My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my 80s yardman lawn tractor had a major steering problem when i quit using it, but but i ended up with another mower do two the fact it also burns oil so i recently have been thinking of stuff to do with but i figured I'd fix the steering before i sunk any more $$ in it.

heres whats left of the nylon bushing that was causing problems

so i went to Ace see if i could get a replacement turns out they dont keep it in stock so i got a 5/8 spacer instead $2.50

so i welded it in place and now the problems solved just wondering if any body had done this.
total cost $

·
Premium Member
9,606 Posts

·
Murray tractor owner
2,672 Posts
Good Idea, I might have to do that.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks i tried it out and it seems to work good but now a new problem has arose the fact that once you put it in gear and it goes the rear ends not disengaging its staying in the first or second range and doesn't stop.

any ideas would help really want to make a few things to use with it like a light duty front plow. would 55 gallon drum work for this.

·
Murray tractor owner
2,672 Posts
thanks i tried it out and it seems to work good but now a new problem has arose the fact that once you put it in gear and it goes the rear ends not disengaging its staying in the first or second range and doesn't stop.

any ideas would help really want to make a few things to use with it like a light duty front plow. would 55 gallon drum work for this.
So you are saying that is is not stoping even when you push the clutch unless you pop it out of gear?? I dont think a 55-gallon drum would be thick enough.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yes it doesn't stop when you push in the clutch

wonder if you could double a the barrel sides up and reinforce it?

·
15,000 +posts!
20,567 Posts
My 90's Yard-Man had plastic king pin bushings,and the front wheels were flopped over and dragging on the sidewalls when I got it--rescued it from the crusher at my brothers work place,they had used it to mow 10+ acres for 3 years and it had a monor front end collision due to the lack of steering control--rather than fix it,they just took another brand new mower out of the box and put in service..(he worked at a warehouse that stocked merchandise for a large chain of hardware stores!)..

To repair mine,I welded peices of 1/2" pipe into the axle beam in place of the crap plastic bushing block it had,and used copper tubing slit down the side as bushings so the king pins fit nice and tight--and I added grease zerks to the pipes so I could pump grease in them too--they fell out soon after though,so now I just use a needle point tip on my grease gun instead..
Now the steering gears are stripping and skipping,I had to replace a few bushings and added torrington needle thrust bearings to it when I got it to tighyten it up..the steering gear setup is a joke for a 20 HP "lawn tractor"..I put a plow/bucket combo on it and that made quick work of ruining the steering gear setup..I'd like to adapt a REAL steering box to it somehow,someday..might just get rid of it instead though..the restof the tractor is getting old and is showing its age and it has been a pain to keep it going the past few years..I like my 40+ year old Sears much better!..

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
the steering works awesome but i gotta problem of it burning oil lots of oil but it doesn't need rings i gotta fix this before i run it for long period of time.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts