My Tractor Forum banner

281 - 296 of 296 Posts

·
not quins. but sextuplets
15,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #281 (Edited)
these pics r dated 2019-08-22

that day I found .. they were ready to put the blade assembly on a mill.. this was aborted.. they found something wrong with the crane..

so I went 15 miles east.. I found a crane ready to cross the payment.. this was a 200 ton crane.. the big crane is rated as a 400 ton..

click on the pics to enlarge them..

Attachments

·
OLD TIRED CDN. MECHANIC
9,012 Posts
Thanks Whirly, keep the pics coming.:thThumbsU
We always enjoy seeing heavy equipment in operation.

·
15,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #283
Thanks Whirly, keep the pics coming.:thThumbsU
We always enjoy seeing heavy equipment in operation.
I got a surprise for u... the next pics will revel that.. stay tuned.. I got to make 2 posting for that..

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Got some here, 1.6 meg. size and they are paying their way. I see nothing wrong with them. --- also got a nuke place 30 miles south of me,- they had several close calls and major problems with it! now THAT does make me ****** off! Nuke stuff is nothing to play with!

·
15,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #285 (Edited)
on 2019-09-19 I found out the way the they get the blades assembly up..

each blade weighs about 40 tons.. the blades r 193 feet long.. then the center part weighs close to 30 tons..

they use 2 cranes at first.. then the litter crane is unhooked from the blades..

the markings on the blades (seen in the second pic) is what takes the ''Woosh'' out when the blades makes (when rotating)..

Attachments

·
15,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #286
I had to this in 2 postings..

Attachments

·
2,083 Posts
Those 'fingers' or vanes that run down the length of those blades are turbulators, and are also sometimes seen on the wings of STOL, gliders and other aircraft. They essentially cause the air flowing over the blades to travel a longer distance, increasing low air (wind) speed efficiency.

Neat stuff Whirly, keep it coming. :trink39:

·
15,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #288
Those 'fingers' or vanes that run down the length of those blades are turbulators, and are also sometimes seen on the wings of STOL, gliders and other aircraft. They essentially cause the air flowing over the blades to travel a longer distance, increasing low air (wind) speed efficiency.

Neat stuff Whirly, keep it coming. :trink39:
I been edit my postings..

·
15,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #289 (Edited)
one of my trips I found a lotta mills half erected.. then in the first 2 pics I found they were putting another big crane together..

this is the last pics I have.. by now they have the mills put together.. they have been working to get all the underground wires together..

I hope u guys have enjoyed this tread..

Attachments

·
I'll never get to 10,000
4,948 Posts
Thanks Whirly for keeping us updated.

·
15,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #291
some of the mills r now producing electric energy.. I did a drive thro yesterday..

·
15,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #292
I live in Ida county But we have seeing blades on trucks on the hiway.. the blades r 193 feet long.. (the same as our r)..the mills r in Sac county

·
Super Moderator
27,577 Posts
From what I've read they are only expected to last about 15 years. They are already becoming a waste problem in many parts of the world as the first ones to production are hitting that time frame and being taken out of service.

·
15,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #294
we have a some mills that r that old.. they were the first mills in our area.. the maker went bankrupt.. they can
not get parts for them.. they have to rob Peter to pay Paul.. they r the open design.. no tubes like our have

when the mills get 1 year old the .. the Mid-American takes over..

our blades r made in Newton Iowa.. they were made in Texas at first..

·
Administrator
5,187 Posts
Don't know how long they are supposed to last, we have had a few conk out apparently. I think they are about 20 years old.
I have read that up here, these things take 40 years to pay for themselves at regular electric rates. Our former provincial government, in their infinite wisdom jacked up all our rates (hydro, nuclear, solar etc) so that the companies that build these things are guarrenteed to profit. A few years ago, I was seeing all kinds of them going up, not so much now. Hopefully, they have learned they are not the way to go.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Average life expectancy of the large industrial wind power generators is around 15 years, less than that for offshore ones. Their rated nameplate output is only during optimum conditions when the wind is blowing constantly between 8-15 miles per hour.
But it is the overall costs of wind power that will doom them. The costs of all the materials needed to manufacture, including the half ton of rare earth magnets each, then the costs of removing/replacing at the end of life. Most all of it can't be recycled into something else. Like what are you going to do with the massive concrete base?

281 - 296 of 296 Posts