My Tractor Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about Tractors? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Never used a tiller just a disc.
Can you make turns using it?
Can you back up if need be ?
If it gets caught up in any roots or other junk whats best way to get it out/unstuck?
Does the tractor run at full power/rpms?
Any help would be great

·
10,825 Posts
No turns with it running in the ground. Straight runs only is best.

You have to raise the tiller before you back up.

The tiller should not get 'stuck'. It will shear a pin, or the clutch will slip.

On your tractors tachometer, there is a 'pto' mark usually. Usually about 2/3 throttle, that is where you want it.

·
Premium Member
1,036 Posts
You can make small turns with tillers, I would say no more than a 30 degree turn. But I always raise the tiller and then position where I need to be a start again. 3point tillers are monsters at tearing thru stuff (at least the ones I have used) and I have ripped thru roots with no problem, but like Cat said, if it were to get stuck it will bust a shear pin.
Also a good result is to till in one direction, then go 90 degree to that if you can. I usually go over an area (garden mostly) 3 times to really loosen the soil.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I do have a mark on the tach . so thats where the rpms should be at is what your saying ..
usually when Im runnin the tractor either when ive disced or cutting grass ,or using loader i have rpms maxd out Is this Ok to do or should rpms be at that mark as well.

·
10,825 Posts
Is your Kioti a geared transmission or a hydro? If its a hydrostatic, keeping the rpms up is fine. If it is a geared transmission, running at half throttle is fine for disc work. The loader can be run at lower rpms, but you will likely notice the loader moving slower because of the engine speed.

On mowing, is it a belly mower, or a rear mower? Might make a difference, but either way, the pto mark on the tach is a minimum. For a belly mower, wide open throttle (WOT) might be what is recommended. You could check the manual if your mower is a factory one.

·
Registered
348 Posts
my yanmar has a 3 speed pto and i use 2nd gear at 16-1700rpm in easy soil, really tough ground I use 1st pto and pretty much full throttle.

personally I wouldn't turn much at all if any with a tiller.

I don't have shear pins on mine but it does have a clutch (which must be adjusted properly and reset from time to time). if I hit a big rock or some other underground nasty the tines stop, it's very apparent. just hit the clutch, raise the tiller and move on. however lime stone or other soft rocks just get chewed up. I doubt you'll hang a pto tiller up, as stated earlier they are very powerful implements.

as for backing up, the manual that came with mine covers backing up, tried it once but my little yanmar doesn't have enough hp to do much with it. the thing digs in REALLY fast and really deep, combine that with GA red clay and it's pretty easy to stall my little 14 (pto) hp tractor.

·
Registered
199 Posts
"If it gets caught up in any roots or other junk whats best way to get it out/unstuck?"

Crowbar, Straight Pick, Hacksaw, Wire Cutters, Pruning Shears, Serrated Blade so far. It all depends upon what your tiller tangles with. :eek:

·
Super Moderator
23,328 Posts
If it gets caught up in any roots or other junk whats best way to get it out/unstuck?
Does the tractor run at full power/rpms?
If the tines get tangled, shut down the PTO, shut off the engine, and use a pry bar through a universal to back up the tines enough to lift it out of the ground. Then carve out the junk with whatever is needed.

With PTO driven attachments, full power, or as indicated for PTO speed. For everything else, 1/2 to 2/3 throttle will deliver enough power to the ground to break traction well before the hydro develops enough pressure to pop the relief. FEL work at full throttle leads to a rough ride due to overcontrolling. Slow the engine until your control is as smooth as butter, then step it up as you become accustomed to the operation.

·
Registered
92 Posts
The mark on the tach is there to indicate that when you are doing that engine RPM, your PTO is doing 540 RPM. Or, if you have 1000 RPM capability, your PTO is doing 1000 RPM. Some equipment will not operate properly if doing less PTO RPM.

That's my 2 pennies worth and I am sticking to it....:thThumbsU

Tom

1 - 10 of 10 Posts