My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if some of you guys with the 647 tiller on your x700's could give me some advice. I currently have a 48" tiller on my 430, and was wondering if I should upgrade and get the rear pto and tiller for my X728. I love the fact that its AWD, and foot controls, so it would be probably easier to use, but the 430 and the 48 tiller are bought and paid for.

Thanks for any help

Adam

·
new nut but loving it
1,595 Posts
I would love to have a tiller for my 430... I have found two different ones and no share cash to buy them.:crybaby:

·
Registered
3,869 Posts
I was wondering if some of you guys with the 647 tiller on your x700's could give me some advice. I currently have a 48" tiller on my 430, and was wondering if I should upgrade and get the rear pto and tiller for my X728. I love the fact that its AWD, and foot controls, so it would be probably easier to use, but the 430 and the 48 tiller are bought and paid for.

Thanks for any help

Adam
I don't know what to tell you on the 430, but the 647 with awd is about a perfect machine as you can get, virgin sod or thick straw, it just goes without any jerking like the Troy Built Horse rear tine I used to have.

I have lots of videos of tilling with the 647 on my website under this.
http://www.1969supersport.com/videolinks.html

Rob

·
Super Moderator
18,652 Posts

Thanks for any help

Adam
My question for is Do you have a 3point Hitch for Your X728 right Now. Because if You do want to till with Your X728 right now You can with the 42inch Hydraulic driven Tiller Because it run's off the Mid PTO. That will save you about $800 right there though the 42 Hydraulic driven tiller does cost More than the 647 I use the 42inch to till 3 of my own acres twice a Year and several Other Gardens for Neighbors that equal about 10 acres a Year tilled. The Only Thing I would say if You did get a rear PTO and the 647. The Nice thing is the 647 can be used on the Deere 1 series sub compacts and 2000 series compacts will even run on the 3000 series and Higher numbered Deere Compacts and the fact that the industry standard Now Including Garden tractors is 540RPM Rear PTO. Say somewhere down the Line Deere replaces The X700 series with say the(fictitious X850 series) and it take a Limited Cat 1 3point and a 540RPM rear PTO You can continue to use the 647 on that new tractor Where you 2000RPM tiller on your 430 won’t be able to without a lot of Modification and as the Years go own Parts will become scarce for the tiller on the 430 considering they Last Made tillers for the 2000RPM PTO almost 20 years ago as of 2012:thThumbsU

·
Registered
3,869 Posts
My question for is Do you have a 3point Hitch for Your X728 right Now. Because if You do want to till with Your X728 right now You can with the 42inch Hydraulic driven Tiller Because it run's off the Mid PTO. That will save you about $800 right there though the 42 Hydraulic driven tiller does cost More than the 647 I use the 42inch to till 3 of my own acres twice a Year and several Other Gardens for Neighbors that equal about 10 acres a Year tilled. The Only Thing I would say if You did get a rear PTO and the 647. The Nice thing is the 647 can be used on the Deere 1 series sub compacts and 2000 series compacts will even run on the 3000 series and Higher numbered Deere Compacts and the fact that the industry standard Now Including Garden tractors is 540RPM Rear PTO. Say somewhere down the Line Deere replaces The X700 series with say the(fictitious X850 series) and it take a Limited Cat 1 3point and a 540RPM rear PTO You can continue to use the 647 on that new tractor Where you 2000RPM tiller on your 430 won’t be able to without a lot of Modification and as the Years go own Parts will become scarce for the tiller on the 430 considering they Last Made tillers for the 2000RPM PTO almost 20 years ago as of 2012:thThumbsU
You never fail to impress me with your wealth of information John.

No doubt you know the deal, were lucky to have you on this forum.:fing32:

Rob

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
While I am partial to the 400 series (I have a 400) I would sell the 430 and get all the parts/pieces to run the 647 on you X7 series. The 430 will last for a long time but at some point in the future it is just going to be a really old tractor. Sergeant is right eventually parts will dry up or become too expensive for practical use. That might not be for another 10-15 years but if you have the ability to upgrade, I would do it. You might get lucky and find a used 647...

·
Registered
573 Posts
I like my 647 and it does a great job and the X728 handles it well. I am not sure in your situation what I would do as I would not need 2 unless your plans are to eventually get rid of the one for the 430. Either way you got time to decide.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the info everyone, Rubadub, those are great videos. The one showing it breaking up the sod is amazing. I have the three point hitch for my X728, I would need to purchase the tiller and PTO. Sergeant, I was thinking about the hydro tiller, but I had one on a 318 and the only thing I did not like about it was the hydro lines going under the axle. Sometimes they would get really hung up on material in the garden and I was always worried about getting a hole in one.

