My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
chicks mow my yard...
134 Posts
if the machine is fairly clean and not worn out, then yes replace the motor. a new 8hp vertical shaft briggs is fairly inexpensive. the old one is not rebuildable. a thrown rod on any small engine typically causes more damage than it is worth.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I have the same machine, accept mine has a 11 horse briggs, just wondering if youres had a slight knock before it blew? Mine does, but it runs good so im just going to keep using it. (i would replace the engine, these are good machines).

·
Jersey Mechanic
1,015 Posts
the old one is not rebuildable. a thrown rod on any small engine typically causes more damage than it is worth.

Really? Do you have documentation to support these statements? How many engines have you torn down after a rod breaking?

Let me talk from actual experience, I probably rebuild 20 engines a season that have a rod broken or some other catastrophic failure. I will say that the newer the engine the LESS of a chance that the engine can be rebuilt, the engine pictured is NOT a newer engine. I finished my latest last week, 8 hp horizontal shaft with a broken rod, cost $80 to replace rod, seals, gaskets, rings, cut the ridge on the cylinder and brake the glaze, it runs like a new one.

Dan

·
Registered
316 Posts
You are one lucky man then. I have not seen one yet that did not put a hole in the block. I would replace the motor if it needed it. Its not to hard to do.
Kyle

·
Banned
2 Posts
If the block is cracked i would replace the engine ..I very seldom rebuild them anymore as i can by a used motor for the same price ...

·
Registered
276 Posts
i have a 11 hp that would fit but im in pa near gettysburg

·
Senior MTF Poster
13,100 Posts
"Let me talk from actual experience, I probably rebuild 20 engines a season that have a rod broken or some other catastrophic failure. I will say that the newer the engine the LESS of a chance that the engine can be rebuilt,"

I agree - have rebuilt many also and would agree with replacing with an 11 hp, used or new IF replacing.

That is an I/C engine, IF it were a Kool Bore, I wouldn't bother with it and you have no idea about the engine until it is torn down.

I would say perhaps 1/4 of OLDER engines that throw rods crack block, depending on where and how big a hole, not a problem either - JB Weld.

Walt Conner

·
Senior MTF Poster
13,100 Posts
"Let me talk from actual experience, I probably rebuild 20 engines a season that have a rod broken or some other catastrophic failure. I will say that the newer the engine the LESS of a chance that the engine can be rebuilt,"

I agree - have rebuilt many also and would agree with replacing with an 11 hp, used or new IF replacing.

That is an I/C engine, IF it were a Kool Bore, I wouldn't bother with it and you have no idea about the engine until it is torn down.

I would say perhaps 1/4 of OLDER engines that throw rods crack block, depending on where and how big a hole, not a problem either - weld OR JB Weld.

Walt Conner

·
chicks mow my yard...
134 Posts
i have rebuilt less than 20 small engines per year. :crybaby:

yes, sometimes they can be rebuilt on the cheap, especially if you happen to have cranks and rods sitting around your shop. however, if you don't happen to have a bunch of 8 hp briggs (which the op does not) and have to take it to a repair shop, they will charge you for the cranks and rods and block if needed. when you add in labor, the bill is much more than $80 (that is cost eddie, not bill for the op... if you have a successful business than you should know the difference).... :thanku:

·
Jersey Mechanic
1,015 Posts
i have rebuilt less than 20 small engines per year. :crybaby:

yes, sometimes they can be rebuilt on the cheap, especially if you happen to have cranks and rods sitting around your shop. however, if you don't happen to have a bunch of 8 hp briggs (which the op does not) and have to take it to a repair shop, they will charge you for the cranks and rods and block if needed. when you add in labor, the bill is much more than $80 (that is cost eddie, not bill for the op... if you have a successful business than you should know the difference).... :thanku:
In the 100's of engines that I have rebuilt over the years I have replaced 2 CRANKS. I almost NEVER use used rods unless the rod is NLA, they are replaced with NEW. The $80 was NEW PARTS, what the op would expect it to cost him if he did the work himself.

Dan

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thanks 4 the advice guys i think i will upgrade to an 11 horse but noone has them in my area. and gmaster, mine never had a knock before the rod went. i that probably would have helped me before i cracked the block if it was knocking lol

·
My Orange Jane Deere
3,358 Posts
how much would a vertical shaft 11 horse cost............ anybody

Well if you buy it from me it will be a arm & a leg. Oh and your first born.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts