My Tractor Forum banner

Thinking of Selling

4K views 32 replies 13 participants last post by  larrybl 
#1 ·
Red, 1990 Craftsman, this spring. I'll freshen him up in the comming weeks, I have a new Steering bushing to install, Pull the deck and clean and sharpen the blades, Put in a new air filter, add grease to the transaxle, and check the drive belt and pullies. I Need the $$$ and room to finish BMP. Hulk II can take up mowing duties till I finish BMP.

My total investment was $900.00, and I have use him for two seasions trouble free. I will start the consignment at $800.00, and see where it goes.

Have some fond memories with the build, There will be more.

Ode to RED.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Larry, I think that if you need to let one go, Red is probably the best choice. Hulk is a stronger machine, and BMP isnt done yet. Hulk and BMP are "garden tractors" and are stronger than Red. Letting go of a machine isnt easy, but I think you made the right call.

#5 ·
Any "Close" members can have 1st dibs, It will be Mid Jan before I'll be ready to take him in to the consignment lot.

#6 ·
OK, may as well have some fun with this. I figured sence it is supposed to be nice this weekend, and I have short days at work this week, I will prep Red for the sale. Unlike a Epay or Crags list, I will put Red on Consignment at a local lot, that is next to the highway. Being Red, should catch eyes of passer by's. The Lot provides some advantages.
1. I won't have strangers coming to the house.
2. I won't become someones mechnic being a 3rd party sell.
3. This will Allows hands on...up close looks, and try outs.

Based on #3 I decided to do some cleaning and minor maintenance. New Air and Fuel filter, and a trip to the dollar car wash. Will bump the asking price up.... say 900.

I pulled the pans and hood to see how things held up after a couple seasions of mowing. I also looked under the engine tins to see if the spraying water in the running engine had any adverse affects. None that I can see.

I will need to replace a leaking valve cover gasket (I have several on hand).

After the car wash, it should look a lot better, including under the transaxle. I'll Give the muffler another coat of BBQ paint, and Clean and re paint under the deck, and sharpin the blades.

Also have a slow leak to fix in one of the back tires.

Should have everything back together and ready to go by Monday.

I'll post the progress, and results.

Attachments

#18 ·
I will need to replace a leaking valve cover gasket (I have several on hand).

After the car wash, it should look a lot better, including under the transaxle. I'll Give the muffler another coat of BBQ paint, and Clean and re paint under the deck, and sharpin the blades.

Also have a slow leak to fix in one of the back tires.

Should have everything back together and ready to go by Monday.

I'll post the progress, and results.
Funny how we fix all the little things when we sell it, but avoid them when we own it LOL
I do the same.

#7 ·
Some of you may have seen the orginal build, these pictures are after 2-1/2 years of cutting 2-3 acres (trouble free). Should clean up nicely. I was interested in seeing how things held up.

Attachments

#8 ·
it looks like it held up pretty good, Larry. A little cleaning up and it will look new again. Sorry you are having to sell it, I know how hard it must be, you worked hard on it.
:thThumbsU:thThumbsU

#9 ·
Thanks Slow Crawler, the more I think about it, the less I am worried. Red has served me well, and by selling now would bring the most ROI, and provide needed funds to continue with BMP, and have some funds available to jump on the next deal.

Like I said, I plan on having fun with the sale.

#10 ·
How did you get the paint to shine so much?

#11 ·
The paint is regular rattle can enamual. I just kept it clean. Was thinking of touching it up, but I haven't found an area that needs touched up, just a good power wash and cleaning.

Last week I filled Red up and cut the yard 2.5 acres, I need to pull the gas tank so I am draining it. I am on my second 2.5 gallon can now.

Red sips gas.

Attachments

#12 ·
edit: Sorry for the double post. Computer locked up and I clicked uploade twice>

The paint is regular rattle can enamual. I just kept it clean. Was thinking of touching it up, but I haven't found an area that needs touched up, just a good power wash and cleaning. I'll re paint the muffler though.

Last week I filled Red up and cut the yard 2.5 acres, I need to pull the gas tank so I am draining it. I am on my second 2.5 gallon can now.

