My Tractor Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
288 Posts
i have heard of an acetylene tank blowing up on a ship and going out the side and sinking that ship and several others in the harbor skipping across the water like a torpedo that's why it sticks so you could smell it.
May not have been acetylene. Some kids I knew when I was a sprout got ahold of some large oxygen cylinders and broke the valves off with a sledgehammer and launched them. They will go like a rocket. Always leave caps in place, chained to wall and use no oil on threads. Our distributor 10 bucks extra if you put oil on threads

·
15,000 +posts!
20,075 Posts
We had a O2 tank go thru a cinder block wall at the metal fab shop in trade school,when it fell over and the valve sheared off!..it stopped halfway thru the wall and was wedged in there so tight the blocks had to be chiseled away to remove it..
The shop teacher said he wished he could have left it there as a reminder how dangerous those tanks can be with over 2000 psi in them..

They used to use the same type of tanks to assist jets taking off ,"JAYTO" rockets..
You guys probably read the story about the guy who supposedly strapped a few in the trunk of a '67 Chevy Impala and got it airborne in the desert and hit the side of a mountain..I believe MythBusters did a show on that trying to reproduce the stunt..

A scrapyard a few towns away had a full [email protected] tank somehow end up in their steel pile,and the guy clearing the pile with an excavator that had huge snips picked it up,and cut it,and it flew over half a mile,and landed in a house's bathroom!--it came right thru the roof,and landed in the bath tub!..the homeowner had just taken a bath less than a half hour before that too!..said he thought his house was hit by an airplane!..

·
Professional Homeowner
7,461 Posts
I brought up the point of opening the valve on tanks only 1/4 turn in a meeting at work today. Someone with more experience than I with tanks said that shouldn’t be done because the pressure relief valve won’t work unless the valve is either all the way open or all the way closed. Didn’t sound right to me. Don’t they work all the time?

·
21,839 Posts
I brought up the point of opening the valve on tanks only 1/4 turn in a meeting at work today. Someone with more experience than I with tanks said that shouldn’t be done because the pressure relief valve won’t work unless the valve is either all the way open or all the way closed. Didn’t sound right to me. Don’t they work all the time?
You are correct. The relief valve senses internal pressure at all times.

The pressure relief valve operates independently from the shut-off valve. If the tank is in a fire, the relief will still pop when the pressure builds high enough whether the valve is fully opened, fully closed, or anywhere in between. Its sole purpose is to vent the internal pressure should it rise too high.

In the case of a propane valve, the relief valve is in the same housing as the shut-off valve, but it is not part of the shut-off valve circuitry. They are both supplied from the same point, but the flow exits from different ports.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Take the bottle back to the supplier or exchange place and get another one. It has a defective valve.

I've seen few bottles that would leak even when turned off. Seen couple of exchanges for full and they were empty or low when went to place them in service. Simply took them back for free exchange and no problem.

Appears you were lucky that it did not torch you.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Take the bottle back to the supplier or exchange place and get another one. It has a defective valve.

I've seen few bottles that would leak even when turned off. Seen couple of exchanges for full and they were empty or low when went to place them in service. Simply took them back for free exchange and no problem.

Appears you were lucky that it did not torch you.
I took it back and they started to give me some static and I had to BUY another tank --they said they would weight it then give me credit for gas inside? It still has 3/4 left---And the tank I got now is 3 inch smaller in height and they charged me $10.00 more and say it has MORE gas in it?? [same diameter] I been arguing with them but no use? I had this torch & cart set up over 35 years ans this is first time I had to put a 4x4 under tank so gauges would set above the try on cart.

·
Registered
931 Posts
I took it back and they started to give me some static and I had to BUY another tank --they said they would weight it then give me credit for gas inside? It still has 3/4 left---And the tank I got now is 3 inch smaller in height and they charged me $10.00 more and say it has MORE gas in it?? [same diameter] I been arguing with them but no use? I had this torch & cart set up over 35 years ans this is first time I had to put a 4x4 under tank so gauges would set above the try on cart.
Wondering who the name of the gas supplier is? (not the exchange station) like for example Jimmy Jones, Airgas or ?
I file away my exchange receipts.

Just my 2 cents worth.

The gas supplier does not seem to realize right now, at the moment that you could have very easily been talking to a Lawyer instead of them. It would have cost them more than $10 for THEIR defective valve damages.

Them exchange people you were dealing with sure has poor customer relations dept.

Anyway I think you are very lucky you did not get seriously burned or worse.

Sometimes the more people you meet, the better you will like your dog.:tango_face_wink:

21 - 27 of 27 Posts