My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
NEWBIE LEARNING!
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://huntington.craigslist.org/grd/3879481921.html

I've emailed the guy for more details but I figured you guys eat sleep and breath these things and could probably help more than the guy trying to make a sale. I've been on the hunt for a heavy duty mower for my new 2 acre property. Any Input on this one or advice? Good, not, etc. have some slopes and need a tough hydro, wanna use it for other duties long term. Plowing, tilling, towing. Etc.

·
NEWBIE LEARNING!
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My primary purpose is mowing a large yard with a steep slope. The other AG tasks are just a side thought and not that important. I need a durable and capable hydro most of all. Don't wanna be replacing my primary purpose mower too quickly.

·
NEWBIE LEARNING!
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok so I guess it's definitely worth looking at then huh. Y'all say the price is good? Anything in particular these models are known to have wrong I should look at? And to elaborate mowing is 98% and the greatest priority. Ill haul a cart the other 1.5 %. I may plow a driveway the other .5% and I already have a walk behind tiller for a small garden so no biggie if this one isn't really set up for that.

·
NEWBIE LEARNING!
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
I got a buddy selling an 1989 wheelhouse 520h for the same price but with 400 more hours and its about a decade older. I realize these are closer to the classic heavy iron that you guys recommend for the hard tasks but reliability is most important to me as I have 2 acres with a large hill that i HAVE to tackle weekly. It's a tough decision. The GT's dont seem to pop up often around here with a good price that isn't junk.

·
NEWBIE LEARNING!
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Also, does anyone know how the diff lock works on this tractor? Is it automatic or manually operated? If manual how do you do it? If automatic does it work well?

·
NEWBIE LEARNING!
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I understand mechanical things fairly well but not enough about tractors to know if one has been maintained properly outside of it being clean, starting quickly, not smoking, the oil level being within limits and it driving as it should. What do I need to check for on the steering and deck? I kinda think this guy may be "flipping" tractors. Think I've seen his backdrop on a few listings locally in pics. I tend to think I like $800 as my offer based on pics at this point.

·
NEWBIE LEARNING!
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
http://huntington.craigslist.org/grd/3817158551.html

He has this listed too so I'm confident now he trades a lot. Probably means I won't get to much in the form if its history and maintenance, also he will wanna make a profit so not sure if a good deal can be had...

·
NEWBIE LEARNING!
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Now that I think about it those two mowers look ALOT alike.....

·
NEWBIE LEARNING!
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Also, is this tractor new enough that parts can be obtained for repairs/upkeep.? Decks, hydro's, engines? (I know engines are out there new but what about deck/hydro parts)

·
NEWBIE LEARNING!
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ok so both are a viable option....hmm. The Massey only has 2xx hrs. Anyone know what hydro it has and if it has a diff lock? Will it handle/do the hills like the simplicity? (Think its a k71 from my reading).

·
NEWBIE LEARNING!
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Ok. Well right off the bat it's as good as the 3000 new husky I was looking at. It has the k66 too. This is 1/3 cost so might be a good idea. Still like the idea of the beefier tractor better but if y'all think 700 hrs us to much ill pass...

·
NEWBIE LEARNING!
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I would buy the Massey because of the low hours but the 44" deck is a little small I'm thinking. Got a 42" now and the added size of the 50" or the even the 60" on the wheelhorse could come in handy. I'm really seriously considering the landlord... The power lift and steering though is something else to break like you said. The KISS method is best sometimes when you need equipment out of necessity. At 700 hrs I've seen a lot of tractors with more than that so it doesn't overly concern me...I don't think. Lol.

·
NEWBIE LEARNING!
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
talked to him more tonight about the tractor and he told me its a 1693383 with a 1692688 deck. He bought the tractor new about 10 years ago (although i think its prob more like 12-13 years ago based on model but thats no biggie). he stated its always had its oil changed regularly and the transaxle serviced. its never needed any repairs or had a problem except for one ball joint in the steering arm a while back. The Massey sold as well, they were both his tractors but they have upgraded to a SCUT. Im liking the way this deal is shaping up. Im on vacation now so when i get home i told him i would be by to check it out and ill do what yall said. Listen for noises in the hydro, check steering play, movment / damage in the deck or mandrels. Still looking for any more input guys if there is any to be had. Havent mentioned price to him yet but ill go with cash in hand just like my dad taught me so we can really negotiate if it all checks out. Ive learned thats always the best and way to negotiate.

·
NEWBIE LEARNING!
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 · (Edited)
Thanks for the advice. I keep going back and forth in my head on what to do. The age and hours scare me one moment then not so much the next. I "need" a larger and more capable mower but I'm not going to die if it doesn't happen right now. I keep thinking 1200 is a lot of money and if there are problems we don't have many good shops around here for service and the closest simplicity dealing is over an hour away. Then I start comparing it to the new husqvarna gt52xls the wife and I looked at and I realize how much more tractor this is and the price starts to seem like a good deal with the t71 hydro over the g730, the diff lock and power steering for 1/3 the price. Ill be back in town tomorrow and plan on at least looking it over and taking a buddy with me that is really good at fixing and restoring old mowers. He does most of my troubleshooting anyway so I figure its best to get his opinion. I know nothing about average hours etc and just get on my current mower weekly and cut grass without much consideration on this. I change my fluids yearly as recommend etc. is it the general consensus that 700 hrs is a lot or not that big a deal on this year machine? Like I said not a huge deal to wait for a better deal I just don't have many heavy duty mowers show up in my area very often and before this one was listed I had barely even heard of simplicity. So it's not like I was "searching" for this mower and will be heart broke if I miss out.

·
NEWBIE LEARNING!
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Perspective.....that's what I'm looking for. Thnx.

I guess even if it did have problems over the next few years it would be tough to add up to the 2000 difference in price between this mower and the new husky.

·
NEWBIE LEARNING!
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Both very true. Thanks guys. I guess if it checks out this week ill be trying to find some cash to buy. I can always sell my 2010 craftsman for a lil cash and unload a lil extra gear in the garage.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.