My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My neighbor broke a rod in a 18.5 Briggs single cylinder 18.5 hp ohv engine
(Mod 31N707- type 0233E1- code 0404262E) on a murray mower
I tried to find a replacement engine. Instead I found a 15 hp Kohler Command.(family SKH426U1G2RB- model cv15s- spec 41526) on a craftsman mower (917256541)

I can see it will almost drop in the Murray frame...but first things first!

This engine has not been run in many years. I am looking for advice where to begin, a how-to on getting the most from this old engine.

If it were me I would pour diesel and/or gas through the crankcase to clean it out there.
I would either pull the carb and soak it, or just try to spray it with cleaner and wd-40.
I dont think this engine has a pump, but it does have fuel cut solenoid.

I jumped the starter and the compresson gauge jumped to 60 pounds with one turn.
The plug I pulled out was cleaner than any I have seen in awhile.

The governor feels sticky, but that might be normal.
-------------

Is my plan okay or should I do something more?

We get through this part and then move on to "repowering 101"

Thanks

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
Sounds OK. The sequence I use is:
Check oil
spin over w/ a shot of starter fluid
if it fires up look for oil smoke
if no smoke, do carb

That Kohler is a nice motor.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That Kohler is a nice motor.
reckon so?

I downloaded a kohler manual last night. There are things on this engine I have not really had to deal with before...but that's good. Maybe the craftsman manual will help with that when I find it

Looking into the carb before dark i saw gunk that was tough as silicone. It was all puddled in the bottom of the throat. Cleaned up with picks and paper towels. I will get to the float in the morning

The oil came out black but not not lumpy or anyhing unusual. I gave it a diesel bath anyway. If I had some extra tranny fluid i would use that too.

The high tension wire has been chewed by squirrels or rats. I guess i can just twist the copper back together for now.

thanks.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
okay

No one told me that this engine would fit on without drilling and welding, and cussing, and throwing wrenches at the dog, and... but I guess I learned that. I think I saw it called an "11 inch circle mount" on some Kohler parts site. Just had to swap the pully off the briggs and put it on the Kohler.

So, the engine fired up and is now the quietest running mower around these parts. That leads me to my question: Are these engines just quiet or what?

I suspect that that the RPM's are about 2500 top speed. I used an inductive type clamp RPM meter on the plug wire. These meters are designed for automobiles. I was reading 5000 rpm. Knowing that was unlikely, I divided by 2...only logical thing to do right?

Should I try to raise the RPM? How? Remember I had very very a dirty carb.
Is it possible that could be the cause of low RPM? I dont think there are adjustments on this carb. I want to get this fixed before somebody messes with the govenor.

I put the old air filter on and it started hunting....at least I hope that is what happened

There is no lack of power, yet. It has only mowed a little though.

---thanks.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
And I should add that I have not replaced anything except oil 3 times and filter twice. Same air filter, same plug, same broken plug wire, same float valve...ect

(Did fix the plug wire with tape, hose. and silly-cone though.)

Engine was used for 3 years and sat for 12 years (or something like that)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts