My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up this nice TB Horse last week for a steel. It's in need of some TLC and some restoration but I think I can handle it if I can find some parts.
According to the sticky in this section I think it's a Horse II made around 1979-80. Serial # is 454005 and corresponds to around that date and the stamp on the bars says 10/25/1979

The previous owner passed away so it had to go. Here's some history!
PO found some issues with it and decided to install some new parts, including a Brand New B&S 6.5Hp intek engine with get this, 10mins on it. Apparently after installing the engine and rear worm gear, bearings and seals the shaft bearing was missed and there was too much play, so upon reassembly and testing ( that's why it only ran 10mins) discovered the tines wouldn't move when trying to till the ground. He took it apart and found the newly installed worm gear warn. Little while later he passed away and this is how it sits. I picked it up from his wife when she was cleaning out the garage the way it sat. It looks to be all there but I think I'll tear into it over the next while and see what it needs but safe to say some new bearings, seals, worm gear ( if I can find it still ) and whatever it needs to restore it back working again.
Here's some pics..

Here is the old and new worm gear..

The old shaft was worn where the seal rubbed on it. New shaft is excellent as are the bearings but the main shaft bearing is in peaces in the containers. I think it's a Timken bearing LM11949..

The tines and hood are there as well as the depth bar.

So, what ya'll think?

·
Premium Member
9,931 Posts
Looks great, and you can definitely get parts for that.

Mike

·
Old Stonebreaker
3,398 Posts
Put a little antiseize on the tine shafts when you go together w/ it. Makes them easier to remove later. And I'll suggest taking the wheels off now as they have a bad tendency to get rusted to the axles really bad. I learned this when I bought my horse. Had to use a puller and lots of O/A heat. Replaced the seals and also gave the axles and wheel hubs a good dose of antiseize after cleaning the hub bores w/ a wheel cyl hone and emery cloth on the axles before reassembling.
Mike

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So, while waiting for some parts to come I've found an older Kohler 181T complete, though green, for $0 and was wondering in the interest of keeping things original was this engine ever used on a TB horse?
I know I have a good new 6.5hp B&S but what ya guys think?

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Update, Finally Done!

Just wanted to let you guys know that after all this time I've finally pieced everything together and got the tiller rebuilt. Only things I need to complete it is Chrome wheel caps, new tires and New tines, if I can find them. Everything was stripped and every bearing, seal, bushing, nut and bolt were replaced. I had to get a new carb for the B&S cause it was sitting for almost 10 years over in my FIL's garage waiting for parts he couldn't get but I finally found most of it. I painted all the parts individually and assembled them. The best paint I could find as a close match was Krylon's International red. It's a little darker than the original but it's OK. I don't know how many hours went into it but rest assured it's a lot. It's far from a professional job with a couple of runs and such but it looks great from a far.:sidelaugh: The engine runs great, like a new unit and I guess it really is. So another Troybilt Horse saved from the junk yard and put back to it's glory!
Here is how it looks as of today! What you all think?

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Very nice! In retrospect, I wish I had repowered with a new briggs vs. rebuild the old I/C when I did mine. I wish mine looked as nice as yours too!

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks! IIRC the New briggs was only $350 back in 2004 cause my FIL got it as cost so it was worth it IMHO! Not a whole lot more than a knock off.

·
Collector of many tractors
15,274 Posts
New lookin caps might be hard to find...
But you can take old looking ones and sand the rust off them and spray Krylon clear coat over them and they will look real good...

·
Premium Member
9,931 Posts
Great job! I didn't know they had chrome wheel caps for these tillers.

Mike

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Great job! I didn't know they had chrome wheel caps for these tillers.

Mike
I saw a set on Ebay earlier this year but can't find them now. The shipping to Canada was more then the price of the caps which were expensive enough as it was so I passed on it. I think they were just electrical panel knock out plugs which shouldn't be too hard to find but the guy was just passing them off as wheel shaft caps. They did look good!

New lookin caps might be hard to find...
But you can take old looking ones and sand the rust off them and spray Krylon clear coat over them and they will look real good...
I only have one and I did just that but painted it white when I painted the wheel. I'll have to keep the clear coat idea in mind, thanks!

Super good job on the restoration.
I really like how the decals turned out. I found a guy on Ebay earlier this year who was selling a perfectly restored tiller like mine and commented about his restoration job. He replied and I asked him where he found his decals in which he replied he had made a pdf file. Asked him for a print and he sold me the pdf file for cheap and I went to my local print shop and had them done in Vinyl. Should last forever!

·
16,630 Posts
I saw a set on Ebay earlier this year but can't find them now. The shipping to Canada was more then the price of the caps which were expensive enough as it was so I passed on it. I think they were just electrical panel knock out plugs which shouldn't be too hard to find but the guy was just passing them off as wheel shaft caps. They did look good!

I only have one and I did just that but painted it white when I painted the wheel. I'll have to keep the clear coat idea in mind, thanks!

I really like how the decals turned out. I found a guy on Ebay earlier this year who was selling a perfectly restored tiller like mine and commented about his restoration job. He replied and I asked him where he found his decals in which he replied he had made a pdf file. Asked him for a print and he sold me the pdf file for cheap and I went to my local print shop and had them done in Vinyl. Should last forever!

**********************Really like your 'restore', and the original story. Way to go on the vinyl decals--using the old noggin, I'd say.:not_worth

glenn

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
[/B]

**********************Really like your 'restore', and the original story. Way to go on the vinyl decals--using the old noggin, I'd say.:not_worth

glenn
:fing32::thanku:

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Went to the hardware store this AM and found some electrical panel knock out plugs/caps and brought them home to try. Had to do a little modification as they were a smidge to big but here's how they turned out.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts