My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Craftsman 856C & 857C
757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everybody,

I figured I would post about our back porch stair project that was done this past Easter 2022. As you can see from my first set of pictures, the old set of stairs were about 30 years old and coming apart. We got these done just in time for my grandfather to come over for the holiday......

Plant Flower Wood Outdoor furniture Road surface

Plant Flower Outdoor bench Automotive tire Wood

Plant Automotive tire Building Wood Road surface

Wood Wheel Tints and shades Automotive wheel system Plant

Table Wood Floor Wood stain Plank

Plant Automotive tire Road surface Wood Asphalt

·
Registered
Craftsman 856C & 857C
757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi Everybody,

I'm back with progress on the stair project. Here are the parts that will be used that we bought from Home Depot. I tried my best to get pictures of the barcodes to tell everyone what they are but the pictures did not come out so good but I will post them anyway .....

Wood Automotive tire Wheel Tire Road surface

Furniture Wheel Tire Automotive tire Wood

Plant Outdoor bench Road surface Wood Asphalt

Wood Table Automotive exterior Outdoor furniture Hardwood

Tire Wood Wheel Floor Vehicle

Wood Asphalt Tree Grass Font

This LOOKS LIKE the stuff we got, although I don't remember exactly......

Trex 1 in. x 6 in x 8 ft. Enhance Naturals Rocky Harbor Square Edge Composite Deck Board RH010608E2S01

This I KNOW is correct.......

·
Registered
Craftsman 856C & 857C
757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Let's get to work on the rebuild, first let's take the old junk off and get all the leaves that were under there out......

Plant Road surface Wood Asphalt Urban design

Plant Road surface Grass Wood Groundcover

Green Plant Garden hose Wood Grass

·
Registered
Craftsman 856C & 857C
757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
After measuring and cutting, here we have it. Out with the old and in with the new. This was done for most of the day before Easter Sunday but it was all done for gramps when he came over.....

Furniture Plant Outdoor bench Street furniture Wood

Plant Outdoor bench Wood Automotive tire Road surface

Table Wood Garden hose Grass Automotive tire

·
Registered
Craftsman 856C & 857C
757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Buh bye 30 year old stairs, you did great over the years.......

Wood Flooring Hardwood Gas Wood stain

(By the way the picture was taken looking into our town trash can.)

This is all I got folks, I hoped you enjoyed our little project. Thank you for looking.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Our local code inspector would not give those a passing grade.
All rises are to be within 3/8" from top to bottom of a set of stairs, adjoining steps should be within 1/16" of each other.

It would get written up as a trip hazard.

Yours look close to that if the patio stones were not there, but the stones make the bottom rise much less

·
Premium Member
7,934 Posts
Fortunately, not all of us have a need for code inspectors or building inspectors or electrical inspectors or even need a permit to build. Some of you just live in the wrong place.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Just wait, it is coming to a town near you soon. My county just hired a county wide building inspector. Building inspector means building permit. Just another way to get in your pocket.

To be fair,
I have lived in some rather metropolitan areas that had a lot of rental properties.
And during my travels around the country, I have seen people renting apartments and even houses that were not up to any standard. I have seen the same thing out in the country. Some people chose to live that way, some are sorta forced into it.

If you chose to live that way and you are not bothering other people, more power to you.
But if you are renting a place, it has problems and the owner refuses to fix things, well a code enforcement officer can usually get things fixed. The bad thing about that, a rent increase will usually also happen, which some people just can not afford.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts