My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I figured this would be a good first post...

Two weeks ago my wife finally convinced me to purchase a riding mower to reduce the mowing time i've been doing with my self propelled mower. Naturally we went to sears to see what they had. To make a log story short, we decided on a YT4000 with a 42" deck and hydro. Delivery would occur four days from then. In the meantime I found this forum and have read tons of useful information! Thanks everyone for the info!

I took a half day off of work for delivery day and finally the mower showed up. Basically the delivery guys took it off of the truck, pushed it into my garage and asked for the signature. This is when I noticed the misaligned hood and the gouge in the hood that exposed the bare metal. Scratches were everywhere. I promptly called my sales person and he arranged for a redelivery of another mower in a week. He told me to go ahead and use this one since I already had it. I signed the paper work and the delivery guys were off. I mowed my lawn and was hooked. I couldn't believe how much faster it was to mow! The cut wasn't bad either seeing that I never checked any of the adjustments.

One week later (yesterday), my replacement mower was delivered and they took away the first one. This time I spent time to level the deck and fine tune everything to make sure it was all set, since this was the one I was keeping. I fired up the mower, purged the tranny, drove around for a little bit and proceeded to mow my lawn. I noticed that this one didn't seem to have the pep that the last one had but I just shrugged it off. About half way through mowing, a harsh metal to metal sound appeared and the mower started shaking, I pulled onto my sidewalk and disengaged the PTO, the sound reduced so I decided to drive it in. I stepped on the pedal and nothing but groaning from the mower. This is when the burning smell showed up and the smoke began billowing out form the bottom. I looked at the hour meter and thought, "Great, 1.7 hours and it's broken already". I again called my sales perosn and he was very apologetic. He agreed to meet me at the store the next day and go over options. I made it clear that I was NOT keeping this mower.

Today, I met with my sales person. I could have gotten a refund and walked away but we were both interested in an alternative. As he was taking a phone call, I was again walking through the floor looking at the models on the floor. He got off of the phone and I said, "How about I go with a different model?" He said, "sure." I then said, "I only have another $400, give me the black one over there with the hydro and a three bin bagger and we'll call it even. Tomorrow's my birthday and I'll even pick it up myself." He called his manager and explained the problems I had been having. He also told him that I was considering taking the refund and walking away. He hung up the phone, looked at me and said, "Did you want the hardside or softside bagger?"

So now I sit here typing this post anxiously awaiting the arrival of my 2009 GT5000 for pickup. I have to wait until July 30 but I will happily consider this my 30th birthday present! I never thought I'd ever be this exited about a garden tractor...

Hopefully the third time's a charm...

Thanks for reading!

·
Retired Aug.31 2007
7,473 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I think you made an excellent trade and your salesman did you right.

·
Registered
5,648 Posts
Glad to hear you had success with the saleman. Let us know about the 'newest' one when it arrives. It's always good to hear good news.
Welcome to MTF, vegas.

·
Registered
590 Posts
:MTF_wel2: and don't be shy with pix

·
Has anyone seen ChimChim?
6,553 Posts

·
Registered
660 Posts
You went form a riding mower to a garden tractor. Not bad. Now you can dig up the lawn and buy attachments and plant a garden. Less lawn less mowing. Now you can go back to your push mower. LOL
The GT5000 is a much better tractor all the way around. It has a better frame and the trans will last a long time. You will get years more use out of the GT than you would have they YT> Happy Birthday by the way and welcome to the forum.

·
Has anyone seen ChimChim?
6,553 Posts
I concur with SailingAmerican. The frame still isn't that stout, but it is better than a YT, and the Transmission and Engine is where they spent the money and IMHO, they did a fine job on both ends of the machine. The hydro-gear G730 so far has been a dream as has been the Kohler Courage 26.

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
:MTF_wel2: vegas79! You definately made a good score going with the GT5K. That's a whole lot more tractor for an extra $400.00 plus you scored the 3 bin bagger to boot.

I wish you the best of luck and Happy Birthday!!!! :drunkie: :fest30:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts