My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've recent been finding myself thinking of selling off the 212 and 318 to help fund something newer. I use the tractors to mow approximately 2 acres of grass, till the garden, and blow snow. I've found the 49 blower effective for my needs and while I just got them I think the hydraulic tiller would do a good job for me as well.

I wouldn't mind getting a nicer cut while mowing and to have a larger deck.

The main reason for upgrading is I'm not sure I want to spend a bunch of time working on the machines. I love using them but wouldn't mind it if I didn't need to do much work. As such, I'm considering new or something new enough to likely have a lot of use before little things start popping up.

I'm not too familiar with the newer series. Should I consider x700 series, x5x5 series,x4x5 series??? Beyond that I'm not sure what each model brings to the table. I wouldn't mind 4 wheel drive/diesel but they aren't necessary for my needs I don't think. I'd get a diesel before 4 wheel drive I think (if possible) unless I we used to push snow rather than blow snow.

Anyway, any thoughts on what may work best for me would be really appreciated!

·
MTF member
399 Posts
....Beyond that I'm not sure what each model brings to the table......Anyway, any thoughts on what may work best for me would be really appreciated!
My recommendation would be to look for a x495 or X595. x495 (2x4/diesel) can be had for about $5000 and x595 (4x4/diesel) can be had for about $6200--with a couple/few hundred hours.

x465= 21hp Kawasaki v-twin air cooled gas, carburated, 2WD.
x475= 23hp Kawasaki v-twin liquid cooled gas, carburated, 2WD.
x485= 25hp Kawasaki v-twin liquid cooled gas, fuel injected, 2WD.
x495= 24hp Yanmar 3 cylinder liquid cooled diesel, 2WD.

x575= 23hp Kawasaki v-twin liquid cooled gas, carburated, 4WD.
x585= 25hp Kawasaki v-twin liquid cooled gas, fuel injected, 4WD.
x595= 24hp Yanmar 3 cylinder liquid cooled diesel, 4WD.

x700= 23hp Kawasaki v-twin liquid cooled gas, carburated, 2WD.
x720= 27hp Kawasaki v-twin liquid cooled gas, fuel injected, 2WD.
x724= 27hp Kawasaki v-twin liquid cooled gas, fuel injected, 2WD, All wheel steer.
x728= 27hp Kawasaki v-twin liquid cooled gas, fuel injected, 4WD.
x729= 27hp Kawasaki v-twin liquid cooled gas, fuel injected, 4WD, All wheel steer.
x740= 24hp Yanmar 3 cylinder liquid cooled diesel, 2WD.
x748= 24hp Yanmar 3 cylinder liquid cooled diesel, 4WD.
x749= 24hp Yanmar 3 cylinder liquid cooled diesel, 4WD, All wheel steer.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Perfect...thanks!

In what situations would the 4 wheel drive most useful.

Are the decks on these shaft or belt driven? Tiller PTO driven? How about a blower. And do they make single stage blowers for these? Given that the 49 blower has worked well for me I think the two stage would be overkill. I gotta save some $ somewhere!

·
MTF member
399 Posts
Perfect...thanks!

In what situations would the 4 wheel drive most useful.

Are the decks on these shaft or belt driven? Tiller PTO driven? How about a blower. And do they make single stage blowers for these? Given that the 49 blower has worked well for me I think the two stage would be overkill. I gotta save some $ somewhere!
Your welcome, mdchambe:thThumbsU

Regarding your first question, that would be more of a question for a x595, x748, etc owner to answer. I do know that 4WD will come in real handy when in snow....

The decks are shaft drive off the mid PTO. There are two types of tillers for these tractors. A rear PTO driven one, which is obviously shaft driven. The secound one is powered by a hydraulic pump connected to the tractors mid PTO. Both tillers work well, from what I've heard.
Deere did make single stage snowblowers for these tractors, but it is now discontinued. Used one's do come up for sale some time, usually costing around $1200.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Seems like used two stage blowers can be found in the same ballpark as far as cost goes. In which case I'd probably just go that route.

·
Registered
139 Posts
If your mowing ditch banks, or long grass with wet spots, the 4X4 is nice for added traction. I mow several wet spots, or weeping beds that are wet all the time and need 4WD to get through it. I use an X748.

4WD might be nice to have for rototilling as well as snow removal.
You would be happy with any of the X4, X5 or X7 series tractors, although I am pretty partial to the Yanmar Diesel and recommend the Diesel.

I had a 455 before my X748, and they are a great mower as well. That may be another option to move to a newer mower as well. I needed the 4WD, otherwise I would still have my 455.

Jason

·
Super Moderator
13,361 Posts
While I am far from being in the market for an X series (mainly because my yard is a wee bit small and the 318 is already overkill :fing32:) I think if I was looking for one I would look for a newer X748..... the only reason being you have the possibility of finding one with a warranty still.

Personally the biggest reason I have not gotten into the the 4x5's and the X series is attachment costs. (beside my small yard)

Could you get a zero turn to mow with and keep the 318 for tilling and snow duty and sell the 212? or are you looking for an all in one?

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sounds like while the 4 wheels drove would be nice, I don't think it would be a need for me. As suck, I think the x495 would be the best alternative, provided I want a diesel. Ii suppose the 740, 724, or 720 may also be options.

Kyle...I agree that a warranty would be a great thing. Guess that's what I'd be paying for with the 720/724/740. I took a quick look and a x495 looks like it could be had for around 5000.

I like the idea of zero turn and 318, but I don't think it would be any cheaper. As you know, the 318 will provide bably sooner than later need a rebuild/repower. Couple that with a nice zero turn of 6-8k and I'm in the range of a 495 plus blower and tiller. That said, the 318 zero turn combo may would likely perform better for me?

Decisions decisions.

·
Registered
326 Posts
I think you would be happy with any of the diesel versions. You will pay a premium for the diesel, but you will really like how the diesels sip fuel compared to the gassers.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Since I was looking to replace my walk behind snow blower I needed 4WD for my sloped driveway. I also wanted to replace my LX280 so the Xseries made sense to me . I was deciding between X728 and X748. Already owning the 4410 swayed me to the diesel. After finding this forum I learned about the add ons and am happy i over bought when I did. Now my mower/blower/leaf remover gets used almost every day.

·
Likes Vintage JDs
9,875 Posts
Sounds like while the 4 wheels drove would be nice, I don't think it would be a need for me. As suck, I think the x495 would be the best alternative, provided I want a diesel....
Sounds like a good plan. Even the X495 will be a traction upgrade from what you have, because it offers a differential lock for the rear drive. :thThumbsU

Also, All-Wheel-Steer (AWS) was an option on these X495 machines, so that would be a bonus as well. (However, if you plan to add a 45 FEL down the road, be aware that JD does not spec the FEL for AWS machines -- but some people mount them anyway:fing32:)

Keep an open mind as you watch for one. I suggest you broaden your search parameters to include the X595, X740, and X744 (AWS). You never know what might pop up as an unexpecteldy good deal.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Our property is far from flat, so when I started looking for a 'new' garden tractor last Spring, I was determined to find one with 4WD.

I've used the 4WD on my x595 so many times that I would have kicked myself repeatedly had I purchased a 2WD variant. FWIW, I paid $6000 for an '03 with ~300 hours.

Fantastic machine.

Andreas

·
Registered
345 Posts
I'm a bit of a 4wd nut. Former mud racer, did some truck pulling, wouldn't own a 2wd ATV etc. The 4wd was not an option when I bought my 455, but with bar tires and rear weights I really don't miss it. These machines are extremely capable with the correct rubber. Looking at the signature series I debated the AWD, but again no need.

We mow steep ditches on sidehill, and a good part of our lawn is soggy. It is not uncommon to mow when there is standing water. Getting stuck let alone even spinning a wheel is a rare to non existent occurrence. Heck I seldom even use the diff lock. About the only time I have ever had grief is tilling Ma's garden. It's a bit sandy and if I go too slow with the tiller buried it can build up dirt in front and then I spin out. Just need to keep moving and this is not an issue.

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
I'll through my couple cents in. As Kennedy said traction isn't an issue with the right amount of weight and tires but if you use the tractor more like a CUT then it might be handy. If you have it you will find you use it. But coming from someone that stated they don't want to work on their tractor-the more parts you have the more things to fail/wear out. So an all wheel steer and/or all wheel drive will have more parts to worry about.

Diff lock-the 318 has dual brakes which kind of helps with the one wheel spin issue but you can install a locking diff from a 420/430 for around $500 if you really want.

Trust me-4X4 isn't needed tilling. I don't know what type of tilling everyone does but if you are on a hill tilling you are going to be having erosion issues anyways. I have never needed my diff lock for tilling and the tiller does most of the pushing anyways unless I reverse the direction on my 30 Hydro tiller and even then the tractor isn't laboring to pull it or spinning out.

Blowing-If you don't have a flat yard then I understand on this one wanting 4X4. I had to put a lot of weight to blow my neighbors driveway that was cement just to get to the top. But I also had the older style two stage 47 blower so in the raised position it was heavy. A newer quick hitch style is MUCH lighter. All wheel turn would be handy guiding the blower as well. But I haven't had much issues with two wheel steer and drive.

Loader-no issues-just need weight on the back. 4X4 would be nice as the front wheels could pick up the lost traction from the rears lifting up some. But as I said I haven't had issues. The biggest issue would be goind down a hill and tipping forward to where your rears can't stop you so you could use your front drive to slow down (if you don't tip over forward first).

Rear blade-could be nice to have 4X4 as the rear really looses traction without wheel weights added if there is a lot of pull from the rear so the front could help here. Adding weight to the front on a rear wheel drive only would make the issue worse even.

Rear plow-pulls a 12 inch bottom all day long now issues (FYI my 332 diesel sippes fuel for 6 hours I had around 3 gallons of use plowing).

My question is if you don't want to work on things-sell the 212 to fund a overhaul of the needed things for the 318. Get the lineup of equipment you want and be done with it for maybe a couple thousand invested vs the around $10-15K extra to get a full lineup of equipment and the tractor on a newer item that someone is still selling used for a reason so it will still need some work. And getting a new one you are out a chunk of change even bigger.

Once I got my 332's worked on there haven't been any surprices and now down time. I did have a leaking steer cylinder on the 2400 hour 332. The engine still hasn't been touched on it that I am aware of and I only had to do a couple seals to it.

Newer foot controls would be nice though-I will give that to everyone. In the end-your money but you asked the question-so you will get a lot of different answers.

Forgot to add-bigger mower deck isn't always the greatest if you have a bumpy/hilling yard since it won't evenly cut with a short dip/hill on things. And-how much bigger are we talking? The 318 came with up to a 50 inch mower deck that is argued as one of the better decks out of all the tractors as far as cut. I don't know the full size of all the other mowers but not many belly mowers are much bigger then 60 inches on the newer ones. All depends on the final outcome of what you are planning to do. I bought two 332's just in case something happened to one I could still mow/blow snow without issue while fixing the other. Haven't had to do that yet but I could if needed. And-I got a heck of a deal on the second 332 since it did look so poor and had so many hours.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Some more great thoughts here...thanks all! I think...for me...4 wheel drive just isn't necessary. That said, I think coalminer and Mr beef are in to something.

I do think the most sensible option is to get the 318 good and up and running and then just run with it. It has been a capable machine for me. I will need some engine work and would like a suspension seat and a replacement deck...probably the 50 if the consensus is that it provides the best cut a 318 can do.

I would like a x495 or similar but it really just is a want.

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
Hey-I want a newer one too. But the old ones I can afford and work on and if properly maintained they don't require any more work then the new ones and parts can be cheaper and easier to find used.

Suspension seat-won't go without it. I did that to my first 332 and the in the process of fixing the second 332 I didn't have one installed yet (owned it-just not installed as I was about to put the two spd locking diff in). One plow day without the suspension and I quickly installed. Brother loves the suspension too but can't justify the cost of one just yet. There is someone on WFM that makes repro units that are better then the JD ones FYI.

What mower deck do you have for the 318? The 50 is one of the best you will get for cut. But you can still find the 48 and I don't notice the difference between the two. But then again since I rent-I mow more weeds then grass I think.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Coalminer so for the long delay. I currently have the 46 deck. For now I'm going to try to resist the urge to buy something else. I just sold my 212 so will be needing to make sure the 318 is running well. It seems to be now other than the oil use and a hydro fluid leak that I need to fix.

Thanks for everyone's thoughts. Oh, and I think I due aided if I were to buy something else to main two options would be x495 and x748!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts