My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

We have a disc harrow with one of the four disk gangs not turning. We noticed the discs are a bit loose and want to tighten them up. In the past this has solved the problem of the discs not rotating.
So we got the gang off the frame and tried to tighten the big end nut. Its mounted on a round threaded axle casing with a round axle inside (hopefully I'm getting the terminology right). There seems to be nothing to grab on to to stop the threaded part from turning with the nut. We tried using a pipe wrench but started crushing some threads. Holding the discs steady doesn't help. Any ideas?

Thanks
GGF

·
Old Stonebreaker
3,398 Posts
I think you need to take the big nut off and add some flat washers behind it to take up some slack. Put some antiseize on the threads when putting it back together. Have a big nut welded on the opposite end so you can get it really tight and don't spare the torque when you tighten it.
JMHO,
Mike

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks mla2ofus. The extra washers sound right. Don't think we can weld a nut on far end - the threaded axle casing seems not to extend beyond the end last disc, unless I'm mistaken. The axle certainly goes all the way through but it turns independently of its casing so its no help.
At any rate, taking the nut off would let us see what more of what's going on. I think the nut just won't budge but will try it...

·
Just passing through
8,422 Posts
Hi all,

We have a disc harrow with one of the four disk gangs not turning. We noticed the discs are a bit loose and want to tighten them up. In the past this has solved the problem of the discs not rotating.
So we got the gang off the frame and tried to tighten the big end nut. Its mounted on a round threaded axle casing with a round axle inside (hopefully I'm getting the terminology right). There seems to be nothing to grab on to to stop the threaded part from turning with the nut. We tried using a pipe wrench but started crushing some threads. Holding the discs steady doesn't help. Any ideas?

Thanks
GGF
Your bearings may be shot...:(

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
I agree with the bad bearings plus it might need the big washers as well. The blades got loosened up and that is what caused the bearing/bearings to go out. Peeled the seal out of the bearing face and the dust and dirt did their job.
I remember with a 20ft Miller cutting disc; that we added three or four washers in one fall season on corn ground. The spools can get worn when they loosen up and you must replace the spools or never get it tight and just keep making bearings go out as well. irrc

·
Registered
5,115 Posts
Good information given on this problem. That axle must be broken loose in there somewhere and needs to be inspected. Since you have apparently had to tighten this before it would seem that you have worn part(s) that need to be repaired or replaced.

Whatever the cause I'd sure dismantle that gang and check the bearings as well as clean all the dirt out of it. You'll never get it to hold tight if the spools are packed with dirt and weeds.

Probably be a good idea to check the other gangs at the same time.

Mike

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
I have never ran into a broken axle on a disc. When they loosen up the spools as well as the blades get worn and then the whole thing can get out of line and then the axle gets a groove etc worn it it and then with it all out of line(shifted either right or left) the bearings get killed. Checking the oil on the tractor and always trying to spin your disc blades are equally important. When greasing your bearings daily, try to be gentle with the grease gun. Pumping hard and fast will just force a major amount of grease out through the seal and then that will allow moisture and dirt to get to the bearing. Watch as you pump and look at the seal and you will see the dust pop off the seal and then a very thin line of grease will show around the edge of the seal. This good.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi all,

Thank you for all this excellent advice. We'll be taking another look at the discs in the next couple of weeks and will have a print out of your comments on hand!

Thanks again,
GGF

·
Registered
5,115 Posts
I have never ran into a broken axle on a disc. When they loosen up the spools as well as the blades get worn and then the whole thing can get out of line and then the axle gets a groove etc worn it it and then with it all out of line(shifted either right or left) the bearings get killed. Checking the oil on the tractor and always trying to spin your disc blades are equally important. When greasing your bearings daily, try to be gentle with the grease gun. Pumping hard and fast will just force a major amount of grease out through the seal and then that will allow moisture and dirt to get to the bearing. Watch as you pump and look at the seal and you will see the dust pop off the seal and then a very thin line of grease will show around the edge of the seal. This good.
Come to think of it I don't recall ever seeing a broken axle on a disk either. "Broken loose" in my earlier post may have been the wrong wording. I've seen bearing bosses broken, failed bearings, cracked spools, broken disks and loose gangs from assorted causes but not a broken axle. I suspect just the wear and tear of normal use suggests that a periodic tightening of the axle nut would be a good habit. Even doing this without cleaning the crud out of the spools and being sure they are firmly set against the disks would be hard to do. I've got to admit disks tend to be one of those things that get greased and ignored for the most part. I think that's called "breakdown maintenance". Shame on me.

Mike

1 - 10 of 10 Posts