My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Super Moderator
29,563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was at a local tower site and had to get one of the other techs to meet me with some parts this afternoon. i head his way and go about 5 miles when all of a sudden i hear a loud metal on metal grinding from teh rear end. i pulled over and checked the rear end oil because i knew it had a slight leak, and it was fine. i go to pull forward slowly to listen better and BAM, it felt like i hit a brick wall! i just knew the rear end had busted, it was that hard of a jolt. a buddy of mine has a towing service so he hauled me to the house.

i pulled the differential cover once i got everything in place, and the gears looked fine! so i cranked the truck and put it in drive to listen to it better. turns out somethign jammed between the rotor and the caliper and this is what locked up the rear end. i swear, i have never heard of something getting in there and causing a hard lock like that! the only thing it broke was the pad clip, BUT the clip put a gouge in the aluminum rim so i need to get that checked before i put the tire back on. guess i'll put the spare on it when i get the clip and gear oil tomorrow.

if nothing else at least this made me finally fix the leak in the rear end!

·
I Love All Color Tractors
22,321 Posts
I've had the occasional stone get into the pad/rotor area and cause a loud metal to metal like squeal, the same as worn out pads, but never anything like that.

Glad it wasn't worse. Be sure to post a pic or two when you get things lined out. I'm really curious as to what it was.

·
Super Moderator
29,563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
it went in between teh edge of the rotor and the caliper, i guess it jammed in the fins and bent the crap out the pad clip. i guess when we rolled the truck back it must have fallen out, cause after that point it never made any noise other than the light squeal. i was seriously upset for a while this evening, the truck was just paid off a few months back and other than the condensor fan has not had to have anything but routine maintenance. and at only 88k miles it should be good to go for a few more years. i just knew that i was looking at some major bucks, that is just how my luck goes.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts