My Tractor Forum banner

21 - 40 of 104 Posts

·
Banned
1,484 Posts
OK....I gotta know...if you aren't kidding...where in the world do you keep this thing between uses?
It is washed out after each use....CLEAN....therefore, it is hung on a rack in the bathroom like other towels and washcloths.

Honestly, this is not rocket science. The idea that modern people are somehow ashamed of natural bodily functions, and that it has become a taboo subject or at least one to be avoided is absolutely ridiculous.

It's high time for the elementary school 'icky-poo' crowd to grow up and start acting like they have some common sense.

Now we have idiots calling 911 just because they have run out of toilet paper. What does that say about how out-of-control people are over something that should be such a complete non-issue? People from the 19th century would be disgusted by this childish behavior....and rightly so. There is no excuse for it.

·
We're all friends here
13,986 Posts
Pretty much nothing today is anything like the 19th century.

·
Registered
627 Posts
This country is headed for a meltdown.

Businesses are closing, people are losing their jobs. Many of both will never be recovered Schools are closing and now parents have to stay home to care for/educate their kids. No theaters, restaurants, bars or sporting events. Forget air travel and public transportation. Gas prices are down and there's no place to go. People are trying to "work from home'. Good luck trying to get hold of some services.

Corporations are lining up for bail outs. Good thing we gave the billionaires a tax break. Forget about the national debt and budget deficit, they're going to the moon. Mortgage payments may be delayed, renters are s**t out of luck. Without property taxes and gas taxes being paid government services will be severly cut back too. The proposed solution is to give everyone some pocket change.

Food shortages are everywhere, bread - gone, pasta - gone. I had to go to three stores to find a pound of hamburger. Forget toilet paper and sanitizers. Can't order on line, everything is jacked up in price with a three week delay on delivery for many items. Most other shelf items are depleted by 60 to 80%

Does anybody feel safe about going to a dentist ?

A major recession is imminent......

·
We're all friends here
13,986 Posts
...along with house cleaning, cooking and painting.

·
Premium Member
9,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
This country is headed for a meltdown.

Businesses are closing, people are losing their jobs. Many of both will never be recovered Schools are closing and now parents have to stay home to care for/educate their kids. No theaters, restaurants, bars or sporting events. Forget air travel and public transportation. Gas prices are down and there's no place to go. People are trying to "work from home'. Good luck trying to get hold of some services.

Corporations are lining up for bail outs. Good thing we gave the billionaires a tax break. Forget about the national debt and budget deficit, they're going to the moon. Mortgage payments may be delayed, renters are s**t out of luck. Without property taxes and gas taxes being paid government services will be severly cut back too. The proposed solution is to give everyone some pocket change.

Food shortages are everywhere, bread - gone, pasta - gone. I had to go to three stores to find a pound of hamburger. Forget toilet paper and sanitizers. Can't order on line, everything is jacked up in price with a three week delay on delivery for many items. Most other shelf items are depleted by 60 to 80%

Does anybody feel safe about going to a dentist ?

A major recession is imminent......
I wish some of this stuff mattered right now. I am concerned with your and my mortality. In Italy they don't have enough trucks to bring corpses to the southern part of the country for cremation. They need to do this because the crematories in the north are overwhelmed.

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
Sorry that you are experiencing that, Dee_Veloper, but that is not indicative of the entire country. I went shopping Thursday at the small town single grocery store where I live. In and out in 15 minutes while traveling most of the aisles. Everything was well stocked, there were no empty shelves. Went to a Walmart in the nearest larger city on Wednesday and while the TP, wipes & bleach were gone, most everything else was there.
Not much in my small town except the grocery store, a couple auto/tractor parts supply stores, a hardware store, couple of feed stores and some restaurants. As far as I could see, they were open although I could care less about the restaurants as I never eat out. Went to the building supply store today. Just found out today that the church is not going to have services tomorrow.

I also don't watch or listen to any of the MSM programming for a very good reason (no TV or radio, for one). Has anyone here ever lived in Italy? I spent 3 years there courtesy of the good Uncle. The MSM just loves to tell you what they think is happening, but they fail to explain why. Northern Italy is home to the garment industry and major manufacturing. Milan, a large city in northern Italy has direct flights to China because most of the industries are owned or operated by the Chinese. Well over 100,000 Chinese live there. Northern Italy also has a very large elderly population where many of the older people live in intergenerational families where many generations live in the same house. Their healthcare system is much worse than here. One has to investigate what passes for news here to get the actual information of what does happen.

·
Super Moderator
15,194 Posts
I really dont think there is as much of a supply shortage as there is a demand problem. Most of the major super markets around me have set limits on some things and that has been working. My wife and I are on our 8th day of sheltering in place. We have taken a few drives to assess things but not stopped anywhere. We have a college age son that still lives with us. Even though it has been shut down the rest of the semester he has a part time job at one of the supermarkets. He works in the office so not a lot of contact with the public but we are still trying to be cautious. I have 3 strikes against me being over 70, heart disease and lung issues. If what we are hearing is true I probably would not survive if I got it.
I do believe the news outlets are sensationalizing a lot of this and creating some of the problems. We all need to take it serious but not panic. I'm maybe a little more optimistic than some but I believe once this peaks and we get a handle on it things will come back pretty quick. I also believe we can learn from this and some good can come from it.
Some areas of the country are harder hit than others so I guess everyone's experience is a little different.
If you google it you can find Bill Gates back in 2015 predicted we were not prepared for something like this. It's very eerie how accurate he was.

·
Administrator
5,163 Posts
I live near a small town of 7000. The small Walmart and the grocery stores are short a few things, but we can generally get what we need. Restaurants and unesential stores are closed or just offer take out. Things are slow around town as few people are going out.
I think the major problem is in the larger cities where there are more people. Limits on quantities have helped a lot I am sure. I think we just need to suck it up a bit and we will beat this thing.

BTW, I know this thing is very frustrating, some of the posts show that. Thanks for not getting too political with the replies.

·
We're all friends here
13,986 Posts
I made a run to the supermarket at 7am during what was supposed to be an early opening just for seniors and at-risk people. No one was checking and there seemed to be quite a few at-risk folks shopping. :rolleyes: The cashiers were not wearing masks or gloves and were talking about passes they received that allow them to travel to and from work while the order to stay home is in effect. According to them, Homeland Security has been assigned the task of running MV checkpoints around the state to enforce the order. I would imagine fines would be handed out to violators. There has been no work about that in our local news. Their enforcement is most likely concentrated in and around major cities and not around here. I grabbed our necessities and was out of there in less than 15 minutes.

·
Premium Member
9,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
I do believe the news outlets are sensationalizing a lot of this and creating some of the problems. We all need to take it serious but not panic. I'm maybe a little more optimistic than some but I believe once this peaks and we get a handle on it things will come back pretty quick. I also believe we can learn from this and some good can come from it.
Some areas of the country are harder hit than others so I guess everyone's experience is a little different.
I hope to God your right. However, I fear it's the opposite. So far, it seems to me that when something is reported, when something actually happens it is worse than the initial report. My school was supposed to go home for a week. Before that was implemented we were sent home for 3 weeks. It will be interesting to see if they send us back to school next week. We hear testing is going well, then we hear only test if someone really needs it. West Virginia is supposedly doing a great job, no cases! Then we find that the reason they have no cases is because they haven't tested many people. How are we and our leaders supposed to make informed decisions when we don't have the slightest idea who even has the disease and where it is spreading? I really don't think we as a nation and world have a handle on this thing yet. Please, believe me, I hope I'm wrong.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Strange...

So far, the new coronavirus has led to more than 220,000 illnesses and more than 9,300 deaths worldwide. But that's nothing compared with the flu, also called influenza. In the U.S. alone, the flu has caused an estimated 36 million illnesses, 370,000 hospitalizations and 22,000 deaths this season, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).

Sent from my SM-S320VL using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
15,194 Posts
I read somewhere that 61 million people had swine flu in 2009. 300,000 people were hospitalized. Thousands died. We aren't anywhere near those figures yet.

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
One needs to try and keep a perspective in these times. We are in Spring and just as in the Fall, the weather is in another of it's constantly changing patterns. It's during these times that most become ill with any one of various viruses and yes, some die each season. During the flu season last year (2018-2019), there was a quote of between 12,000 confirmed to 30,000 possible deaths in America by the CDC. Where was the outcry over this? MSM barely reported it, if at all.
CoVid-19 is the latest new flu-like virus and as of now, there is not a vaccine for it. Some drugs have been shown to help people in the advanced stages. Being new, there is not a lot of solid information and rumors run rampant. The common flu(?) has a death rate of around 1%. This new strain, CoVid-19, has a death rate of around 3%. Still, that does not mean that everyone that actually catches CoVid-19, is going to die as a result. Of course, from published reports of people that have had it and recovered, it's not a fun experience. Then again, being sick with the flu just ain't no fun ever.
One possibly sees many Chinese in their home country wearing masks almost constantly. It's not because of the viruses. it's because the air pollution is so incredibly bad in many of their cities. China has almost 1.5 Billion people while America has 360 Million in almost the same amount of land (3.6 million square miles to 3.5 million square miles).
But since CoVid-19 is so new, many governments of the world are on the side of caution to reduce the spread until more is known about this virus. It also is helping with this tail end of the flu season.

·
Professional Homeowner
7,176 Posts
One needs to try and keep a perspective in these times. We are in Spring and just as in the Fall, the weather is in another of it's constantly changing patterns. It's during these times that most become ill with any one of various viruses and yes, some die each season. During the flu season last year (2018-2019), there was a quote of between 12,000 confirmed to 30,000 possible deaths in America by the CDC. Where was the outcry over this? MSM barely reported it, if at all.
CoVid-19 is the latest new flu-like virus and as of now, there is not a vaccine for it. Some drugs have been shown to help people in the advanced stages. Being new, there is not a lot of solid information and rumors run rampant. The common flu(?) has a death rate of around 1%. This new strain, CoVid-19, has a death rate of around 3%. Still, that does not mean that everyone that actually catches CoVid-19, is going to die as a result. Of course, from published reports of people that have had it and recovered, it's not a fun experience. Then again, being sick with the flu just ain't no fun ever.
One possibly sees many Chinese in their home country wearing masks almost constantly. It's not because of the viruses. it's because the air pollution is so incredibly bad in many of their cities. China has almost 1.5 Billion people while America has 360 Million in almost the same amount of land (3.6 million square miles to 3.5 million square miles).
But since CoVid-19 is so new, many governments of the world are on the side of caution to reduce the spread until more is known about this virus. It also is helping with this tail end of the flu season.
Next year will be worse. They’ll take the latest strain of the flu, and report it as “causes more deaths than corona virus did in 2020” or something like that. Influenzas have always killed higher numbers than corona. but corona was sensationalized so much that making something sound worse (which it’s always been) is SURE to make people even MORE crazy next year.

·
Banned
1,484 Posts
The flu deaths in the U.S. for the 2017-2018 season were 80,000 according to the CDC. They tell people with weakened immune systems to stay away from hot spots, such as doctors' offices, during flu season. But, one agency will contradict another one. Near the end of 2018, I applied for SSI because of degenerative disc disease, spinal stenosis, and various other health issues. I also have a weakened immune system, from h-pylori (which, contrary to a lot of b.s. out there is pretty much impossible to eliminate) and also from having been given Accutane for bad acne back in the 80s when the drug was brand-new and no one had any inkling of the nasty and long-term side effects that it would cause. Well, Social Security made an appointment for me to be examined by their doctors on January 10, 2019....smack-dab in the middle of flu season! Now, mind you, when they send the appointment notice, they tell you to let them know if you can't make it for any reason. When I did, and offered to reschedule it when flu season was over, they said they could not do that. They denied my whole case based solely on the fact that I did not want to do what the CDC says NOT to do! Further, the woman who denied me made the accusation that I had a mental illness because I was seeking SSI for health problems, but was unwilling to see a doctor. Talk about a moronic boob! When all of this corona business is done, I am going to get an SSI attorney and sue the government....and she will be put on the spot for her words and actions at the center of it all.

You can't make 80,000 flu deaths seem like nothing (it definitely was to them and their families) but then up and decide to take extreme measures with corona before the toll is anywhere near as high. That is called DISCRIMINATION.

Whether it is from corona or the flu, dead is still dead.

·
Premium Member
3,070 Posts
So, you don't really understand what the point of this "social distancing" thing is, do you....

It's not so that nobody dies from COVID-19.

It's so as few people as possible die from it.

Most people will wind up getting it, sooner or later, the vast majority of people will have relatively minor symptoms and be able to recover at home without medical intervention, and some fraction of those people will die from it, either because they happen to be susceptible to it, or because they have other health problem that combined with COVID-19, exceed our ability to keep them alive.

Both of these groups are not what this is about, as it doesn't make a difference as to their outcome.

There is a 3rd group, likely smaller than the 1st group (minor symptoms, but n.b.d. for them), likely larger than the 2nd group (those that die even with good medical attention), where they will have a more severe reaction to COVID-19 (perhaps combined with their existing medical conditions) so they require hospitalization, but with proper medical attention, it won't be fatal for them.

The point of this social distancing is so when the 2nd and 3rd groups of people wind up getting COVID-19, it happens over a more extended period of time, so they can go to the hospital, and get the proper medical attention, so the people that could be in that 3rd group can live, instead of just dying because they can't get the proper medical attention.

This is different from the flu because:
-we have vaccines, and public education programs to try to get people to get it every year (and to combat the nutjobs claiming sorts of wacky things about the vaccines)
-we have enough hospital beds (in general) so the 2nd and 3rd groups of people that get the flu, so that (most of) those that can be part of the 3rd group don't die from it

·
We're all friends here
13,986 Posts
There is one important, underlying reason for social distancing. People who have symptoms probably won't be out and about contaminating everyone they come across. Many people who have contracted the Coronavirus show no symptoms and therefore do not know they have it. These people are still contagious, not under quarantine, and can transmit the disease to others. Social distancing is the only protection from these carriers.

·
15,000 +posts!
19,767 Posts
I agree with all the above posts,and am not too enthused about what the future will bring..

I'm in the high risk category,having asthma and high blood pressure and overall am in not so great physical condition...I'm almost 62 years old,the age bracket where most here are listed as being most likely to contract the virus and suffer most from it,and possibly be fatal (55-70+ years old according to the chart)..

Naturally my mental state isn't good knowing this ,and having many ailments that prevent me from being able to cope well with this stress..the constant harping on the news and "live breaking news reports" with our president or govenor on TV is starting to make me crazy,I feel they are hyping it up worse and causing panic..Everyone is now a germ-o-phobe and paranoid..

So far 5 have died here in MA,and 650+ have tested positive...but I keep in mind 7 million people live here too..still, I feel very vulnerable..

No,I don't feel safe going to a dentist,or a doctor,hospital,etc right now..great places to become infected (if your not already-call me a pessimist,but I think all of us have already been exposed before we ever heard any warnings last month)...

I have a impacted wisdom tooth above where a molar was pulled a few years ago,thats now poking out of the gum and rubbing on the inside of my cheek--it has swollen up a few times,after I slept on that side recently...am I going to have it looked at or fixed now..?--not unless it becomes a lot worse!..
So far using H2O2 mouthwashes has kept it at bay..No stores had any more of that last time I went shopping ,and I'm avoiding going into store after store in hopes of finding any..that only increases your exposure risks (or re-exposure)..

The past few months I've developed a troubling erratic heartbeat,one strong "thump" that shakes me lying in bed,followed by normal beats..Had an EKG done twice at the doctors office in recent months,it came out "normal"--it never seems to act up after I've been sitting idle for several minutes,especially at the doctors,just like the car that never acts up while your mechanic is in it for a test ride!..

But lately I've become more paranoid as it has been doing this more or less constantly instead of once in a while,but I'm not about to go to the hospital unless I feel I'm having a heart attack..it may be due to my lack of activity and sitting too long at the computer,or it might be I need a stent or two to open up blocked arteries..doctor says it sounds OK when he listens to it--but if I had just climbed the stairs to get to his exam room just prior I'm sure it would give a different reading..

Due to scoliosis my spine is all twisted up and I have a lot of pain,all my internal organs get shoved out of position or crushed on my right side,it could be that is causing my heart's blood supply to be affected..(read that on some forums about that disease)..right now my right kidney area feels like I have a pulled muscle since I got out of bed this morning..my throat has felt like the discs in my neck are out of alignment too,sometimes I get a horrible cramp in the artery there..

Sleep is near impossible,due to pain,I am lucky to get 2-4 hours before waking up in the middle of the night,and I lie wide awake for several hours until I finally nod out again..
I tire very easily and my heart starts to pound as soon as I do even minor things like walk to the mailbox,or try doing anything constructive..now that I'm supposed to stay inside and do "nothing" I am getting worse..normally this time of year the flea markets would be open ,so I could go walk around once a week and get some exercize ,now just about everything is cancelled or forbidden,and I do not expect to improve any due to that..
I can walk around out in my yard,when my back isn't killing me so bad,but its been cold & damp and getting chilled only makes it worse..

Already getting cabin fever...despite having internet,TV,many CD's,etc,I feel like I've already watched every show known to mankind twice,ditto for listening to music,and sitting in front of the computer only kills my back & legs worse..its frustrating knowing I have a hundred things that need doing,but I'm not up to doing even one of them..I'll have to go pay my phone bill and electric bill this week,not looking forward to going out "in public"...my bank is now only doing business at the drive-thru now,if you need other services you must call ahead and make an appointment!..now I wonder if the banks will be forced to close up next...:oops:

21 - 40 of 104 Posts