My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This was in our paper this morning. Huntington used to be a important place decades ago but now its pretty much nothing really. But heres one of the "Lost Huntington" monthly articles I thot some of you might like, maybe blow it up and read it.
If its not interesting enuf the adms. can remove it, no harm no foul.

I knew that would happen....sorry..every single one of them

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
10,904 Posts
Good reading, Gerrard. Small world too, because there was also a Gravely distributor a few towns over in Huntington, Long Island. In the early '60s it was called "Huntington Grinding Shop". At some point the name was changed to HGS Power House.

I bought my first Gravely (the 1968 430 in my avatar) used from them in 1975. It was a trade in. For some reason they painted the whole tractor in a red oxide type primer. Not knowing that it's original color was yellow, I painted it red, and white. It was only years later after joining MTF that I realized that it was supposed to be yellow and white.

HGS Power House also closed sometime during the 1980s. The owner continued running a small Gravely repair shop in a shed behind the building for a while.

Here's their stickers on the my L8's hood. They sold it to the original owner.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Man I just typed for 30 mins and kept nodding-off and did it a second ago and did something and it all dissapered.
But glad you liked it I sure did. And that is some coincidence both towns are named Huntington lol.
I remember that dealership being there, its only about a half-a-mile from here and not to far from that there was a Cushman dealership here to.
Man those were the days, and had I known what I'd like when grown-up I would have spent my money on other things for sure.

·
Premium Member
2,553 Posts
Thanks for sharing. Great article.

This is kind of why I view the 1968 produced machines to be pretty special.

That photo has me wanting a dual wheeled 500 series now.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for sharing. Great article.

This is kind of why I view the 1968 produced machines to be pretty special.

That photo has me wanting a dual wheeled 500 series now.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk
just shows how what used to be nice towns w/100,000+ people in them and always something to do down to a 35,000. ( thirty five thousand) place of abandoned dilapidated bldgs.
But everyone I talk to about Gravely's are still using theirs, and they were made 25 or so miles up the road to of course.
When Im done I gotta get another one.
I just went and got a gal of e-free gas and hopefully I can start this thing this week end.
Gotta hook up air cleaner and carb and some fuel in it and that might do it exept for the fine tuneing.
Take care

1 - 5 of 5 Posts