My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last fall during rut a buck got into 2 of my Giant Thuja trees. He rubbed the bark completely off around the main shoot of the tree. Of course, the top part died off. I trimmed the dead branches off this spring and I looked today there is a new shoot about 4” long growing out of the center of the tree. I hope this will be the new center shoot but I’m wondering how strong it will be. Anyway, I don’t want this to happen again this fall. Does anyone know of a product that I could apply to keep the deer off these trees? I’m trying to grow these as a privacy screen and the deer killing off the center section isn’t helping any. :mad:
Plant Plant community Natural landscape Sky Tree

·
Administrator - We’re all friends here
16,528 Posts
My buddy puts fence netting around his evergreens. Seems to work well.

·
Registered
4,023 Posts
I have considerable experience dealing with deer as we have incredible pressure. In late Winter every time I walked out side, I could see at least 10-15 deer somewhere around the house if not in my yard, the neighbors. There are two options for dealing with deer, (and don't just say shoot them): Plant things they don't like or 8' high tensile deer fencing. This is what I had to install in preparation for the apple orchard.

Dog Plant Sky Cloud Carnivore
Sky Plant Land lot Wire fencing Mesh
Plant Sky Fruit Tree Food
Plant Tree Sky Land lot Wire fencing
Sky Plant Tree Land lot Grass

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys for all the replies. I'll have to see if the deer come around this year. They're putting in some developments near me so maybe that will push them out of the area, (hopefully).

·
Registered
667 Posts
When my wife and I had our 15 spruces planted we asked the tree company to spray them to prevent deer from eating since our deer around here eat whatever they can in the winter. Deer eat our evergreen hedges out front in the winter and we didnt want them to damage our new trees.

No signs of deer eating the spruces the first year or even eating the hedges that year. The tree company was unable to come this past winter and some deer started to nibble on a few spruces. We ended up buying deer and rabbit repellent spray (made by Liquid Fence) and that seemed to work.

Depending on how many you planted, I would call a reputable tree company to spray in the fall, or look at some type of temporary fencing (would just have to make sure it's either high enough or wide enough so they can't reach over. For what it's worth, we have a fenced in garden and deer haven't jumped in there and that is 4' high. We have also used burlap to wrap shrubs or (what eventually died not due to deer) apple trees and that was fine.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Mike for the reply. I hadn't thought about contacting a tree company. I only have 8 Thuja trees but they're in a critical location. I'll call my arborist and see if they spray trees. I was at my local TS store last week and saw that Liquid Fence stuff but I didn't know if it really works or is snake oil. LOL.. I'll have to investigate that product. Also, my trail camera picked up 2 buck moving through last night!!

·
Registered
667 Posts
We've been using liquid fence for our hostas too and havent had any deer or rabbit eat any major growth other than a nibble, so I'm taking that as it's working. They demolished our hostas last year. I don't mind spraying the hostas (we have a lot) but the 15 trees, I'd rather leave to the pros.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That's good to hear. My Thuja trees are only 6' tall and about 3-1/2' round at the bottom. They are in the pyramidal arb family. I have tank sprayers so I could handle spraying what I have for now. Do you know if there are temperature limits on Liquid Fence? Is it rain fast after a certain time and how often do you spray? Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
667 Posts

I haven't followed the recommended guidelines, generally spray every 2-3weeks (aka when I remember). We've sprayed in the cold Buffalo winter's and warm buffalo summers so far so good. Just looks like storage temp is max 90°. I'd recommend making sure you're in your outdoor clothes, my wife hates the smell of it.

Reactions: cadman56

·
Registered
856 Posts
You had me going ---- you should have said you planted cedar trees, they are some of the deer's favorite food. Up north, all of the cedars at shorelines are "trimmed" off at about 6 ft, depending on snow depth.

To your problem, to keep them out of the garden, we put up a 6 ft fence, that to date, seems to keep them out. The fence is "backed' by a hedge and a line of cedars so they can't get a run at it. Our cedars are outside the fence and they do eat the lower outer leaves/branches.

As for the rubbing, yes, we lost a sugar maple a few years ago when they completely girded it, 2 others survived as they were only maybe 1/4 girded. I put a wire "fence" around both trees, it has mostly kept them off for the last 6-7 years.

The wife feeds them corn so I can't use more "permanent" (tasty) measures.

Reactions: cadman56
1 - 14 of 14 Posts