My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive killed this Ivy bed that has annoyed me for some time, I want to cover it with weed barier and 3/4" rock. Will a decent rental tiller grind this up for me to make it easy to pull up? My rental place offers 3 different sized tillers up to 6hp, any suggestion as to what size will do?

Thanks

Attachments

·
Deceased October 2017
21,767 Posts
Unless its REALLY dried out .. your gonna have a tangled mess no matter what size tiller you use..

Why cant you just leave it .. cover it with the weed block and stone ??

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Unless its REALLY dried out .. your gonna have a tangled mess no matter what size tiller you use..

Why cant you just leave it .. cover it with the weed block and stone ??
It's dried out pretty good afte r3 weeks of 100 degree heat and Roundup. Its stil la bit chunky in places and im concerned it will puncture the weed barrier and make the rock appear unevenly spread.

·
Registered
5,919 Posts
Looks like it will just wrap around the tines and be nothing but a PITA. Use a digging fork and pull it up by hand.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Yeah, that's a tangled mess waiting to happen. If you get a tiller, get the most powerful one they have for the job. Ideally, the woody part should be fairly far along decomposing if you want to incorporate into the soil.

If it was only the area you show in the picture, I'd get out the pitch fork and dig it up by hand and then go over it with the tiller to make sure.

·
Old Guy With Old Toys
1,178 Posts
Unless the vines easily break into very small pieces stay out of there with a tiller. The vines will wrap and cleaning the tines of vines is not fun. Burn the patch.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts