My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This 33 tiller and "317 PTO fabrication / may be ugly but she's mine and she works!!!

A while back I purchased a 33 tiller with the lift rod, but no pto for my 317. After a bunch of measuring once and cutting twice(or something like that), I finally got done making my own pto shaft, I installed two new belts, and gave a test run today!
I am very pleased, although now that I know she works, after I'm done tilling for the season I think she may deserve a minor facelift and some "purdying" up!

Sent from the MTF Free App

Attachments

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
Re: This 33 tiller may be ugly but she's mine and she works!!!

Did you happen to take pics of your pto shaft?

·
Super Moderator
33,612 Posts

Jduffy :wwp: of the shaft fabrication!

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Jduffy :wwp: of the shaft fabrication!
The items that I used were...
1. Stock hydro cooling fan
2. Yoke from a GM TH350 transmission
3. An axle shaft from a Dana 35 rear Jeep axle
4. A length of 1.25" dia mild steel rod
5. A 3" pc of .25" wall 1.75" mild steel tube
6. 1 SKF flange bearing with 1.25"ID
7. Two 4" pulleys with weldable center sectons
8. One 5"x6"x3/8" pc of flat stock

I took the yoke from the TH350 and cut the splined tube from the ear section. I had a steel ring centered and welded to the stock fan and to that ring welded the splined tube. I tried to do this myself and had to cut it apart due to the warping I was unable get it centered at the end. I finally took it to a local tool & die shop who was able to acheive perfection for a price.

I cut the splined end from the axle shaft (which is the same spline count and pitch as the TH350 output) beveled the shaft end, and beveled the edge of the 1.25" rod. I then welded the 2 together using the beveled valley to acheive a good penetration. I then gound down the weld smooth to the 1.25" rod then slid the 1.75" tube over the weld and welded one side to the shaft, one to the rod as a strengthening sleeve.
Using my freinds lathe and a BFH I spun and "adjusted" the newly fabricated shaft until it spun true.

I milled a 1/4" keyway into the rod portion of the new shaft to accommodate the bearing (held in place with 2 set screws) and pulleys (held in place with 1/4" key and 2 set screws)

The flat stock I cut for the housing of the flange bearing to sit inside, and drilled it for the flange bearing to bolt to, and the for the flat stock to bolt to the frame.
1366580214885.jpg The finished shaft with bearing
1366580286780.jpg Installed but still very long before I aligned everything with the tiller mounted and then trimmed the excess

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
33,612 Posts

That is a great job of fabricating to meet a need!

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Now I wish there was a way to edit my title to include "317 PTO fabrication write up"... :D

·
Retired Super Moderator - Deceased September 2015
26,679 Posts
Re: This 33 tiller and "317 PTO fabrication / may be ugly but she's mine and she work

Good job! Modded the Title! :howdy:

·
Shop = My Therapy
3,157 Posts
Re: This 33 tiller and "317 PTO fabrication / may be ugly but she's mine and she work

Great job

·
Registered
1,118 Posts

That looks great, nice job! I had a 312 that someone made a homemade pto. It wasn't as nice as yours but it worked. They used a piece of heavy angle iron, and a pillow-block setup for the bearing to sit on, and just welded rod into the end of the stock fan.

·
Registered
367 Posts

Great Job!! Just love seeing these kind of projects.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

It was a bit of fun! As usual though I put nothing down on paper and adjusted from the picture in my head as I went along. It didn't go exactly as planned, as originally I was just going cut off and use the axle shaft for the whole thing! But unfortunatley that shaft was 1.28" and the bearing and pulleys have 1.25" bore and being that it was a hardend shaft I couldn't get it to turn down on the lathe. Other than that, it was somewhat flawless...

·
Registered
2,528 Posts

WE have made several. However I noticed you have NO flax Joint...... That will tend to knock the bushing/bearings out of the rear of the trans.. NO big problem. only about $400.00 repair job... IT needs a flex coupler;;;

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

WE have made several. However I noticed you have NO flax Joint...... That will tend to knock the bushing/bearings out of the rear of the trans.. NO big problem. only about $400.00 repair job... IT needs a flex coupler;;;
Please do tell...

I tried to get as close to the factory design as possible and I did not see anything like that. Do you have picture of what your talking about that I can reference? Obviously I wouldn't want to spend $400 which I could save myself by adding a likely much less expensive part to my build. Thanks for the info!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts