My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The way this epidemic is affecting lives in all kinds of unforeseen ways is frustrating. It's bad enough the social distancing, the long lines at customs posts and supermarkets, a big chunk of our retirement savings gone in a week and not teaching for 3 weeks (maybe more), my wife, who is under quarantine having just returned from the Caribbean, can't go see her dying mother. Not because of the effect on her mother, they are worried about the effect it could have on her other aging relatives with health conditions.

Add to that that we need 10 times more intensive care beds and respirators than we have and how truly scary this bug is and it sets us up for one **** of a time.

·
Registered
5,145 Posts
having just returned from the Caribbean...
Not wanting to alarm you but a person here just returned from the Caribbean and tested positive for covid-19.

Schools are closed, fast food restaurants are only drive-through, store shelves are sparse.

·
Premium Member
3,048 Posts
Unfortunately, a whole bunch of people are "yah, whatever, the last X things weren't so bad (H1N1, Sars, etc), so we don't need to do anything special for this one"...

What's stupid funny is the packed crowds/lineups at airports to go through screening for it. Might as well just inject everyone with it...

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
John Hopkins University (USA) put out some numbers on Sunday about the worldwide pandemic that I doubt many have seen.

169,387 confirmed cases worldwide
77,257 confirmed recovered worldwide (about 45%)
6,513 confirmed deaths worldwide (about 3%)

I went grocery shopping this morning at the local grocery store, in and out about 10 minutes. No bare shelves there while at Walmart yesterday, they did not have TP, wipes or bleach and then just scattered about empty spaces. No lines longer than usual. I don't ever do fast food so don't even look to see if they are open or closed. Log trucks going by today with finished lumber going out.

·
Premium Member
9,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not wanting to alarm you but a person here just returned from the Caribbean and tested positive for covid-19.

Schools are closed, fast food restaurants are only drive-through, store shelves are sparse.
Yeah, and speaking of lines, they had to wait a couple of hours in customs to get off the ship. Another thing that happened was they went to Mexico for sight seeing because St. Maartin wouldn't let them in.

·
15,000 +posts!
19,759 Posts
Unfortunately, a whole bunch of people are "yah, whatever, the last X things weren't so bad (H1N1, Sars, etc), so we don't need to do anything special for this one"...

What's stupid funny is the packed crowds/lineups at airports to go through screening for it. Might as well just inject everyone with it...
Ditto for going food shopping here the past few days--I waited till after dark Saturday and went to a smaller supermarket in a nearby town instead of my usual place,hoping they would still have some of what I needed left,but NO bread was left,no english muffins,all the milk except a dozen gallons of whole milk gone,(I bought 2),and I got one of the last dozen eggs left--the cleaning products were wiped out ,no Lysol,no rubbing alcohol or hydrogen peroxide,and maybe 3 quarts of bleach were left..

I had heard where I usually go and Walmart were mobbed with about 500 people,and we have two Super Walmarts in my town,people as far away as RI and CT were coming here to buy up everything,as well as all the surrounding towns..good thing I had a few rolls of toilet paper on hand,because it'll be a hunt to find any more around here...plenty of paper towels and napkins though..

"Avoid gatherings of 10 people or more"..yeah sure--when 500 people are waiting in long lines inches apart at checkout ,and everyone's slimy fingers are pressing the buttons on the credit card readers,touch screens,shopping cart handles,etc...they may as well spray the virus on you as you walk in the door..also many small children being taken along to shop,they touch everything and are coughing..thought they were sent home to shelter in place ?..

I heard lots of coughing while I was in the store--I could not get out of there fast enough--only about 40 people there..there was a cashier wiping her nose with a tissue who said "I can take you here",I said "no thanks--I'll WAIT for the next register to clear out"...:sick:

I have never seen any disease scare being so hyped up,I know this is a new virus and we have no known treatments,but if the officials had not been saying for weeks since the end of January "the risk is very low of contracting it",then pulling a 180 and shutting all the schools down for 3-6 weeks suddenly,of course all the parents had to scramble to buy enough food for the duration all at once,it is no wonder stores were stripped clean of many things..they should have been telling us to start stocking up over a month and a half ago, "just in case"...

I'm hoping the shortages will be remedied soon--I have some canned soups and pasta to last me a couple weeks,but after thats gone I'm boned--they are starting to limit how much you can buy now,and some stores are setting certain hours aside for only those over 60--from 6 am till 7:30 am,which is rather dumb,most of my older friends dont get up early..and the hoarders will just empty the shelves the night before most likely too..
I suddenly started sneezing yesterday when I got up and my nose ran like a faucet all day--this morning its back to "normal"..hoping it was just my allergies and not anything worse..haven't left the house since Saturday and do not plan to until I have to get more milk and bread and a few other things..we are close to being put in a lockdown ,I bet they will as soon as one person dies from the virus--so far over 220 have tested positive..but there are 7 million people in MA too..so far the flu is still the biggest killer..

·
Super Moderator
27,389 Posts
No problem for me to stay home but my son has to work so still a chance that he could bring home something. We both just got over a normal case of flu. Got a pack of paper towels the other day and have enough TP to last this out!

·
3,204 Posts
I went to restaurant depot with my brother yesterday...he is a member somehow....I picked up a crate of eggs for my church's food pantry for needy families...but it turned out that the pantry is not operating through this crisis ......now I have 15 dozen eggs left ...my wife went on face book and offered them to old people...she did not like it when I reminded her that we are kind of old ourselves...also.....I had to go under the kitchen sink to turn on an outside faucet....I found 4 containers of sanitary wipes under there.....seems my wife was collecting them since before it was fashionable...now I am going into the bathroom and look in the toilet...that's where I heard my stocks are

·
We're all friends here
13,972 Posts
I went to the DMV to clear the title to our car, which I recently paid off, and renew the trailer reg. They stopped me at the door and asked if I had an appointment. Apparently you have to call ahead and get one. Then they let only one at a time in. Home Depot was almost empty and the supermarket was out of bread. We took a a bike ride and noticed that there were many people out walking. I guess not many are working.

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
Thought it quite humorous that the eye doctor that did my cataract removal sent an email stating their new procedures. They will only see scheduled appointments, only the patient and approved caregiver and you have to call from inside your vehicle in the parking area when you get there and wait until they call you back to enter the building.
It's a good thing that I have no scheduled appointments with them since I do not have a cell phone.

·
Banned
1,484 Posts
My wife and I went to Walmart on Monday night to get a few grocery extras to fill in for awhile. Pretty much found what we were looking for except yeast. A lot of shelves bare, though. When we were there last Thursday night, I happened to find one 12 ounce bottle of Germ X Advanced hand sanitizer several aisles away from where it belonged and on a bottom shelf. Not hidden, though. Just goes to show that a lot of people don't notice things. The rest of the sanitizer, as well as bottles of rubbing alcohol, had been gone for many days. It sure is strange to feel like finding a bottle of hand sanitizer is akin to finding a winning lottery ticket.

All the fuss about toilet paper is needless. I haven't used it in years. I use a washcloth that I wash out every time. Toilet paper does not get you as clean and also tends to cling to excess hair. I never cared for my backside to look like a tree at Halloween! :giggle:

·
Registered
5,145 Posts
Pretty much found what we were looking for except yeast.
Wife could not find any of the bread I use for my lunchbox, so she got the idea to buy a bread maker. Turns out they need a special kind of yeast. She went to three different stores looking for it and finally found some.

She had stocked up on my bread earlier and now I am eating stale bread. I could have switched to other bread. I can't wait for it to be gone so I can try some fresh home made bread. This virus has me working 7 days a week.

·
3,204 Posts
All the fuss about toilet paper is needless. I haven't used it in years. I use a washcloth that I wash out every time. Toilet paper does not get you as clean and also tends to cling to excess hair. I never cared for my backside to look like a tree at Halloween! :giggle:
OK....I gotta know...if you aren't kidding...where in the world do you keep this thing between uses?

·
We're all friends here
13,972 Posts
Whoa! Way too much info. ?
Just get a bidet. :LOL:

·
15,000 +posts!
19,759 Posts
The Registry Of Motor Vehicles here in MA had been shut down last Friday "until further notice",but yesterday I saw a report on the news they decided to open only 6 branches in various towns--lines were several hundred feet long outside,only one person at a time was allowed inside..

I got an e-mail from Home Depot saying they will be closing all their stores at 6 pm from now on,so they can re-stock shelves and sanitize the stores--also they noted they are "out of most cleaning supplies and awaiting new deliveries,much of their supply has been donated to health care facilities"..
I assume they are talking about face masks,disinfectants,hand sanitizer,toilet paper,etc..

I wish that stores would use facebook to let customers know when they get stuff in,so we wont have to risk a trip for nothing and find out they don't have certain items,I suppose it would only give hoarders first dibs though...I do not like wasting fuel,and risking my neck driving my old wreck all over the place ,and exposing myself to several stores worth of germs when one is bad enough..

I think the "social distancing" is a farce too...how many cars and trucks have seats 6 feet apart ?..even on a bus you cant sit 6 feet away even if both people are up against the windows on opposite sides..you cant hand your germy money to a cashier from 6 feet away either!..

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
Alternatives to TP such as bidet or cloth or water/hand might actually be a needed culture shift. There had been another thread lately about that topic. The subject seems like the elephant in the room.
It really is rather strange how some things took a turn way back when in America and now they simply don't exist much, at all, in American culture. Look at the recumbent bicycle that was banned from racing in 1934 because they were so much faster than an upright bicycle. Almost impossible to find them today although I do have a recumbent tricycle. Almost the same thing happened with bidets in America. During World War II, servicemen encountered them in 'houses of ill repute' in Europe where certain diseases could be had. The connection was vague but that is what happened. If one looks at the designs of modern American bathrooms as opposed to most anywhere else in the world, bidets simply don't exist.

·
Super Moderator
11,290 Posts
And here I thought the Super Bowl was in February! Who knew? :) I didn't know what to expect when I clicked "play" but it turned out to be pretty informative. I'm not too sure about the Toto. The extension looked like the periscope of a mini Japanese sub breaking the waterline as it extended outward.

·
Registered
735 Posts
The small town where I live is like the day the earth stood still,crazy.Anyway,I'm high risk so I talked to my Doc Tuesday and told him I needed a scrip for hydroxychloroquine.He wasn't aware so he researched for a few minutes and called it in. Went to the pharmacy and they said"Oh,you're the one.We've been expecting you.It'll be a few minutes.So,I waited and they called over the intercom.I walked out with it but had to order some zinc pills. Got 10 200Mg,enough for 5 day supply and that should be enough to knock the virus out. The hydroxychloroquine weakens the cell structure so the Zinc can enter and destroy it. I can take one pill a week along with the Zinc for a preventative measure.Not FDA approved but I got it anyway.

1 - 20 of 83 Posts