Gonna do some more thinking....

Thanks

Adam

·
Premium Member
799 Posts
I have 2 rear tillers for my 4x0's. One of them came mounted the wrong way and tried to pull the tractor / tiller backwards making it a tough go to use it. When I mounted the other one which turns the way it is supposed to the tilling became much better. I believe the tines are still available for them and most of the other parts are standard off the shelf pieces and it is such a heavy duty unit for the amount you do with it and the fact that this is a hard chore for these things I would think the 430 / tiller combo would stand up (if only a bit better) than beating up a newer piece of equipment.

·
Super Moderator
18,652 Posts
Thanks for the info everyone, Rubadub, those are great videos. The one showing it breaking up the sod is amazing. I have the three point hitch for my X728, I would need to purchase the tiller and PTO. Sergeant, I was thinking about the hydro tiller, but I had one on a 318 and the only thing I did not like about it was the hydro lines going under the axle. Sometimes they would get really hung up on material in the garden and I was always worried about getting a hole in one.

Gonna do some more thinking....

Thanks

Adam
Well I have had the Hydraulic tiller for almost 9 years and with the two hose Brackets it doesn't Drag on the Ground at all and I have Never Had it stuck on anything! Yes it goes under the axle carrier still:thThumbsU

·
Registered
2,952 Posts
There is definitely a lot of good info here and from it I gather that the 647 + rear PTO would cost $500-$800 more depending on actual costs and extras. I also like that it is a 540 rpm unit.

That said it would appear to me that the 647 is a perfect match for the width of an X700 Series tractor's rear tires where the 42" hydro unit would be a bit thin. Not a huge difference but similar to the 47" snow blower vs 54" snow blower debate although with the 42" tiller you would definitely be driving over some recently tilled soil as you take the next pass.

My 2 cents - for the $s involved I would be hard pressed to justify the 42" hydro over the 647 PTO model.:dunno:

My disclaimer - I do not currently have a tiller for my X748 and do not anticipate purchasing one for it.:fing32:

·
Super Moderator
18,652 Posts
There is definitely a lot of good info here and from it I gather that the 647 + rear PTO would cost $500-$800 more depending on actual costs and extras. I also like that it is a 540 rpm unit.

That said it would appear to me that the 647 is a perfect match for the width of an X700 Series tractor's rear tires where the 42" hydro unit would be a bit thin. Not a huge difference but similar to the 47" snow blower vs 54" snow blower debate although with the 42" tiller you would definitely be driving over some recently tilled soil as you take the next pass.

My 2 cents - for the $s involved I would be hard pressed to justify the 42" hydro over the 647 PTO model.:dunno:

My disclaimer - I do not currently have a tiller for my X748 and do not anticipate purchasing one for it.:fing32:
Next spring I'll Take some Pictures for You Poney You would think That You would drive Over Fresh tilled soil But that is Not the Case I thought the same thing Before I Bought it. What is Nice with the Hydraulic tiller is that you can reverse the tiller on the frame and Back till which You can't with the 647 it ends of being well worth the Investment :thThumbsU

·
Registered
2,952 Posts
Next spring I'll Take some Pictures for You Poney You would think That You would drive Over Fresh tilled soil But that is Not the Case I thought the same thing Before I Bought it. What is Nice with the Hydraulic tiller is that you can reverse the tiller on the frame and Back till which You can't with the 647 it ends of being well worth the Investment :thThumbsU
Interesting. That would be good to see. :thanku:

·
Registered
3,869 Posts
Just curious here, whats the advantage to back tilling, if I till twice forward tilling its perfect, but if I do 3 passes I can turn it to like powder.

Rob

·
Super Moderator
18,652 Posts
Back tilling is for new Ground than Hasn't Been Tilled. The other Nice thing about the Hydraulic tiller's on say a established Yard that hasn't Been Tilled in say 30 years Perfect in one Pass I would even say it's Powder in one Pass:thThumbsU

·
Super Moderator
18,652 Posts
Powder may have been a Poor choice of words The Hydraulic tiller shouldn't require more than one Pass thru sod and it would be tilled right for Planting a Garden. My Garden is where a Old Barn & Barn Yard were until the 1960 The House was built in 1964 which is funny Because I'm as old as my House. It sure save me time over My Old 450 tiller 48inch which is the older version of the 647 used with the 425 thru X595 until 2004 when the 647 was marketed with the X700 series old Brother's the HD X400 & X500 series:thThumbsU

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.