Red sips gas.

Attachments

#13 ·
Today's prep.... Probally could do a "How To" on deck cleaning.
Scraped the big stuff off using a painter tool, then wirebrushed.
Washed the Top and bottom with Simple green
Sharpened and re painted the blades.
re painted under the deck. No rust found.

Attachments

#14 ·
Pulled the gas tank and rear plate and loaded up for a trip to the car wash.
All cleaned up..
Now to fix the minor stuff and put back together.

Attachments

#15 ·
That thing is showroom clean! Very nice tractor, someone will be lucky to have it.

#19 ·
Thanks CraftMan, I "think" I am doing this for the following reasons.
1. Need the Money to Finish BMP and increase the Shop area.
2. The tear down was not necessary, but I was curious as to how well things heald up after a couple years of use.
a. and to do a good clean up and prep for next spring cutting, for the lucky buyer.
3. Personal pride. (probally the main reasion).

I talked with the consignment folks today, Not a problem there.......but. I think I;ll stop at a new small engine repair shop just a little futher down the road. If he will do consignment I would feel better with a person that knows what I have and may be able to hi-light it better.

#16 ·
Gotta ask, You must get some looks when going to a car wash with that? :p Very nice tractor though, And I agree whoever buys it is lucky.

#17 ·
Also how do you get the black plastic to shine?

#20 ·
I use the same paint "Freds" enamual on all my projects. I'm sure there are other brands, but I tried Walmart, Krylon, and Majic. Krylon is good for the Silver and Plastic paints, but for the tins, I can't flaw Freds. Goes on smooth, Take your time and use 4 - 6 coats and no runs, High gloss, and very little fade even in the Texas sun.

$1.25 a can to boot.

Attachments

#21 ·
Pulled the rear tire, Rims are still a brite red. Patched 2 holes, darn Mesquete's.
Added 2 funnels of "00" grease, and adjusted the brakes.
Replaced the valve cover gasket, and used a sealent.
Replaced the air filter
Have the rear tins back on

Man, I am having second thoughts on this decision. there is nothing wrong with this tractor now. Even the battery is dated at 4/10.

Sorta hoping for a bonus or looking for something else to sell.

Attachments

#23 ·
After doing a cursorery tear down (was planning to do any how) prior to the thought of selling. I am more impressed as how well it has heald up.
Hense my second thoughts of selling.
I can more than likely recover the parts costs, but not the labor.
And Hulk II would need to pick up the mowing duties, More wear & tear on him.

Stay tuned, I think I may change my mind..... I am allowed to.... right?

#24 ·
It's a tough dilema you're in Larry.Someone is going to get a very nice Craftsman.

#25 ·
may be ME...... I talked with the small engine repair shop owner, he does consign. $100.00 flat fee, and if it dosnt sell, $50.00. Benifets, He takes all the calls, 3rd party, and he can explain the merrits of the tractor (Made in USA), and it is stored inside till it sells.

The grass will start growing in a couple months..... I need the $$$ but not despersate, $$$ would be to finish the BMP project, and help expand the shop.

This can all be done in time. Yes a delima.

#27 ·
Food for thought: I've never regretted keeping something I spent a lot of time on.

On the other hand, I have regretted selling off several "toys". See one down the road and always think,"Man, I never should have sold that one".

(can you see what my thoughts are on this?) ;)

#28 ·
Thats what I am thinking, I may recover the parts cost, but not the labor..... And looking futher down the road, with 3 acres to mow, it might not be wise to give Red up. After the going over I just gave him I can expect at least another two years of trouble free service.

BMP and the shop expansion can wait.

Yes it is December 30, 2011

Attachments

#29 ·
That a keyed rear end?

#30 ·
Yes, one of Red's faults, I have never been able to remove the Rims, so the Rear was restored with the rims on. I just patched one of the rear tires, A little more difficult to to remve and replace, but doable.

#33 ·
I think I will back out of this. I might recover the parts cost, but not the labor. And I know this tractor in and out.
After the 2 year tear down I was real impressed as to how well things held up.
Had a few problems (now corrected)
I can't let Red Go at this point in time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3aMKbSvXTY

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.