My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think I'll be selling the boat soon. A potential buyer called expressing interest. Will talk more with him by the end of this month. Losing my dream will hurt very, very much.

·
Registered
124 Posts
At least you have some interest. The next worse thing to having to sell your boat is having to sell it and not having a buyer.
Ps. Don't hold your breath with "I'll see at the end of the month". If you need to sell and find someone sooner, go with the cash.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My, how things can change given the chance! My super son and daughter-in-law Coaxed me into bringing it back State side. It's been in Canada for quite a few years. Found a great marina that's much closer to home. Appears to be a safe as Canada was. (the previous marina was joke theft-wise.) We've been there the last few weekends washing some serious grime from the outside and checking all mechanicals. Changed the oil and filters, too. Did a trial run last Saturday and it ran super. So....maybe I can get back into some serious seat time on it. Sure appreciate those two for nudging me.....

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's a 3807 Carver aft cabin, Ingersoll. Fell in love with it the first time I saw it. I am so geeked about it being more accessible!

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Good news/bad news.
Good that it's State side once again. We did give it a good power wash and got many years of crud off the hull. It is white once again. Next will be some compound and wax.
Now...on to the the 'issue':
With about 35 miles to go the port engine saw fit to toss a rod through the block. Not many hours on the engine, but it was replace about thirteen years ago. No chance of warranty or insurance. It's up to my bank account now.
Any suggestions on where to get a long block?
Yeah. Out on the open water the cruise was , ummm.... okay. Kept it around 2800 at around 8 miles an hour. The dicey part was coming into the marina. Wind and current were not my friends. Especially when the slip that we agreed on was occupied!! Glad to have seen a string of unoccupied openings and took two of them.
Rats. Not a good Saturday.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Was surprised to find a water spray while the generator was running. Water in the bilge. The exhaust hose is compromised. It's bulbed out, shows signs of rust and that's where the leak is. Must've frozen after the marina winterized it! I'll repair that, but will start looking for signs of serious issues in THAT engine! At least the a/c units are good. Son and daughter-in-law are such treasures. They spent a few hours today doing much needed cleaning of the interior. Could not do what I'm doing now without their help. Lucky to have a great family.

·
Super Moderator
32,171 Posts
Not that up on duels.... is the pot side the normal rotation, or counter rotation? Eather way, if the old is mostly fresh, and its a 350 SBC... it cant be that hard to find. heck, If it was me,I would pull it apart, and swap the marine bits to a replacement truck engine...

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If memory serves, I believe the port engine runs clockwise when viewed from the front. No engine found yet. Did some price checking. Found there's quite a range. Not sure if a standard 454 long block would work. I was under the impression that there's some beefing up of some internals along with a different cam configuration. Much to consider between now and next summer. Winter storage may be more of an issue than what was first considered. The engine work might be done this fall, but...it may be pushed off 'till spring.

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
NICE boat!

·
Super Moderator
32,171 Posts
If memory serves, I believe the port engine runs clockwise when viewed from the front. No engine found yet. Did some price checking. Found there's quite a range. Not sure if a standard 454 long block would work. I was under the impression that there's some beefing up of some internals along with a different cam configuration. Much to consider between now and next summer. Winter storage may be more of an issue than what was first considered. The engine work might be done this fall, but...it may be pushed off 'till spring.
OK, I may be mixed up... is it 350CI, or 350HP?

As far as the engines being different... In most cases the rotating assy is the same as what they build for the truck. Or did build... that hasn't been used in production truck in some time, but GM still makes them for replacements, and also the marine industry. Cams may or may not be the same... ive its a counter rotation engine the cam IS different. That's what controls what rotation the engine has. The marine engines will have brass core plugs, and most of the outside, add on stuff is marine only. But the base motor is the same. Most of the modern V8's used a roller tappet cam. In most cases it can be reused in another engine. Granted unless a rod took it out...

Not saying this is the best way.... just putting that option out there about what can be done.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks, Ingersoll. It's a 454 block with 350 HP. A thirsty beast! I will consider that long block then. I'm thinkin' decisions will be made based on what comes out of the hold. Some of the engine replacement companies consider a long block as three cores: heads, block and crank. The block is a loss for sure. The rest remains to be seen. Seems like engine replacement is fast falling down the list of priorities as the cooler weather is approaching.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
It was a bit chilly, but the solar made up for it. Lake Erie was pretty placid on the east side this morning. The ship is now on the hard for the next six months. All that's left to winterize are the three engines. Although the port block is shot, the manifolds and peripherals still need draining and anti-freeze. My Son, who is an absolute treasure, has been helping me. Spent the last two days gassing up, pumping out and doing the general final checkups. He sure mad a difficult job much easier. A Beautiful day today.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
So it's up on blocks now and the winterizing has pretty much been completed. The water system was flushed and filled with pink. The holding tanks drained and flushed and heads have pink pumped through them. So now it's on to the engines. Of course the port engine was pretty easy as most of the water drained from the hole in the block. But that still left the manifolds. They were pretty easy to do. On to the generator, as it's access is on the port side. Long story short....generator's water pump needs new bearings and seals. But did manage to put about two quarts of antifreeze through it until it showed at the exhaust outlet. On to the starboard side. Drained as much water as I could out of all accessible outlets and blew air through until only spray was left. Filled both manifolds until it came out the exhaust port. The point was to install a new thermostat. Hmmmm...two bolts came off nice, the third snapped. In the intake. Three engines. Three issues. I do believe the biorythms are on the low side marine-mechanical-wise....

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Got a call this afternoon from the marina. They reported some boat damage due to the strong winds. Three windows were blown out on the upper helm station. Although getting pretty dark out, I could not see damage on other's boats. But I'll bet tomorrow's light will show more. Lots of canvas flapping out there. But at least they were all still on their jack stands! I feel pretty lucky that it was only three. One needed replacing come spring anyway....

·
Professional Homeowner
7,916 Posts
Good ness! You just can't seem to catch a break!
I was looking into something more the size of yours, aft cabin and front stateroom type trawler maybe, but you're REALLY starting to make me think twice. Maybe I'll just stick with my little day cruisers and pull the occasional overnight camping on the water type deal...

·
Super Moderator
32,171 Posts
Good ness! You just can't seem to catch a break!
I was looking into something more the size of yours, aft cabin and front stateroom type trawler maybe, but you're REALLY starting to make me think twice. Maybe I'll just stick with my little day cruisers and pull the occasional overnight camping on the water type deal...
You do get to the point that the size, and complexity of the boat, over shadows the fun, and joy. But you know... even with one engine... they still blow up, crack manifolds, rust up, and leak.. So its just a matter if all issues are on one, or different engines..

1 - 20 of 25 Posts