My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 147 Posts

·
Have Dog - Will Travel
2022 Toyota 4Runner
7,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I mentioned in another thread where I followed the construction of a modular home near where I live; a new lot has been listed for a house. The lot is about 20' from the end of my driveway, which makes it easy for me to check in daily on progress. And 1500' from my house and lawn, which makes it far enough away that I don't hear the construction process.

In that other thread I already shared a couple pictures of the corner stakes and this one identified as the "Infiltration Test" location.

Plant Terrestrial plant Grass Groundcover Grass family

This morning Scout and I took a longer hike, and heard an excavator, so we wandered to the end of the drive and found the source:

Plant Wheel Sky Tire Tree

They've dug a trench about 6' deep near the Infiltration Test stake and set a 5 gallon bucket in it. There is a guy sitting in the truck. Maybe having a coffee, maybe waiting to see if the bucket fills, not sure.

The Lot for sale sign still shows: "Sale Pending". Again I am not sure if the sign is out of date, or if the Infiltration Test is a pre-condition of sale.

FWIW, It appears Scout and I will follow another house build, and this time never even leave our driveway. Stay tuned!

·
Registered
4,797 Posts
Nice looking area!

If this is for a septic field, it might be what is called a perk test. If that is what they are doing, it determines how much water a given area will absorb naturally. Lots are often sold with a contingency that they have a satisfactory perk test. Otherwise, there can be added costs for engineering drain fields come into play. Perhaps it is why "sale pending" still on it awaiting the clearing of these contingencies. Just a guess of course.

Reactions: MARK (LI)

·
Have Dog - Will Travel
2022 Toyota 4Runner
7,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nice looking area!

If this is for a septic field, it might be what is called a perk test. If that is what they are doing, it determines how much water a given area will absorb naturally. Lots are often sold with a contingency that they have a satisfactory perk test. Otherwise, there can be added costs for engineering drain fields come into play. Perhaps it is why "sale pending" still on it awaiting the clearing of these contingencies. Just a guess of course.
This is not likely a perk test as the lot is close enough to the road to require connection to municipal water and sewer. I believe this is a test to determine if run-off controls will need to be developed into the lot plan. The modular house I mentioned earlier and tracked the development of also required connection to water and sewer, but had to develop a water run off control field.

·
Registered
4,797 Posts
Ah,... municipal sewers, didn't realize. Area looks like a great rural setting, very nice!

·
I'll never get to 10,000
5,698 Posts
Will be following too.
Probably like others have said for storm water run off. Ever since Sandy, a lot of places are requiring retention/detention to mitigate flooding issues, especially if areas are paved over.

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
There is a steady parade of gravel trucks and building materials past my place, it seems to be a frenzy. Probably trying to get to lock up before the snow and cold hit but I wonder why they wait until so late in the year.

·
Have Dog - Will Travel
2022 Toyota 4Runner
7,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Scout and I walked back down later in the afternoon for a peek into the trench to see just what they actually did.

Plant Green Tire Grass Groundcover

That should really clear things up, eh?

I am still convinced this was a test of some sort to determine if the ground will require run-off remediation. I don't know if it passed or failed, but mid afternoon they refilled the trench, leveled it, and took the excavator away. QED.

And @MARK (LI) The Drone is still here on loan from my son. I could get some video now, but now there is just a dirt patch where the trench had been earlier today.

Reactions: MARK (LI)

·
Have Dog - Will Travel
2022 Toyota 4Runner
7,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Your neighborhood is getting crowded.
Probably is, though I can't see any neighbor from my house, which is just the way I like it. I guess with all these new homes representing new tax payers, I can expect a tax rate reduction - right?

• Haha
Reactions: mopar65pa

·
Registered
4,797 Posts
Roy replied..."but I wonder why they wait until so late in the year."

Here is a just guess: Lumber prices spiked in early and mid summer. Any builder who didn't have an solid "contracted" price, likely took a little time off on new builds to see if the prices would come down. They did, but not to old days levels.

·
close enuff works for me
3,357 Posts
New expensive houses will bring your value up , higher taxes in the future.. Enjoyed all the photo's you have posted on the other house builds in the neighborhood. " it's a beautiful day in the neighborhood"

·
Parts collector
88 Dodge Snowfiter, 93 Dodge diesel, 02 Durango, 01 Electra, 02 Sportster, 2000 Dodge diesel 5 speed
5,424 Posts
Yes that is a run off test. I thought you were out too far to have sewer Jere. Man I'm glad i have septic and a well.

I guess with all these new homes representing new tax payers, I can expect a tax rate reduction - right?
LMBO! :ROFLMAO: Nope but we can hope that the new property tax bill goes through so they are eliminated.

Reactions: Jere39

·
Have Dog - Will Travel
2022 Toyota 4Runner
7,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yes that is a run off test. I thought you were out too far to have sewer Jere. Man I'm glad i have septic and a well.

LMBO! :ROFLMAO: Nope but we can hope that the new property tax bill goes through so they are eliminated.
They ran sewer and water on the road past my driveway a couple years ago to accommodate a relatively large development at the bottom of the hill I live on. The township does not want to deplete ground water, so they didn't want the developer to drill wells. The township folks don't seem to be able to grasp the concept that a well and septic system is ground water level neutral. Anyway, I am too far from the road to have to connect, and my well and septic are working fine (well now that I had my well pump replace a couple weeks ago).

And, by the way, Scout and I inspected the refilled trench today while walking to pick up my Son's motorcycle:

Plant Dog Dog breed Carnivore Tree

1 - 20 of 147 Posts