My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
LAWN-BOY-AHOLIC
1,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My local LB Dealer that gives me all of his castoffs had a 10525 sitting in the discard pile out back of his shop. :praying: He said the engine is trashed because of dirt getting into the carb past the air filter. It looks kinda bad with a lot of paint missing and grime on the engine but hey I can clean and paint and I just happen to have a clean DF engine in excellent shape sitting on the shelf. He said that he wanted to keep it for parts, when I confirmed that it was OK to pick it up. After my heart returned to normal, I left thinking that I could of saved that great mower! :banghead3 Oh well, you win some and you lose some. :crybaby:

·
The Sea of Green Machines
4,766 Posts
Kinda like some folks I see with nice classic automobiles rotting away out on some farmers field, or in a rat infested barn... "Im gonna fix that one up one day" 20 years later it gets hauled to the scrapper by the widow, whats left of it.

·
LAWN-BOY-AHOLIC
1,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Fordtech, I should take a picture of it, there is another mower sitting on top of it. :crybaby: He is a nice guy, but if he didn't want the darn thing why couldn't he let someone save it? :trink39:

It's a shame what some folks think about a mower, we all see it from time to time.

I may be able to talk him out of the deck and the motor mounting plate which is all I really need anyway, so all may not be lost. And to think I have bought a lot of parts from him. :fing20:

·
4,766 Posts
Is this the same dealer that sold you the other one with the "surge" dirt cheap?

·
LAWN-BOY-AHOLIC
1,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No, this dealer has only sold me parts, the other "surge" mower was in McPherson, KS which is just up the road about 20 minutes from me.

You never know, I may end up with it yet!

·
4,766 Posts
Well what do you know, MTGRS, you have allowed some of your weather to come south to my neck of the woods. LOL

We have heavy thunderstorms, baseball size hail, tornadoes, etc bearing down from the North. Of course usually by the time it gets to Lawton it turns tail and runs away, but its looking like we might get a gully washer shortly.

·
4,766 Posts
Dudes, we just got slammed with huge hail..

·
2 stroke enthusiast
6,568 Posts
WOW! Hope you had everything in the garage! I'm sure you have damage to the house or roof at least now, huh? The storm rolled through pretty heavy too about 11:30pm last night for a few hours, but thankfully nothing like that.

·
4,766 Posts
I dont know what the damage is yet till I get a chance to see it in daylight. I know both vehicles are dinged up. The roof was new a few years ago and that will be the next concern as well as the new shed.

·
LAWN-BOY-AHOLIC
1,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well what do you know, MTGRS, you have allowed some of your weather to come south to my neck of the woods. LOL

We have heavy thunderstorms, baseball size hail, tornadoes, etc bearing down from the North. Of course usually by the time it gets to Lawton it turns tail and runs away, but its looking like we might get a gully washer shortly.
Sorry Ford, you wasn't supposed to get the hail part, I will have to have a little talk with ma nature to let her know who is in charge!! I hope the damage was light, but fear not with that size of hail stones. I suppose the crops took a beating too, and that is also not good.

·
4,766 Posts
Remarkably the damage seems fairly light. Both vehicles are somewhat dimpled but Ive seen worse. Ill have the insurance people inspect the roof but it doesnt show bad at all from the ground. Of course I dont have trained eyes for that kind of damage.

·
Registered
373 Posts
My aunt gave me a 10525 for free! She couldn't start it anymore, and got an electric start, Easy-Stride, Duraforce (I never bothered to look at the model number) now.
I dunno, but I'm not a big fan of Easy Stride. Mower manufacturers have tried and failed with this type of self-propelled for decades, but always seem to revert back to a regular lever-actuated single or multiple speed drive system.

My parents used to have an old Yard-Man from the early '70s with this type of drive system, except with that one, you had to lift the handle upwards to get it to drive. The harder you lifted, the faster it went. Big pain in the arse for doing ditches or trimming. We all hated that mower, and eventually traded it for a 19" Snapper (3 HP B&S) push mower. That one worked quite well.

·
LAWN-BOY-AHOLIC
1,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
When I was a kid my dad did some work for a woman and part of the payment was a Montgomery Wards self propelled mower. It was the heaviest mower I had ever seen but it had the wind up starter and rear wheel drive that actuated by lifting the handle. Speed was adjusted by turning a knob on the back of the deck. That mower was heavy by one tough old unit, it was a cast deck and mowed OK. It finally was given up on with the tires wore out, but lasted many years. I am sure that mower was top of the line for MW's.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts