My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Considering getting a pre-owned 3 PTH, 540 PTO driven tiller for my 455. Any input appreciated on a JD 647 or JD 450 tiller (or other model).
Intended for homeowner use mainly for garden prep at home and at homes of my three kids (two have 3+ acres) in the area + the occasional help for friends/neighbors. AND because I want another tool!
Thank you.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using MyTractorForum Free App mobile app

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Do you have a three point and the rear PTO already?
I have the 647 set up for Cat 1 limited. The mounting points are made to move easily for Cat 0 three point hitches. The 647 is a beast and will do anything I have ever asked of it. You will need front weights.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wfburton159,
Thanks for the information. I have the PTO and am about to add the 3 PTH...the plan is RUEGG Cat 1.
I am finding that Tillers are difficult to find this time of year. I have contacted the seller on about 6 units and
all were sold in the last few days. Part of the challenge is the hunt!
Thank you.
Ken

P.S. Yes, have the front weights.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Well you are all set then. Or soon will be. I really need to get the second half of the PTO shaft shield replaced on mine.

Attachments

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wfburton159,
I must complement you on the look of your X485 set-up. Very impressive!
Enjoy,
Ken

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Meant compliment rather than complement.

·
AKA Moses Lawnagan
4,637 Posts
Considering getting a pre-owned 3 PTH, 540 PTO driven tiller for my 455. Any input appreciated on a JD 647 or JD 450 tiller (or other model).
Intended for homeowner use mainly for garden prep at home and at homes of my three kids (two have 3+ acres) in the area + the occasional help for friends/neighbors. AND because I want another tool!
Thank you.
If you can't find a JD tiller, take a look at Land Pride. Prices are comparable, they make a forward till as well as a reverse rotation model. For our size machines, they have a 42 inch and a 50 inch wide model. I have the 50" reverse rotation tiller for my X748. I've had it for almost ten years, use it every year in my garden and occasionally till gardens for hire. I've never had a single problem with it, it's extremely well made. Mine has a hitch setup that allows for Cat 0 or Cat 1. The 50" model is wide enough to cover your tire tracks. The X748 has plenty of power to turn the 50" model buried as deep as it can go; I'd highly recommend a slipper clutch on the drive shaft to help protect the transmission. Shear pins are fine, but every time you break one means stopping to replace it.

This is my second Land Pride tiller, I had a larger one with a different tractor, and I've also owned a 3-point finishing mower by Land Pride. All were trouble-free for as long as I owned them.

The 05 Series is the one you want to look at, and if you've never used a reverse rotation tiller, you owe yourself to try one. They dig deeper, and tend to clean the garden after several years, because they "herd" stones to the end of the row, rather than kicking them out the back, where you run over it again the next time. Occasionally, one will get jammed between the housing and tines, but once cleared, you never worry about that rock again. https://www.landpride.com/product-search/rotary-tillers

I made this video a couple of years ago, showing how well it tills plowed ground I generally plow once every Spring to bury all the leaves, grass clippings and horse crap from the stall, plus the 750-800 pounds of lime
I add. Then I till and lay out my rows. If I overlap my tilling, the skid will make my planting row for me, and there won't be a single tire track in the garden.

Attachments

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
KHodges,
Many thanks for the great information including links and photos! By the way, I once worked with a K. Hodges in Virginia.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using MyTractorForum Free App mobile app

1 - 8 of 8 Posts