My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked up a huskee 21 hp 14 speed shift on the fly ( 7 foward with hi and low)
First thought is it's very slow in the low range gears so i was thinking about changing the rear pulley lets say 1" smaller i don't run ground engaging stuff
anyone done this? any problems with this. I do realize this will put the high range at a higher speed also but i could use that running around to the different yards in the neighborhood to do the mowing PS i'm not looking to break any speed records here. Thanks Ken

·
Registered
24 Posts
You can adjust the pulley links (follow manual instructions) to go even faster. I did and my tractor is the fastest in the hood. (It was already fast). Adjust so the go-pedal comes up more. Just be sure E doesn't touch F in high gear or it can throw the belt.

·
Murray tractor owner
2,672 Posts
Why not just use it in high range?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Why not just use it in high range?
I do but it takes awhile to get to the ladies yard down the street so i thought i'd see about playing with the speed. I never use low range so my thoughts were to make low speed equal the high speed range i have now. then use high range for transport. I was thinking about getting a 2" smaller pulley on the tranny then a larger idler pulley to take up the slack in the belt.

·
Murray tractor owner
2,672 Posts
My mtd has the same tranny and in High-7 It will go pretty fast. I only use low range for mowing and plowing.

·
Murray tractor owner
2,672 Posts
mine has the same belt set-up and the front belt is $36 and i am not sure what the back belt is (Got it with the tractor) but most likely near $30 Man arent these belts expencive!!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes they are. I'm going to buy at stens and give them a try. I can buy both belts at work using stens for the price of the front belt hope there as good.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
OK i got the new belts on and adjusted the clutch and speed selector the best i can i've noticed some increase not much but i'll wait a day or two for the belts to break in. maybe i'll try lenghting the speed selector rod also.
If that fails i'll try to get the rear pulley from the tranny and go down a size.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I did not know no huskees were capable of plowing snow. I thought they were made to mow grass for two years then throw away

1 - 10 of 10 Posts