My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
life is good
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
was messing around with a tig/stick welder I picked up a couple days ago.
It's a Lincoln percission mig 225, got a heck of a deal and couldn't turn it down.
Now I haven't got any pics but my welds look more like a mig weld, this is my first time useing a tig. Would yhis mean I'm moving to slow?
The pulse is off and I've got it set on AC with the Amps at 80 and the seting on penetration more than cleaning. Didn't like the auto setting.
Any ideas? I'll get some pics tomorrow if not sooner.
Thanks.:trink39:

·
Banned
297 Posts
dcen for steel and stainless,argon shielding,maybe 25-30 cfh,,tungsten probably ewth-2,sharp tip,,than you gotta figure out tungsten size[maybe 3/32],,collets,noozzles[cups],,gas lenses,,maybe that helps a little??

·
life is good
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok so dc negitive, I'm using argon but need to turn it up.
I'm useing 3/32 ewth tungsten.
Was thinking about picking up some gas lense consumables, didn't know about them when I got the welder.
Thanks

·
life is good
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oh yeah, I also switched to a smaller diameter rod and that helped a little as well as slowing down to heat the puddle up more.

·
Banned
297 Posts
I havn't done any tig welding for years,,so you'll need to talk to somebody who does to get the latest and greatest stuff,,one place I've ordered stuff out of lately is,,www.ramweldingsupply.com,,,they have much tig stuff,and ship pretty quick,,plus you can browse and see what all is offered.

·
Registered
149 Posts
was messing around with a tig/stick welder I picked up a couple days ago.
It's a Lincoln percission mig 225, got a heck of a deal and couldn't turn it down.
Now I haven't got any pics but my welds look more like a mig weld, this is my first time useing a tig. Would yhis mean I'm moving to slow?
The pulse is off and I've got it set on AC with the Amps at 80 and the seting on penetration more than cleaning. Didn't like the auto setting.
Any ideas? I'll get some pics tomorrow if not sooner.
Thanks.:trink39:
The Miller forum has some really good tig welders on it, also welding tips & tricks.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Here are some starting points.

Argon flow 12 to 15 Too much flow is as bad as not enough.
Amperage relates to material thickness. ball park 1 amp for .001" material
1/8" = 125 amp but the foot pedal will keep you out of trouble here.
2 % thoriated tungsten sharpen to a point. 3/32" for most apps 1/16" for lite material ( .060")
Weld everything but alum and magnesium in "dc neg electrode."
Clean the mill scale off tig doesn't like mill scale.
What were you practicing on ?
No need for gas lenses yet until you play around some . It is best to get a buddy that can tig weld to coach you along. Miller sit has much info

Regards

Wilber

·
Banned
297 Posts
Well,foot control pedal is generally out,,,gas flow,,if its blowing stuff around than its to much,,,you'll know it,,lotta info out there thats true,,but you gotta try stuff,,than seak the info,,,,,any dc stick welder is a tig,,,no hi freg,,no foot control for amps,,but x-ray quality welds are made every day with it,that way..gotta have a lot of sharpened tunstun on hand,,,like oxy act,,get your puddle going than add filler as needed....what you see,is what you have,,,,[unlike mig,stick][course,you know,,farmtech might have a foot peddle,,it is techy,,,but you don't need it for most things anyways],if you have it go man,,,,lets see them tig welds!!

·
life is good
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks wilber and everyone else.
I do have a foot pedal, and was practicing on some 1/2" steel I had lying around.
Also a big thanks for the help in amperage that was a bit confuseing as I'm new to this type of welding. I know my amps for mig and they are definatly different for tig.
As soon as I get a bit more comfortable with this I'll post some pics.
I've been to welding tips and tricks, that's how I got my welds to look a little better, but I'm learning a new type of welding and a new machine too.
Once again thank you all.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Practice on thinner mat. like 1/8" set your amps and vary with foot pedal.
Practice making a puddle without rod. The rod size for 1/8" could be 1/16" no problem. Tungsten 1/16" if you are under 150 amps. When you have the puddle down run a few beads flat. After that do some butt welds play with puddle. Make sure it is clean as tig is "fussy". When you dip the tungsten do yourself a favor stop regrind and weld again. Not regrinding compromises the weld and the arc will wander. A good helmet is a must auto darkening preferred shade 10 to start at that amp level.Good glasses also if you wear them.

er70s2 or s3 or s6 filler rods on mild steel will work fine. :)

·
life is good
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
:fing32: thanks a bunch!
I'll get some thin metal tomorrow or wednesday, and some 1/16 tungsten. The rod I'm useing is a re70s2 so I know I'm good there. I've been stoping when I dip the tungsten as you can see the arc change. I have a good auto helmet, a speedglass that has a 10 shade. This is really different from mig welding, like a whole nother world.
I really appreciate the help wilber:trink39:

·
life is good
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
well here is the first shot at tig welding.
Thanks wilber for the tips, I still have to learn to control the pedal better for my amps. This is 1/8" steel with a 1/16 tungsten and 1/16 rod as well. Just like was suggested.

Attachments

·
Registered
178 Posts
Are you sure that you have 100% argon and not a co2 mix.

If you are argon the what is your flow rate you have a gas delivery problem there.Is your machine a gas solenoid or do you come from the bottle to the torch . If that is the case then you need a torch with a valve as you can't turn argon off without a valve on the torch. Are you in dc neg electrode? Is this a new bottle of argon ? Is it marked argon? Is your regulator a flow type with a ball that floats? Or two gauges ?

Wilber

·
life is good
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Are you sure that you have 100% argon and not a co2 mix.

If you are argon the what is your flow rate you have a gas delivery problem there.Is your machine a gas solenoid or do you come from the bottle to the torch . If that is the case then you need a torch with a valve as you can't turn argon off without a valve on the torch. Are you in dc neg electrode? Is this a new bottle of argon ? Is it marked argon? Is your regulator a flow type with a ball that floats? Or two gauges ?

Wilber
Ok it's two guages and it comes from a bottle. But this bottle is about a year old.......I think maybe two.
Yes it was dc negitive. Maybe get a new bottle this week. And look into a torch. Thanks again and I'll read that this evening.

·
Registered
178 Posts
How much electrode protrusion do you have? 1/4"
Can you confirm pure argon is there a label on it ?

So if it comes direct from a bottle your not using a gas solenoid on the welder.
You are using a torch with a valve then.Direct to torch.Not through the welder.
Argon does not go bad.
The flow should be around 12 to 15 at most for mild steel.How do you know it is pure argon.Someone told you or it is marked.Which is it? How many psi showing on the bottle?
What size of alumina cup?

·
life is good
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
A bit more than 1/4 inch.
It says argon on the bottle and it does come through the welder. The guage says there is 1800 psi in the tank and I'm running too much gas as I have it set at 20. Cup size is a 6.
Really appreciate the help wilber.

·
Registered
178 Posts
When you step on the peddle you should hear the solenoid open for the pre flow. When you get off the pedal you will hear the solenoid close after the post flow time has been reached.You can put a candle in front of the torch step on the peddle and blow the candle out to confirm gas flow .Is it an air cooled torch that you have or a water cooled? You can do all this without striking an arc just have the torch in your hand.Also your weld test just try running a bead on the steel and not try to join 2 pieces together just start a puddle going to get the hang of it.Set the machine at 125 amps and start a puddle.Don't be afraid to step on the pedal. Moving the pedal is how the amps are controlled when the machine is set up for the pedal.

·
life is good
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ok I'll just try running beads then, I can hear the gas as soon as I step on the pedal and yes it is a gas cooled machine. The post gas flow I set myself with a dial on the machine. I'll take a pic of my machine tomorrow, and once again thank you for your help and knowledge. I really appreciate it.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts