31 tiller works well. I haven't used any other tractor mounted tiller so I can't compare the 2. The pros for me are they are cheap/plentiful and it will fit 100 series and 200 series from 68 to 87. So lots to choose from. I wouldn't think hydro vs gear drive wouldn't matter much while tilling but again I have only ever had gear drives:).

As for lift options you have manual, electric and hydraulic. It will be a heavy lift with a manual but you can get a lift assist spring to help. 2 things to make sure you have when buying it is the mule drive (very expensive if not bought with it) and the rear lift kit.

Hope this helps and have fun with whatever you end up with:)

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for hte thoughts all.

That's a good idea about doubling up on 318's, but I kinda want something different. Not to mention I don't have the funds available for a second 318 plus hyd tiller.

I've a got a call in about the 214. Anything in the picture of that machine scare you off? The seats pretty tattered and its certainly dirty! Anything else? Does the pictured 214's tiller have an extension? Kinda looks like it to me?

How would the height of the 214's tiller be controlled? Are they electric up/down?

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Oops, thanks for the lifting info Hammy! I guess i just need to hear back from the seller to see what lift option this specific tractor has.

·
Diesels are awesome!
4,449 Posts
If you're talking about the one in post #4, then it looks like it has manual lift.

·
Gear Driver
332 Posts
Oops, thanks for the lifting info Hammy! I guess i just need to hear back from the seller to see what lift option this specific tractor has.
NP. Manual lift is doable but the hydro lift certainly makes it more fun:)

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Bummer, I was talking about the 214 in post 4. With manual lift how do you control the tilling depth?

The hydro or electric lift is part of the tractor, not tiller, correct? Was it to lift the deck? If so what 200 series tractors had the electric or hydro lift?

·
Diesels are awesome!
4,449 Posts
The depth is adjustable with the rear hitch knob. The hydro and electric lifts were both options, and are not very common. The electric lifts are more common, but aren't as durable. The hydro lifts can lift the tractor's weight, but are not found as often.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

·
Registered
943 Posts
If funds permitted if it were me, I'd look into the second machine! I don't know about you, but I've hauled that big heavy fabricated 48 inch deck out from under my Husqvarna GTH27V48LS enough times to know that as soon as I can swing it, I'll be getting another machine for snow removal/plowing duties! :banghead3:banghead3:banghead3 And I just bought it last year! lol A geared machine would certainly give more consistent tilling results over a hydro, but it's not like tilling requires super precision speed control, it helps but many of us have done it and still do with hydros.

·
Super Moderator
13,363 Posts
OK, got it. This 212 is pretty close to me. Got a blower that I don't need, no tiller though. Does have electric lift. Owner says it smokes a bit upon startup but doesn't use oil otherwise.

http://desmoines.craigslist.org/grd/3737698763.html
Glad you posted this! That 212 is a little suspicious... "runs great" in the add but on contact the owners says it smokes on start up. hmmmmm of course you have seen my garage... so I try to justify not buying things... not that it really solves any problems.... I am also with Biker, something like a 214 or a 216 might be better than a 210 or 212.

I like the idea of a second 318 :) or a second tractor in general like I was saying the other day.

Also, I saw your post and realized we forgot to do another compression test on your engine once we finished it up. It might be a little better now. At least it sounds better :)

·
Diesels are awesome!
4,449 Posts
The 30+ year old Kohlers usually smoke a LITTLE bit on startup.

1 - 20 of 84 Posts