My Tractor Forum banner

281 - 300 of 331 Posts
2,440 Posts
This last stimulus bill , Cory Booker and others proposed giving all individuals $2,000 a month and $4,000 a month for families for the rest of the year. Joe Kennedy has proposed with a plan, $4,000 to individuals and extra $1,000 for every child.

Its going to be interesting what the next stimulus plan has in it.

·
We're all friends here
14,168 Posts
Mark, I hope you were able to take advantage of the PPP program.

Flaken, don't take chances and endanger yourself. It isn't worth it, especially if you are compromised. Just one carrier can infect many people. At least wear a mask. Take this as concern, not criticism.

2,440 Posts
We get lots of packages everyday. Most are food or cleaning materials. This eliminates grocery store trips. We always wear gloves and a mask whenever we receive a package at home. We don't open the door. We leave the package outside. We go outside with our gloves and mask on. Most of the packages we get are from amazon. We open them up outside. We leave the cardboard box outside, thinking if the virus is on it, it should disappear after a few days outside in the sunlight.

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
APinNY. I kinda thought that little comment would go unnoticed:). I understand where you are coming from, but you should also understand where I'm coming from. It is a simple fact of life that you will die sometime, we don't have any Woodrow Wilson Smith's (aka Lazarus Long) around that I know of. We also don't have the option really of choosing the place or time or method of our death.

I've lived an extremely event filled life, far more than most others, been fairly wealthy and fairly poor many times. I've lived and worked all over the USA in many different cities and states, only state I missed was Maine. I have no family nor others close to me, no girlfriend or wife. I was homeless for 3½ years. I'm 63 and been a smoker for 55 of those years and still am with no intention of stopping. My body and organs will be donated to science and my last will is current. I have no illusions about how life works.

I'm in fairly good condition, if you discount the disabilities which are structural. Get out and ride my pedal recumbent trike several times a month over 20 miles each time. Don't even own a bike helmet and never used one, even though I used a bicycle as my only means of transport (no car) for over 15 years. Didn't have one on the 2,600 mile trike ride across 11 states. Clean & sober for almost 8 years now, which means no drugs other than ibuprofen and certainly no alcohol. Never eat take out or eat in restaurants, prepare all my own meals from scratch.

While CoVid-19 has a high infection rate, it does not have a high death rate, many more recover than die. Many will become infected and never know it unless specifically tested for it. My immune system works fairly well, almost never get sick with anything and the minor scrapes and cuts heal quickly. I'm also in an area of the country where CoVid-19 is much less prevalent.

Sure, I wear a seatbelt when driving, mainly because I can't afford the fine or the hassle. But a mask and/or gloves on the rare occasions that I'm out ain't gonna happen.

·
15,000 +posts!
19,927 Posts
2,730 now dead in MA,almost 200 more since Friday afternoon..:oops:

53,348 positive tests...over 200,000 have been tested so far,averaging 3-4 thousand tests a day..
Still no change really as far as the average ages,most of the victims were over 60 and 55% of all the deaths were patients in assisted living centers and nursing homes..

No word yet as far as extending the lock down date,but it's not likely they will allow the restrictions here to ease on May 4th as they hoped for..

I went out to pay my verizon bill yesterday,using the ATM like machine at a store..its next to a grocery store,and maybe 30% of the people coming out of it had masks,gloves,or both on..seems most folks aren't that worried about getting infected that are under 50 or so..

I did go see a friend at his auto repair shop,I hadn't gone there in 3 weeks--just wanted to see if he was still OK,and he told me the Autozone he buys most of his parts at,had a few warehouse workers die,that deliver parts to the store down the road from him..so he's been washing his hands a lot more and using sanitizer,and is trying to cut down on smoking--he has coughed like he has lung cancer for years--yesterday he didn't at all though..

I wore a mask and stayed far across the room from him the hour or so I was there..

I wasn't feeling good,my heart was doing its pounding beat thing all day,and I felt shaky & weak,from being off my feet for weeks and sitting too much--my lower back was in agony too..it wasn't till I got home ,had some lunch and drank some orange juice and took an asprin,that it finally calmed down..

I really didn't want to hang around there as long as I did,but I also needed to get the heck out of the house awhile and talk to a human,instead of typing on a computer..since I had not seen him for quite a while we had a lot to catch up on..so far no one I or he knows has got the virus or died...yet..!..hope it stays that way...meanwhile I'm staying home as much as possible,taking as few chances as possible..

·
4,151 Posts
While CoVid-19 has a high infection rate, it does not have a high death rate, many more recover than die. Many will become infected and never know it unless specifically tested for it. My immune system works fairly well, almost never get sick with anything and the minor scrapes and cuts heal quickly. I'm also in an area of the country where CoVid-19 is much less prevalent.
In our local newspaper the obituaries used to be about 3/4 of a page to a page and a half...today's was 7 pages....it really does not matter if you live in a high density population area or not...in New York the epicenter was a little village called New Rochelle up in Westchester County...an affluent area where it is believed one infected person attended a religious service and it just cascaded...some people spreading the virus are not even experiencing any symptoms...and although the rate may not be high...the totals are

·
15,000 +posts!
19,927 Posts
Weird thing here in my county,over 5,000 have tested positive,and even higher amounts on a bordering county close by,but despite their being many deaths reported in local nursing homes here--there has only been one or two obituaries in the local paper the past two weeks daily--nothing unusual about that..

All I can guess is the funeral parlors are back logged and the families may be holding off having a funeral right away and haven't made all the arrangements yet..it is especially sad when they aren't even allowing more than 10 people to attend a funeral,and all must wear masks & gloves,even the preacher..worse still is the fact the hospitals are banning all visitors,if you have a loved one who's dying,you cant be with them at their bedside..:(

2,440 Posts
Robert, if you click on the John Hopkins Dashboard click on US , then scroll in to your state, then find the red dot of your area and it will give you the details of your county. Click on this link. Notice at the bottom those arrows click on them and it gives you more details.

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
That's just anecdotal.
No, that is true. One merely needs to look at the Johns Hopkins dashboard to see that the most severely impacted areas are those in or near urban areas. If you look at the JHD, you can click on the map to see the current statistics for that specific county.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Madison
confirmed cases
4,756 total tested
4 COVID-19 deaths
no new cases or deaths in our county today good news

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
Whooo, you way up there, northbama! But you have Huntsville with almost 200,000 people and Madison County as a whole has another 100,000 more. You also have an Army base near at Redstone Arsenal. Compare that with my county Jackson in Florida which is larger than your county. Our largest city is Marianna at around 6,000 people and the county has 53,000 people. As of today, we have 13 cases and no deaths or hospitalizations, 392 tested.

·
21,713 Posts
TUDOR. Perhaps the context to the 2017 flu season statistic was that there were no daily reporting of any numbers. While the flu season may overlap years, the statistic only covered 2017.
Flaken. Flu season, like winter, spans the last part of one year and into the first part of the following. This is how the results are posted by the CDC, thus the 2017/18 indicator for the year. Breaking the numbers up for only one year is an unrealistic way of getting a seasonal result since the front end of a given year is a different season than the tail end of the year.

In any event , and using your number for only 2017, 60k deaths from this pandemic will be achieved within the next few days, or after only 13 weeks, 12 weeks if you count the start as the first suspected Corvid-19 death in CA in early February, or just over 8 weeks if you count from the first confirmed death in WA in late February.

While that particular flu season was 19 weeks long, the length has been shorter or longer for other seasons and can run for as many as 30 weeks. Do you realistically expect this pandemic to have a shorter run? When was the actual start date, and when is the anticipated end date? I don't know the actual start and end dates that the CDC used for compiling the chart for flu deaths, but I did count the number of days in the months that the chart listed for the season and divided by seven for the number of weeks.

The math is quite simple for the flu seasons from past years. It's a bit more complicated for estimating this with particular fiasco. The published estimate of 100,00 deaths by August first is not unrealistic . We still have 13.5 weeks to go to get to that date and we are well past the halfway toll after only 12 weeks.

Hopefully, like the flu, this thing will go dormant during the summer. At 73, and already suffering from COPD, I'm not betting on it, and I'm more than a bit concerned for what will come in the fall if it does.

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
TUDOR. Completely agree with you. The actual flu season statistics for most any year aren't really the point, it's that we have become very complacent on the subject of what exactly kills people. A flu season was used simply because it is another highly contagious virus. The flu season of 2017-18 was used as that was the latest data published. Many people assume that respiratory flu doesn't kill. Could have maybe used the Spanish Flu epidemic of 1918-1920 instead which infected 500 million people worldwide and killed somewhere around 91 million people. But there are many historical problems with that and the primary one is that sanitation has improved by leaps and bounds, that and records then are not the most accurate.

There are any number of theories being postulated about what is going to happen with CoVid-19. The simple fact is that we can't see what the future will bring us. One theory is the herd immunity where if more people are exposed to the virus, the body creates the antibodies to fight it off as it does with other virus/bacteria/fungi attacks. Quarantine doesn't help with that theory.
Another theory is the social distancing which may explain why CoVid-19 is hitting the urban areas so hard while the more rural areas are much less. Those in urban areas are constantly exposed to many other people who touch the same things that you touch.
Heat and humidity is another theory. Where the warmer weather may stop it.

But with the recent antibody testing conducted worldwide, they are finding that perhaps many more people have been exposed to CoVid-19 than what they thought. Why would one have antibodies to CoVid-19, but show no symptoms? Can the ones with the antibodies infect the ones that don't have it and to what extent?

2,440 Posts
My zip code has 187 cases out of 59000 residents. I'm not sure on the death total for the zip code.
The county has 6500 cases out of a population of 1,000,000 people. The county has 369 Deaths
The state has over 31,000 cases with a population of almost 6,000,000 people.
The state has 1,500 deaths, almost half are from nursing homes, assisted living, and jails.

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
My zip code has 187 cases out of 59000 residents. I'm not sure on the death total for the zip code.
The county has 6500 cases out of a population of 1,000,000 people. The county has 369 Deaths
The state has over 31,000 cases with a population of almost 6,000,000 people.
The state has 1,500 deaths, almost half are from nursing homes, assisted living, and jails.
Quite a population dense area of the country, but that isn't the norm everywhere.
My zip code has zero cases out of a population 4,119. The county has 72 cases out of a population of 46,414 with zero deaths and 1 hospitalization. The state has 40,001 cases out of a population of 21,000,000 with 1,715 deaths and around a third of those deaths in nursing homes, jails and assisted living.

·
Registered
5,304 Posts
This area's population nearly doubles in the Summer as it is a tourist destination with a lot of lakefront camps owned by Americans. Our concern is that when the border is opened back up, that they will bring the virus here. I hope they enforce the 14 day quarantine on arrivals. We could use the revenue from fines to help pay for the new police station being built.

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
These pandemics go through fairly regularly; "Hong Kong" flu in 1968 killed 3 million worldwide, and 100,000 in the US.
Who remembers that?
There are more.
We should be better prepared...
There are no cases at all reported in my county, or the ones to either side.
So having lived a full life, blah blah, I want to keep on living for as long as I can, so we're locked down, shopping with mask + gloves.
If some people want to get back to work, that's great by me.
I'll be working from home until this one has passed.

281 - 300 of 331 Posts