My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to drain the oil from my large frame tiller but I do not see any place to do it. Can I just take a bolt out of the case over?

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
I think you could just flip the tiller and drain it through the fill hole. Sort of like the oil in a newer push mower.

Jason

·
Registered
3,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You mean to say that the oil can not be changed in a new push mower the old fashion way?

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
Yup. We got a 20" push mower to use for trimming up in some hard to reach spots, and there is no drain plug. To drain the oil, you have to flip it upside down and drain it through the fill plug/ dipstick tube.

Jason

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
I have an 18093 tube frame tiller. I removed the large bolts holding the gear case to the frame and oil poured out. Seems the threads are right through the side of the gear case by design. I kinda expected the threads to have a solid bottom.

·
Bolens 1886-01
3,192 Posts
You mean to say that the oil can not be changed in a new push mower the old fashion way?
Yup, my newer push mower is a modern POS throw away model too. No oil change plug and I never noticed that when I bought it new. I just add oil when it gets low as this thing is definitely a throw away item.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
I think they expect you to change the engine oil from the fill tube with an oil change pump. The B&S in my MTD has the drain on the side, laying right on the frame. Makes a mess every change. I have not found a little pipe to extend the drain past the frame.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts