My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello again to everybody! I am new here, I stumbled upon this site a couple months ago while researching and reviewing different yard and lawn tractors and boy a I glad I did!

I'm from Mass and am buying a new piece of land approx 1 to 1 1/2 acre moderately hilly/uneven. My old craftsman LT probably won't be able to last very long under those conditions so a couple of months ago I started doing research to figure out how I could get the most bang for my buck.

After reading these forums initially, I started feverishly searching on craigslist and ebay for a J-D 345, 318, 425, 445, 455, GXs, GTs. Some of you guys love your old machines (and rightfully so, as it appears they are tough to kill).
I then said to myself, if I'm going to spend that kind of money on a tractor I will buy new. Started looking at the X Series Deere. All of this was way above what I would like to spend and I lost track of the whole 'bang for your buck thing' looking at the handsomely built but IMO slightly overpriced green machines. With that being said, the X310 is gorgeous!

I read about engines, and decks, and ptos, and spindles, and frames, and Transmissions (I love going to the dealers and telling them that there is a TT XX or HG XX in their machine and, that it is in fact a serviceable model. Some of the dealers around here do not know a lick about what they are selling unfortunately).

So after all of this, here is where I stand in my price range (between 1700-1900). For a little more I could go with the J-D D160 with the TTK46 however for the extra money all I would be buying is the name and I don't really need that.

Craftsman YT 4000-
Cub Cadet LTX1046-
Husqvarna YTH24K48-

I understand that Husq makes Craftsman. With that being said, for the same price point it appears that the YT4000 and YTH24K48 are the same (4 gauge wheels, 12ga stamped deck, etc...). However the Husq has the TT K57R which is obviously a beefier trans than the Craftsman TTK46.

The Cub has the HG 510 series which from what I've read on here fits somewhere between the K46 and K58, correct? The plus to the cub is the frame is the heaviest around @9ga (better for snow removal), and the spindles on the deck have grease fittings.

Does anybody know what gauge the Craftsman and Husq frame are? Does anybody know if either the Craftsman (I don't believe so), or Husq have the greasable spindles on the deck?

I'm starting to lean toward the husq due to the better trans, but that sturdy frame is on my mind too. What do you guys think????

·
Deceased Member
2,028 Posts
There are two Cub Cadet LTX1046 models. there is the 1046M with a Kohler engine and the 1046KW with the Kawasaki engine.

If you decide on the Cub, the KW is the one you want for two reasons.

First is that it's a 'dealer only' model which means that the initial assembly and adjustments are going to made made by people that are trained to do it. With the M, it will be a toss up whether or not the person putting it together has a clue as to how to level a deck, adjust proper belt tensions, etc. As often as not, the box store tractors are just thrown together and sent to the customer.

Second, is the engine. The Kawasaki is a much better engine than the Kohler that is used in the Cub 1000 series.

·
I break things
406 Posts
I was in the exact same boat as you one year ago. Let me give you my thoughts.

I didnt really consider the cub, I only looked at the YT 4000 or Husquvarna. Both are made by American Yard Products (AYP).

I chose the YT4000.

Both the TT46 and TT58 are weak transaxles. If I could do it all over again I would have purchased the GT series Craftsman. Its only a few hundred dollars more than your budgeted amount, but it will allow for ground engaging implements and will be able to tow more than a light load in a yard cart.

I know that the way I am using the tractor the transaxle will pop on me. I have already been researching how to upgrade it to a K66 transaxle.

Good luck!
-Adam

·
Registered
67 Posts
I found a Craftsman CTX9500 at a Sears outlet a few weeks ago. K66 and locking dif for a VERY good price; saw it for double in the mall Store this weekend.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts