My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to increase my rpm's which are currently at 3150 fast Idle & should be around 3600. I'm hoping it can be done by adjusting the throttle cable but In looking at the setup looks like I'll need to remove the hood & grill to gain access. Need advise on how to make adjustments. Thanks

·
Registered
318 Posts
If memory serves me correctly, the older Kawasaki FD590V throttle/choke assembly is different than the latest Kawasaki FD611V series on the GX345 assembly. I think the newer model FD611V plate assembly has on one cable that needs to make the complete function. When you do get into doing this, don't do anything to the Governor assembly. 3600 rpm is the limit.

·
Registered
458 Posts
In looking at the setup looks like I'll need to remove the hood & grill to gain access.
For the record, all one needs to do to remove the hood and grille is unplug the headlamp harness then just slide the hood and grill forward out of the brackets in one piece. It takes seconds.

·
Registered
318 Posts
For the record, all one needs to do to remove the hood and grille is unplug the headlamp harness then just slide the hood and grill forward out of the brackets in one piece. It takes seconds.
Yes, that is the correct and only way to remove the hood/grill assembly from the tractor. Unplug the headlight harness and lift it off. BTW: You probably wouldn't believe how many 345 owners tried otherwise and cracked the hood trying doing so.

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
I need to increase my rpm's which are currently at 3150 fast Idle & should be around 3600. I'm hoping it can be done by adjusting the throttle cable but In looking at the setup looks like I'll need to remove the hood & grill to gain access. Need advise on how to make adjustments. Thanks
With the throttle at it's fastest setting, loosen the hex bolts on the throttle plate and move plate to the left until it reaches the proper rpms. Then, tighten the bolts. I believe the gx345 is 3550 +/-50.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
With the throttle at it's fastest setting, loosen the hex bolts on the throttle plate and move plate to the left until it reaches the proper rpms. Then, tighten the bolts. I believe the gx345 is 3550 +/-50.
Yes, that is the correct and only way to remove the hood/grill assembly from the tractor. Unplug the headlight harness and lift it off. BTW: You probably wouldn't believe how many 345 owners tried otherwise and cracked the hood trying doing so.
Ok, I tried & couldn't get the hood/grill to move. Do I slide it forward or lift it off or both? If it's slide it forward I assume that's away from the steering wheel. Also what part of the assembly did you hold? Seems pretty flimsy, afraid I'll try too hard & break it.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hello Marshallgang,
I put my fingers through the air vents relatively close to the grill. When the hood is nearly, but not completely open, it should simply pull forward. (away from the steering wheel) If it does not come right out, you either need to open or close the hood a little bit. If you had it in the right position, it should require zero force to pull it out.
Once you get it off, look for the screw sticking out of the left side of the throttle plate? mechanism? the part where your cables end? Loosening this screw will allow your highest RPM to increase. Once you obtain the proper RPM, make sure to tighten the lock nut and retest.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Hello Marshallgang,
I put my fingers through the air vents relatively close to the grill. When the hood is nearly, but not completely open, it should simply pull forward. (away from the steering wheel) If it does not come right out, you either need to open or close the hood a little bit. If you had it in the right position, it should require zero force to pull it out.
Once you get it off, look for the screw sticking out of the left side of the throttle plate? mechanism? the part where your cables end? Loosening this screw will allow your highest RPM to increase. Once you obtain the proper RPM, make sure to tighten the lock nut and retest.
That is not the way you open or remove the hood on a 345. There is a "cup/elongated indentation" on the dash panel right at the rear edge of the hood. You take your hands and grip the rear of the hood right at that point and pull up on the hood. It will swing up and forwards towards the front of the tractor. There you stand in front of the tractor and place left hand and right hand on the left and right side under sides edge and lift the hood up from the hinges from the two bolts that is bolted to the front of the frame.

·
Registered
318 Posts
I have an early model GX345, and this is the system that I have. I have independent throttle and choke if that helps.
My fishing buddy has a 2004 GX345 that has a different governor/throttle assembly on his tractor. So, when and why did John Deere make the change and for what reason? My '99 345 has the same assembly as you show in the photo you posted.

However, there is one thing difference from your photo and what mine now shows. I no longer have the original fuel pump. I installed a electric 12 volt one few years ago. Starts faster, runs better than when new.

·
Registered
458 Posts
If there is still any confusion as to how to get the hood off, open the hood and look at the brackets on either side of the front of the frame where the hood hinges. You’ll see how the hood hinge pivots/slides out.

·
Registered
32 Posts
My fishing buddy has a 2004 GX345 that has a different governor/throttle assembly on his tractor. So, when and why did John Deere make the change and for what reason? My '99 345 has the same assembly as you show in the photo you posted.

However, there is one thing difference from your photo and what mine now shows. I no longer have the original fuel pump. I installed a electric 12 volt one few years ago. Starts faster, runs better than when new.
Mine is either a 2002 or 2003, which does not have the diff lock, unfortunately. Does your friend's tractor have the single lever for throttle and choke? That is the only reason I can think of for the difference. Does your friend's thactor have the horizontal screw for fast idle adjustment, or does it use the system that GT275 described? I just put a new fuel pump on my GX345, but I may send you a PM for info on that electric fuel pump for my 345.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Here’s more detail to remove the hood:

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks all for the help. Hood off, adjusted throttle. Tach now reads 3580 High Idle. One small problem, had the hood setting on a table in the garage, tilted it towards the headlights & 2 small pieces broke off the lower hood just below the grill. Never imagined that leaning it up it wouldn't support its own weight. Oh we'll live & learn! One piece is worth trying to reattach. Anyone know a good glue to use on these?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts