My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whos gonna plant a garden this year..........how large an area and what are yu going to plant.......

I decided to cut ours way back this year, save on water, and time. Probably going to be 20 x 30 or there abouts. Also cutting back o9n the maters this year as well.......going with 2 better boys and one cherry tomatoe plant. Last year we had more tomatoes that we could handle............Other crops will be corn....truckers favorite, pole beans, and pole limas, and a few potatoe plants...Thats it. Oh, I just know the wife is gonna want to grow another batch of cucumbers, but thats her problem.......

·
A day ahead of y'all..
4,597 Posts
Looking forward to another one this year.

I'll have my usual 24 x 40 plot with tomatoes, beans, radishes, onions, garlic, broccoli, peppers, cucumbers and a mix of others when I can. I've already gotten some seeds started and will be doing more soon. I need to get some more seed flats first.

5 I've got going now.

For my signs, I use 1 takeout chopstick with the empty seed pack stapled to it. I then place a plastic zip lock sandwich bag over the pack and seal the bottom almost shut. This keeps the mosture off the pack but allows for condensation to drain.

·
Member Extraordinaire - Deceased March 2017
3,101 Posts
Greg said:
I'll have my usual 24 x 40 plot with tomatoes, beans, radishes, onions, garlic, broccoli, peppers, cucumbers and a mix of others when I can. I've already gotten some seeds started and will be doing more soon. I need to get some more seed flats first.

5 I've got going now.

For my signs, I use 1 takeout chopstick with the empty seed pack stapled to it. I then place a plastic zip lock sandwich bag over the pack and seal the bottom almost shut. This keeps the mosture off the pack but allows for condensation to drain.
Nice job Greg, maybe you can e-mail me some of that when it's done. :congrats:

Durwood

·
Administrator
11,855 Posts
It's going to be the usual approx. 20'x20' plot this year. Lettuce, Carrots, Tomatoes, Cabbage, Onions, Turnips, Green Beans. Not sure yet what the rest will be. Problably one of the following, Pickles, Potatoes, or Melons. Planted Muskmelon last year. I lost count after 20. Had to give many away as they all ripened at once and have a short shelf life after that.

·
Super Moderator
32,048 Posts
Probably going to passs this year. First year we had a nice big garden, and had AWSOME turn out from it. Last year, it was bad. Weeds just took over, and just did not produce. Going to pass this year. May have like one tomato plant, and maybe if the kid wants to grow something. I plan to eather 1) spend the year ammending the soil, or 2) turning most of it back to lawn. Dont know yet. At least some will be set aside for a future garden, but probably not full size.

·
Registered
2,467 Posts
Wife goes crazy

The Tax man has made me into a farmer. Last spring we put in a new strawberry patch, about an acre. In the vegetable gardens we grow anything from acid free tomatoes to zuchinni squash. The farm is three miles from my house and has been an ongoing labor of love, but not a money making venture yet. This year we are planting potatoes for the first time on the farm and have ordered three verieties. I have always had good luck with them here at home.The total area planted will be around six acres with everything spaced so I can cultivate with my cub.
The best thing about all this is that the whole family is involved including my grand children, and inlaws. My grandson is eleven and drive the cub like a pro. I wanted to get set up to use a plastic mulcher this year but have not spent the money yet. My wife has done all the seed and plant ordering online and a lot of the started plants we get from a friend's greenhouse. A greenhouse is on the wish list, at least the wife's wish list. She has started flats going now and Mums ready to be planted. She also wants to expand her perrenial flower growing, as it seems they sell real well.

·
A day ahead of y'all..
4,597 Posts
I'd be glad to send you some, Durwood, but ya better turn off your anti-bug catching software first.... ROF

Greg

G

·
0 Posts
I have a 30' x 80 garden that I have been steadily improving on for that past 12 years and I am really gonna miss it when we move to the ranch this May. Gonna have to start all over again from scratch with a new garden. :confused:

·
A day ahead of y'all..
4,597 Posts
Remnants of last year

This pic is of my garden last towards the end of the season. I was tilling some areas under. The white fence is used for beans and tomatoes but this year I'm going to use it to keep my dog out! I'll use 1 x 1 's and twine for climbing plants.

G

·
0 Posts
Nice looking soil and garden! I like your fence idea for the tomatoes. I have a 6 ft. livestock fence in my garden for string beans. You might want to plant lots of lettuce this year. I hear it is gonna be really expensive since illegal farm workers are in short supply. I imagine all the produce will be high for that matter.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Last years backyard garden

My father and I had a crappy garden last year, too much rain and then high winds. We plant a vareity of veggies. Mostly corn, tomatoes, potatoes, okra, and beans, oh and some squash, cucumbers, zuchinni, watermelons, hot peppers, bell peppers, just to name a few. Dimensions 125'X35', enough to keep us busy all season. Great looking gardens so far.
Pictures here....
http://web.infoave.net/~mcanders/garden2004.html

·
3,101 Posts
Good idea!

Greg said:
This pic is of my garden last towards the end of the season. I was tilling some areas under. The white fence is used for beans and tomatoes but this year I'm going to use it to keep my dog out! I'll use 1 x 1 's and twine for climbing plants.

You have done something i have never thought of Greg. Taking your John Deere tractor with the catcher on the back and am i to gather that you just drive that across your lettuce and it chops it up and bags it for you so all you have to do is wash it? What a genius idea! :congrats:

Durwood

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
I plan on putting out my usual 30x40 plot this year. Mostly sweet corn and green beans, but also jalapeno peppers and green peppers. I have a separate plot I use for tomatoes, about 10x10.

·
A day ahead of y'all..
4,597 Posts
Dang, Durwood. I really never thought of that. The real reason the JD140H3 is there is I ran outta gas...(it has a leaky fuel line, I found out). :bonk:

But it does have the power bagger....hmmmmm

G

·
3,101 Posts
mcanders said:
My father and I had a crappy garden last year, too much rain and then high winds. We plant a vareity of veggies. Mostly corn, tomatoes, potatoes, okra, and beans, oh and some squash, cucumbers, zuchinni, watermelons, hot peppers, bell peppers, just to name a few. Dimensions 125'X35', enough to keep us busy all season. Great looking gardens so far.
Pictures here....
http://web.infoave.net/~mcanders/garden2004.html
WoW, nice garden mcanders. The work you put into it really paid off. :fing02:

Durwood

·
Registered
3,790 Posts
Our garden will have about same as last year....red potatoes, Walla walla onions, bell and hot peppers, tomatoes (reg and sweet 100). pole beans, garlic and whatever else we can fit in. I have to surround mine with a 6 foot fence to keep the deer out. I'll post pics when I plow and then get planted.

·
A day ahead of y'all..
4,597 Posts
Shure is a nice garden, mcanders, and the pics are very interesting. Nice to see the soil evolve into the provider for our table... Be sure to take some this year and let us see how you're doin'.

freebird,

Yeah, pics! Walla Walla Sweets, hot peppers and garlic. Now you're talkin!! :fing02: :fing02:

Greg

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
Now Greg that is some of the blackest earth that I have seen in a long long time.... :fing32:

·
Banned
1,271 Posts
draddogs said:
Now Greg that is some of the blackest earth that I have seen in a long long time.... :fing32:
I think he photo shopped it Ernie!! ran out of pink apparently! ROF ROF ROF

·
Premium Member
10,475 Posts
It's going to be the usual approx. 20'x20' plot this year. Lettuce, Carrots, Tomatoes, Cabbage, Onions, Turnips, Green Beans. Not sure yet what the rest will be. Problably one of the following, Pickles, Potatoes, or Melons. Planted Muskmelon last year. I lost count after 20. Had to give many away as they all ripened at once and have a short shelf life after that.
Very cool. Mine is only a yt16h. Would you mind posting pictures of it in the "lets see your pictures ford style thread" on the ford forum. There is a lack of diesels on there.

Mikey.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts