My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Bolens 1886-01
3,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to replace the input and output seals on my tiller for the large frame. Is there any trick to replacing the inner seal on the output shaft to the tines? I assume that inside seal keeps the oil in the case and the out seal keeps dirt out?? Anyone ever replace these :thanku:

·
Registered
3,488 Posts
You can make a sleeve out of a soda can, it is very thin metal. or polish the shaft really good. Then use grease on both shaft and seal. If after you polish it you don't feel anything sharp or a protrusion the seal is good to go.

·
Bolens 1886-01
3,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You can make a sleeve out of a soda can, it is very thin metal. or polish the shaft really good. Then use grease on both shaft and seal. If after you polish it you don't feel anything sharp or a protrusion the seal is good to go.
Thank you I will polish up the shaft. Everything is off now so that's all I need to do and should be able to swap them out. I guess I just poke a hole in the old one and try to pull it out. The inner one may be tough to get at.

·
Registered
3,488 Posts
Look on the bright side, they are no good anyhow. Just don't put any nicks on the shaft. Remember the sheet metal screw trick.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
I guess I just poke a hole in the old one and try to pull it out. The inner one may be tough to get at.
Poke a hole on either side and try to rock it out. Sharp and long spikes, screwdrivers, screws driven into holes, whatever works.

Inner one - I was looking at the parts diagram for a tube frame tiller(might be similar to large frame), and the only thing that occurred to me was to open the gear case and slide the shaft through so I could pull the inner seal. Bleh. But might be necessary.

·
Bolens 1886-01
3,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you for all your input! I was successful. Look for a post coming called 'how to change tiller seals' I will have pictures and p/n's of seals and how I did mine.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts