My Tractor Forum banner

301 - 320 of 331 Posts
2,440 Posts
Now they are grouping the Washington, DC , Maryland, Virginia metro areas on another site because everyone lives and works in different areas. This is what they come up with 60,832 infections and 2752 deaths. That's twice the amount of infections in Portugal and almost the same amount of infections in Canada.

·
15,000 +posts!
19,927 Posts
MA is still the third highest death count in the USA,last I read it was 4,840 deaths and over 76,700 positive tests --over half the deaths were elderly in nursing homes or with other health issues over age 60,mostly 70+ in age...
There was a big rally held in Boston last Monday,over 4000 protesters assembled "illegally" denouncing the excessive over stepping of their rights by the governor,and demanded businesses be allowed to re-open ...But..

The governor has extended the stay home "order" to May 18th and is giving the impression he will extend it even further after that--so far the only "business" he has allowed to open are golf courses,which I feel aren't "essential" at all,and there will be no golf carts allowed and masks must be worn in public everywhere ,or face a $300 fine ,I sincerely doubt we'll be "opening up" businesses to any extent until well into July or August..by then many will never be able to re-open..

The governor has also cancelled "all activities until September"--no sports games,no concerts,no 4th of July parades,fireworks,Boston Pops concert,and it will likely include all car swap meets & car shows,"cruise nights" and flea markets...so there will be NOTHING to do,or anywhere to go,probably well into 2021..
I'm sure this will make the suicide rate increase dramatically,those who are financially devastated and have yet to receive a stimulus check or unemployment will likely be ready to "give up"...
So far over 600,000 are unemployed in MA ..all within a 6 week period..the virus's death toll will likely be less than the aftermath it will cause..

A gun rights group filed suit against the governor for labeling gun shops "non-essential" and remaining closed last week and a few days later a judge ruled in their favor,saying "shall not be infringed" means just that,so the stores were allowed to open at noon yesterday,under strict guidelines..only one person in the store at a time,social distancing must be observed,etc...

But churches are still being denied to hold services despite over 60 pastors writing a letter to the governor,one church has defied the order twice and been fined $100 the first time and $500 the second time--haven't watched the news today ,so I'm not sure if they held any service today or not..
I don't see how golf courses are "essential" but the right to assemble and worship as in the constitution isn't..

Meanwhile neighboring states like NH,RI,CT and VT are "opening up" more ..that will likely cause more trouble too...MA residents will start flocking there where they aren't "restricted" as much and bring the virus with them..only hope is herd immunity will end up winning out this summer..but those who hide indoors wont be doing their immune systems any favors..

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
Now they are grouping the Washington, DC , Maryland, Virginia metro areas on another site because everyone lives and works in different areas. This is what they come up with 60,832 infections and 2752 deaths. That's twice the amount of infections in Portugal and almost the same amount of infections in Canada.
It's simply another way of looking at things. Instead of city & state, you have Metropolitan Areas where the spread of people has grown quite large.
The Washington, D. C. Metropolitan Area with a population of 9,800,391 people now includes either all or parts of DC-VA-MD-WV-PA and is the 4th largest in the country.

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
I was finally able to get a long awaited haircut yesterday at our regular salon and was surprised that it was business as usual as the owner nor any of her staff were wearing masks or any type of ppe. Today is our 34th anniversary and we have dinner reservations in place so the wife had an appointment to get a cut & color this afternoon. She asked about the conditions and I told her of the lack of precautions at the salon now she decided to cancel it. I don't really blame her due to her deteriorated immune system but oh man is she upset. 😟

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
That is rather sad, rudedawg. Congratulations, though!
So much misinformation out there that one really can't tell which is actually true and what isn't. Don't you think that it is rather odd that she (or anyone) would cancel a hair appointment because the workers aren't wearing the questionable PPE, yet would go to a dinner appointment where you can't consume anything while wearing PPE?

·
4,151 Posts
Around here dinner appointments are just to have the staff carry it out to your car...then you drive away and eat...

·
Premium Member
9,716 Posts
So much misinformation out there that one really can't tell which is actually true and what isn't. Don't you think that it is rather odd that she (or anyone) would cancel a hair appointment because the workers aren't wearing the questionable PPE, yet would go to a dinner appointment where you can't consume anything while wearing PPE?
Opposite in NH. They opened with very strict rules,. They even open the front door so you don't touch it. and masks for everyone ,and washing down stations between limited customers.

·
15,000 +posts!
19,927 Posts
I wonder if all our immune systems are going to weaken with all this constant sanitizing, which is proven to also kill the “good bacteria.” Not sure if any formal research has been done...
This George Carlin video will answer that question...WARNING,he uses the "F Bomb" a lot,so you'd better use headphones if someone nearby who doesn't like bad language is listening!..
He was spot on though--despite passing away 11 years ago,he had incredible foresight ..

Video removed, violates MTF Policy

I have read & watched many legit doctors reports and videos saying how "staying in lock down is doing more harm than the virus ever will"...they claim that many "isolated" people end up getting infected somehow,and reports of mental health issues,drug & alcohol abuse,suicides,and child and spousal abuse are skyrocketing ,now that everyone is forced to stay home 24/7 and kids are not getting educated,and depressed over missing out on seeing friends at school,and social activities.

Our governor & the mayor of Boston announced yesterday "despite us "opening up to stage one",we are still early in this pandemic,things are unlikely to get better for at least 8 months to a year--and if the death and infection rates start rising,we'll have to retract the phases and go back in lockdown again"..

Both are saying "things will not go back to "New Normal" until IF and WHEN a vaccine is developed--and everyone will have to be vaccinated,possibly several times,since the virus keeps mutating,and no one will be allowed to participate in society if they refuse to be vaccinated"...

I don't know about you guys,but talk like that scares me more than getting covid and possibly dying..seeing over 95% recover fully...

So far 65% of all the 6,100+ deaths here were elderly over 65 years old in nursing homes with other health issues--we pout one million out of work,because 6,100 people died out of 7 million in the state...we've had much worse death rates in previous years from other respiratory diseases,but never had the daily death toll,or number of infected posted on the TV & radio news reports,in fact we didn't hear much at all about it period..I feel the virus is real,but not as deadly as its being made out to be for most healthy younger people,it has been hyped up.

·
Professional Homeowner
7,381 Posts
This George Carlin video will answer that question...WARNING,he uses the "F Bomb" a lot,so you'd better use headphones if someone nearby who doesn't like bad language is listening!..
He was spot on though--despite passing away 11 years ago,he had incredible foresight ..

Video removed, violates MTF policy.

I have read & watched many legit doctors reports and videos saying how "staying in lock down is doing more harm than the virus ever will"...they claim that many "isolated" people end up getting infected somehow,and reports of mental health issues,drug & alcohol abuse,suicides,and child and spousal abuse are skyrocketing ,now that everyone is forced to stay home 24/7 and kids are not getting educated,and depressed over missing out on seeing friends at school,and social activities.

Our governor & the mayor of Boston announced yesterday "despite us "opening up to stage one",we are still early in this pandemic,things are unlikely to get better for at least 8 months to a year--and if the death and infection rates start rising,we'll have to retract the phases and go back in lockdown again"..

Both are saying "things will not go back to "New Normal" until IF and WHEN a vaccine is developed--and everyone will have to be vaccinated,possibly several times,since the virus keeps mutating,and no one will be allowed to participate in society if they refuse to be vaccinated"...

I don't know about you guys,but talk like that scares me more than getting covid and possibly dying..seeing over 95% recover fully...

So far 65% of all the 6,100+ deaths here were elderly over 65 years old in nursing homes with other health issues--we pout one million out of work,because 6,100 people died out of 7 million in the state...we've had much worse death rates in previous years from other respiratory diseases,but never had the daily death toll,or number of infected posted on the TV & radio news reports,in fact we didn't hear much at all about it period..I feel the virus is real,but not as deadly as its being made out to be for most healthy younger people,it has been hyped up and made political for evil purposes yet to come..
That video says it all. Pretty much mirrors my thoughts on a lot of this.

Every year there’s something else going around... bird and swine flu, Ebola, mad cow, etc. With this new lockdown and social distance crud in place now, is this what we’re going to do every time some new “exotic” disease comes about? Our economy will crash and we’ll see mass supply chain shortages at least once every few months if that’s the case. Is this mass hysteria the new beginning of the slow end of all of us?

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
Thanks. You know that's exactly what we've been discussing this morning including that there is a risk in everything but have decided just to cancel our table reservation, order the meals and pick up like we've been doing. (y)
She's still fuming about her hair appointment though and hasn't called to cancel it yet.
Ah the wonders and challenges of married life during this not so new normal time; after all we've been practicing social distancing for years since our best friends moved.🤣

·
15,000 +posts!
19,927 Posts
I certainly hope not...but my hope is dwindling..I see this pandemic being used as an excuse to deny us of many rights and ways of life,this "New Normal" stuff is frightening..our officials insist things will never be "normal" again,not as we knew it anyways..:(

One of my friends had a point last week--I told him I doubted the governor would "open up" on May 18th as they said they would,since he kept moving the goal posts and extending the shut down previously more than once..

He explained :He HAS to at least start opening up the state--because it's almost time to start the EEE virus paranoia,the West Nile Virus paranoia,and tell everyone to FEAR the TICKS ! LYME DISEASE!--wear tall socks,light clothing,use insect repellent (which will kill you faster than the diseases probably)...

I had to say he was probably right--and to my surprise,the governor did "ease" some restrictions,but basically his "stage one" was "stage NONE" as far as us being able to go back to work or anything resembling a "normal life"...his 4 stage plan is rather dumb.:
Stage 1 "Start"
Stage 2 "Cautious"
Stage 3 "Vigilant"
Stage 4 "New Normal"..

I feel like making like Snagglepuss and say "EXIT--STAGE LEFT" every time I hear that step 4 phrase..
Unfortunately this is world wide,except for Antarctica ,there is NO place on earth unaffected by this virus..
But some places are dealing with it on a much better platform..
We never had to change every aspect of our lives for the other deadly viruses that struck in the past,which we had no vaccines for and still don't..

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
I wonder if all our immune systems are going to weaken with all this constant sanitizing, which is proven to also kill the “good bacteria.” Not sure if any formal research has been done...
One could say the same thing about wearing a mask all day long. You are blocking the fresh air and re-breathing higher levels of CO₂ (carbon dioxide) which leads to the body becoming more acidic. It's known as Acidosis and can lead to any number of serious problems.

It is not so much with the constant sanitizing that you mentioned but overall use of antibiotics prescribed for just about everything. Antibiotics are used for bacterial infections, they do nothing for viruses or viral infections. The bacteria evolves to become more and more resistant to those treatments that kill it. Lots of research there.

2,440 Posts
Memorial Day, Monday the 25th will be 9 weeks we been in "Stay at Home" status. I'm not really complaining, I'm just stating. We were use to eating out three or four times a week but we don't mine cooking at home. We just had a 40 thousand dollar kitchen renovation completed just at the beginning of the virus.

·
Premium Member
587 Posts
I stay home all the time regardless of the virus. When I feel like it I walk across the cornfield with my dog to fish. I always have a mountain of Coke and Seltzer water on hand. I never let the coca-cola supply go below 30 cartons of 24 cans during normal times. My life is very simple. The shut down is harder for people that have an active life. LOL! I keep my wife supplied with home grown tobacco and we have canned vegetables and we can stay shut down forever. If need be I can shoot some doves, pidgeons and squirrels I keep fed or a deer right from my back porch.

That said people need and want to get back to work.

2,440 Posts
Here's an interesting website tracking how many people are staying home in every state. It tracks everybody's movements. If you leave your town, leave your county, or leave your state. It tracks how miles you drive.That's anyone in the USA. Looks like only 20 to 30 % of most states ,the people stay home. This is why the virus is spreading. It gives the median income for every state and county. How many people are over 60. It gives all kinds of statistics. Just click on your state.

University of Maryland COVID-19 Impact Analysis Platform

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
Quite an interesting use of the cell phone tracking data, My craftsman 917.27308! There are any number of things to look at compared to the initial models and media reporting. The death rate is a rather odd one since the original models were vastly greater. As time has passed, more and more information has come out.

It is a very nice thing that I am not included in their calculations as I do not have a cell phone, although they may use my trucks electronics.

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
Using that University of Maryland Covid-19 website, I do have some questions with their data. According to the Florida COVID-19 website for my county, Jackson, we still have zero deaths. Yet the U of M website shows a death rate of 1.92%. How can you have any positive number when there are none?

·
Professional Homeowner
7,381 Posts
It’s funny here. Wife had a conference call with a bunch of here coworkers at a local gym. Our stay at home order was extended to June 12. Owner of gym asked the trainers if they would be comfortable coming back June 7.

Trainers: “Oh no! Too dangerous! We don’t want to get infected!”

Owner: “Ok, how about the 12th then?”

Trainers: “Oh, yeah! It’ll be safe then. We won’t even need to wear masks by that point.”

Seriously... the thick bold line spans 5 days?

Apparently someone up north wanted the marina to dump their boat in the water. The customer was really PO’d that the marina couldn’t accommodate them due to being so far behind because of the shut down. It was our governor’s husband that wanted the boat out. They live in Lansing, boat’s up in Torch Lake by their 2nd home (I’m not hating on them for having a second home on a lake - they’ve worked hard and done well for themselves). Governor told people not to travel if it isn’t necessary, ESPECIALLY to their vacation homes. Can you say “hypocrite?”

301 - 320 of 331 Posts