My Tractor Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about Tractors? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd like to have a throttle stop for my Ford 1210.

As it is, when pulling the throttle back to idle, I have to "hunt around" in order to get down to idle speed without inadvertently shutting the engine off. And that's a pain when doing heavy work.

I was thinking of maybe using a spring type door stop where the red arrow is pointing. But that would be pretty clunky and ugly looking. :cautious:

Any other suggestions? :unsure:

Land vehicle Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tire Hood

Font Metal Office supplies Rectangle Cylinder

·
Premium Member
8,566 Posts
How about an angle bracket with a notch in it? Something like this, but cut the short end down to halfway through the round hole so that the end has a U shaped notch in the end, and mount it so that the throttle rod can rest in the notch. Paint it blue and it will look like it is original.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How about an angle bracket with a notch in it? Something like this, but cut the short end down to halfway through the round hole so that the end has a U shaped notch in the end, and mount it so that the throttle rod can rest in the notch. Paint it blue and it will look like it is original.

Interesting. :unsure:

Something like this?
Gesture Electric blue Font Logo Symbol

·
Premium Member
8,566 Posts
I was thinking more like the U facing out toward the end of the bracket instead of the side, like this (sorry for the poor photo edit).

The throttle rod still needs to be able to go back past that idle point in order to kill the engine, as that is the normal way to stop the engine on that model I believe, lower the throttle until no fuel is being delivered. So that notch in the bracket is just a guide for where to stop the rod so that it idles instead of dies.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was thinking more like the U facing out toward the end of the bracket instead of the side, like this (sorry for the poor photo edit).

View attachment 2513796

The throttle rod still needs to be able to go back past that idle point in order to kill the engine, as that is the normal way to stop the engine on that model I believe, lower the throttle until no fuel is being delivered. So that notch in the bracket is just a guide for where to stop the rod so that it idles instead of dies.
Ah. Got it. I just want to make sure that the rod can't get past the idle stop easily, like when I'm using the bucket.

Reminds me of a story...

A guy I worked with was a former Navy F8 Crusader pilot. He told me that one time he was watching a pair of those planes making a low and close flyby for an Admiral. All was going well until one of the pilots slammed the throttle lever back to idle (as planned) and the lever skipped right by the idle stop and shut the engine off! The pilot had to eject and was safely recovered, but seriously embarrased!

Turned out that over time and with hard use, the idle stop on the F8 would become rounded off and worn, allowing the lever to slide off the idle stop. Oops. :oops: :ROFLMAO:

F8 throttle.
Circuit component Font Auto part Machine Circuit prototyping

The bracket idea seems to be pretty good.

I also like the simplicity and low cost of the bolt style stop. Might have to go to Home Depot and buy a single bolt.

Or a bracket? :unsure: :p

·
Registered
139 Posts
Ah. Got it. I just want to make sure that the rod can't get past the idle stop easily, like when I'm using the bucket.

Reminds me of a story...

A guy I worked with was a former Navy F8 Crusader pilot. He told me that one time he was watching a pair of those planes making a low and close flyby for an Admiral. All was going well until one of the pilots slammed the throttle lever back to idle (as planned) and the lever skipped right by the idle stop and shut the engine off! The pilot had to eject and was safely recovered, but seriously embarrased!

Turned out that over time and with hard use, the idle stop on the F8 would become rounded off and worn, allowing the lever to slide off the idle stop. Oops. :oops: :ROFLMAO:

F8 throttle.
View attachment 2513830

The bracket idea seems to be pretty good.

I also like the simplicity and low cost of the bolt style stop. Might have to go to Home Depot and buy a single bolt.

Or a bracket? :unsure: :p
I just figured if your like me you have buckets of spare nuts and bolts laying around , also you could use a 3/8 bolt like I said and cut a piece of rubber 3/8 i.d fuel line to make a sleeve the bolt goes through to make it a anti-rattle padded stop. either idea would work , 100 different ways to skin a cat . either way a picture and performance report of what you end up doing would be outstanding. great story about the jet by the way .

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I just figured if your like me you have buckets of spare nuts and bolts laying around , also you could use a 3/8 bolt like I said and cut a piece of rubber 3/8 i.d fuel line to make a sleeve the bolt goes through to make it a anti-rattle padded stop. either idea would work , 100 different ways to skin a cat . either way a picture and performance report of what you end up doing would be outstanding. great story about the jet by the way .
As usual, I have plenty of spare nuts and bolts... but nothing in 3/8". 🙃
The rubber fuel line is a pretty cool idea too. I'll look around the shop tomorrow and see what I can dig up.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi guys! I finally got around to adding the bolt style throttle stop to my Ford 1210 tractor this morning. Didn't take long at all. In fact, it took me a lot longer to create the video than it did to do the installation! :ROFLMAO:

I ended up having to buy the nuts and bolt, etc. but the task itself was simple. :cool:

Thanks for the help! :)

·
Registered
139 Posts
Hi guys! I finally got around to adding the bolt style throttle stop to my Ford 1210 tractor this morning. Didn't take long at all. In fact, it took me a lot longer to create the video than it did to do the installation! :ROFLMAO:

I ended up having to buy the nuts and bolt, etc. but the task itself was simple. :cool:

Thanks for the help! :)

hahah , that's awesome ! I was wondering if you were gonna follow through. have you used the tractor much since you did it ?

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
hahah , that's awesome ! I was wondering if you were gonna follow through. have you used the tractor much since you did it ?
Actually no. Got it done this morning and didn't use the tractor afterwards. :sneaky:

I used the tractor a LOT before getting the throttle project done! That's one reason that I didn't have much time to work on the throttle.

But, I'm definitely glad that it's installed. I know that it's going to come in handy! :D

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
UPDATE: I used the tractor yesterday and today and the throttle stop works great!

Once the engine is warmed up, I can go from full throttle and chop it back to idle at the throttle stop and the engine performs normally.

Success! :D (y)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts