My Tractor Forum banner

41 - 60 of 104 Posts

·
We're all friends here
13,986 Posts
Robert, you can set up your banking online and not have to run around or write checks to pay bills. If the banks have to close it won't be a problem as long as the ATM's are working.

·
15,000 +posts!
19,767 Posts
Yes,I know I can pay bills online,but I have procrastinated getting a credit card too long,I never have done any online banking ,or bought anything online ,mostly because I fear getting "hacked"...

God forbid there is ever a EMP attack,and all the electronic stuff goes "poof"..!
We'd really be screwed then..

I need a credit card to order parts online for my pickup (only sources that have the ones I need,parts stores cant get them)--I only have a money market account and can write only 3 checks a month on it--so far I have just used cash at the Verizon store's machine to pay my phone & internet bill,its only 3 miles up the road,and I go by there anyways..never wrote one check yet in like 10 years!..

The electric bill I usually pay at a supermarket the company uses as a convenient place to pay your bill,that is a bit further away,but it's not a big hassle to go there..

If I dont drive my truck at least 20 miles a week the batteries will run down,so I don't mind paying bills in cash,but now that we may be forced to stay home and only be allowed to go get food and prescriptions if things get worse,I may have to start putting the charger on it instead..

If I end up getting the check they are promising in the future,I might use it to buy a better vehicle..or fix up one of my old clunkers so it will be more dependable..but more likely it'll go right to the town for property taxes..:(

·
Registered
472 Posts
Yes,I know I can pay bills online,but I have procrastinated getting a credit card too long,I never have done any online banking ,or bought anything online ,mostly because I fear getting "hacked"...

God forbid there is ever a EMP attack,and all the electronic stuff goes "poof"..!

I need a credit card to order parts online for my pickup (only sources that have the ones I need,parts stores cant get them)--I only have a money market account and can write only 3 checks a month on it--so far I have just used cash at the Verizon store's machine to pay my phone & internet bill,its only 3 miles up the road,and I go by there anyways..never wrote one check yet in like 10 years!..

The electric bill I usually pay at a supermarket the company uses as a convenient place to pay your bill,that is a bit further away,but it's not a big hassle to go there..

If I dont drive my truck at least 20 miles a week the batteries will run down,so I don't mind paying bills in cash,but now that we may be forced to stay home and only be allowed to go get food and prescriptions if things get worse,I may have to start putting the charger on it instead..

If I end up getting the check they are promising in the future,I might use it to buy a better vehicle..or fix up one of my old clunkers so it will be more dependable..but more likely it'll go right to the town for property taxes..:(
I've had credit cards for most of my life, 50 years the first one. They're cheaper than cash! I've never paid interest, penalty, any fee. A lot pay 1%-2% cash back bonus. If you use it a lot, that can add up. Everything we have is on auto pay so no bills.
You have more protection than cash or check. You can chargeback if there's a problem. Never a fear of getting hacked since you have no obligation to pay for any unauthorized charges made to your account.

Sent from my SM-S320VL using Tapatalk

·
Banned
1,484 Posts
My wife and I have never used credit cards. We had PayPal twice, ten years apart....they screwed us over badly both times, so NEVER again.

We are finding that a Green Dot Visa debit card works quite well for online bill paying and other purchases. The fee for loading funds onto the card is only $3.74 at Walmart and the monthly fee for the card itself is $7.99. That's it. Not bad, for the convenience it brings.

·
Registered
627 Posts
The fee for loading funds onto the card is only $3.74 at Walmart and the monthly fee for the card itself is $7.99.
If you can set up a separate bank account with a debit card it won't incur any fees or loading costs. Just transfer funds between accounts as needed. This works for me.

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
Since many here have mentioned Italy, I guess because the MSM are up to their normal fear tricks, this was rather interesting reading written by a Swiss doctor regarding Italy and CoVid-19. Quite recent as it was updated yesterday, 3-23-20. One of the interesting tidbits is that if you take what is reported in the news and divide by 8, you get the actual deaths by CoVid-19 in Italy.

·
Cranky Motorsports
15,136 Posts
I have been working from home since last Monday, Starting to get settled in, and still going stir crazy. I am working on tractor in my spare time after work, trying to balance that, cooking for my ever ravenous two kids, and keep up on cleaning. My wife and I sharing responsibilities, were both getting a little frazzled. I have been trying to make and sell paracord rifle and shotgun slings, tractor parts, and whatever i can for now because I got word all monetary raises were cancelled for the year, and I will have to take a 2 week unpaid furlough now, which really hurts. Selling on ebay made me have a lot more taxes this year because the government instituted sales tax on everything, and I have to claim it on my taxe if I have more than 200 transactions, even if every one is only $1.00, so you have to pay 30% of your earnings. I made $2300 last year, and paid over $800 in taxes.

I make decent money, but don't have any in the bank, and I have a big tax bill this year, plus had a tree fall and take out a window, which cost me a few hundred to fix. I have been trying to seal up all the air leaks in the house to keep from using so much oil, keeping the temp in the house a couple degrees lower, forcing ourselves to eat stuff that we have either been avoiding for whatever reason, and making sure were not throwing food away.

I always feel like we were pretty prepared, have enough food for a month or so on hand, plenty of paper supplies usually, we were pretty well set for now. for me, trying to keep my wits being in the house all the time, and figure ways to save money... We changed in all our coins, kids piggy banks and gave them IOU's for now, till we get back with a little excess.

Were not hurting yet, and i am saving money not driving to work, and not traveling for work, but right now my bank account is still pretty dry at the end of every month.

I'm not trying to complain, we're doing ok, this has just been a challenging year so far. As a family were getting closer, trying to comfort each other cause were all getting testy, and trying not to go out unless we need to.

Keep strong, keep healthy everyone, I'm here for anyone to talk or whatnot.

·
Professional Homeowner
7,176 Posts
Since many here have mentioned Italy, I guess because the MSM are up to their normal fear tricks, this was rather interesting reading written by a Swiss doctor regarding Italy and CoVid-19. Quite recent as it was updated yesterday, 3-23-20. One of the interesting tidbits is that if you take what is reported in the news and divide by 8, you get the actual deaths by CoVid-19 in Italy.

Don't you be bringing any actual logic into this discussion!
It does NOT feed into the media's agenda of panic and general fear mongering. It takes their power away, and they don't like that.

·
Administrator
5,163 Posts
The Swiss have what is considered among the world's best health care systems. I'm guessing they aren't too worried. Ours on the other hand......
So much of this depends on different things. I think that population density is a biggie. You notice that the countries with the most people per square miles seem to be the worst (China, Italy etc)....Also, the worse concentrations in our countries are where he most people live (cities)

BTW...just looked this up

Switzerland is one of the countries most affected by the coronavirus, with almost 9,000 positive tests and 86 deaths.

·
10,398 Posts
The Swiss have what is considered among the world's best health care systems. I'm guessing they aren't too worried. Ours on the other hand......
No idea what you’re talking about, Willis.

Mayo Clinic, Rochester, MN: developed the faster C-19 test the President spoke about.
University of MN: working on the trials of using the anti-malarial drug mentioned last week.
Medtronic started here.

Last time I checked, the Saudi royalty goes to Mayo for their checkups, not Switzerland.
I’ll put my money on my friends and neighbors here in Minnesota.
Have the Swiss announced if they’re pro or anti-Covid? Or are they remaining neutral?

·
Registered
145 Posts
I went to the DMV to clear the title to our car, which I recently paid off, and renew the trailer reg. They stopped me at the door and asked if I had an appointment. Apparently you have to call ahead and get one. Then they let only one at a time in. Home Depot was almost empty and the supermarket was out of bread. We took a a bike ride and noticed that there were many people out walking. I guess not many are working.
You can renew your trailer on line in NYS.

·
Registered
6 Posts
if they keep the country on lockdown for 3-4 months, it'll make 2008's economy look like a walk in the park. They have to come up with a new plan, or the cure will be worse than the disease. Maybe something like South Korea, where they test as many people as the can (currently not feasible, but the tests are becoming more available) and only quarantine those that test positive.

They can't print enough money to bailout all the businesses that fail because they were shutdown for 3-4 months. not to mention the unemployment that will go with that.

I find it hard to believe that with all the smart people in this country they can't come up with a better solution than having everyone huddle in their houses.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Strange...

So far, the new coronavirus has led to more than 220,000 illnesses and more than 9,300 deaths worldwide. But that's nothing compared with the flu, also called influenza. In the U.S. alone, the flu has caused an estimated 36 million illnesses, 370,000 hospitalizations and 22,000 deaths this season, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).

Sent from my SM-S320VL using Tapatalk
Therein lies the sensationalism remarked about by another...Also if it is such an emergency and crisis, it is not time to do 18 month double blind studies of what may work..

·
Registered
113 Posts
We have to define our terms, the first being "epidemic." Second would be "pandemic." When the WHO classified COVID-19 as a "pandemic," the definition had not yet been met, and, in fact, has not yet been met.

So the real issue is not the COVID-19, rather it's the fear-mongering and misinformation being spread AND the people who believe it all and then REact, instead of behaving rationally.

Also, there are issues with the testing for COVID-19, mostly the lack of adherence to the Koch's Postulates. And then there was the use of the term "presumptive positive result" and "presumptive case." It was THOSE outcomes that were reported, PRIOR to confirmation, which in some cases never came at all.

Further, if the majority of what information is being pushed out is to be believed, the death rate is ridiculously small. I mean, more people are killed by the flu, lightning strikes, snake bites, drowning...the list is endless.

This all is utter nonsense.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Robert, you can set up your banking online and not have to run around or write checks to pay bills. If the banks have to close it won't be a problem as long as the ATM's are working.

If you are going to do banking on line there are safer ways than others. I use AVAST antivirus(free version) on my compter. It comes with a browser- the avasr secure browser. I have set up that browser to use only for financial and other secure transactions. I set up a unique email address that i only use with the secure browser and all financial websites are accessed using the browsers "bank mode" along with enabling anti fingerprinting/anti tracking/ anti phishing/ encryption and some other built in secure features. Works like a VPN. If you have a bank that you deal with it is easy to set up online banking and get a credit card from them. CCs are safer than a debit card. .I only open that browser for my financial related stuff and that email is only for all financial related stuff- (it is difficult to use with online ordering of merchandise the way i use it however as bank mode is a bit secure for switching between certain screens). When done with the financial stuff, i close the browser. I never have my other browsers open when using it... But i alkso have taken other measures to prevent infiltration...i operate my system as a user, not an adminitrator...nothing can download and install with out explicit admin permission. Additionally, i use a firewall and a ransomware stopper.

·
Registered
10 Posts
We have to define our terms, the first being "epidemic." Second would be "pandemic." When the WHO classified COVID-19 as a "pandemic," the definition had not yet been met, and, in fact, has not yet been met.
Definition of pandemic (Entry 2 of 2)
: an outbreak of a disease that occurs over a wide geographic area and affects an exceptionally high proportion of the population : a pandemic outbreak of a disease

Explain your statement please?

41 - 60 of 104 Posts