My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a 11hp RER, 2811X5S, that I got from my Mother-in-law for free.:thThumbsU
It's got a couple of small issues, carb needs going through, clutch is slipping, but until 2 weeks ago I was mowing grass with it. Right now it will only go forward in the driveway......
Anyway, my wifes Aunt works for Briggs and Stratton. I was considering rebuilding the 11hp B&S this winter but if I can get a more powerfull engine for next to nothing......the only problem is the limited space between the gas tank and the bagger. I looked at a You Tube video of a guys RER with an 18hp twin on it. I see that he had to remove one of his rear "bumpers". That would mean that he couldn't run a bagger. I went to the B&S site and see where they give the dimentions of their engines but the relevantcy of those would depend on how the engine sits on the chassis.

My question is: what B&S engine would ya'll recomend? I'd like the largest HP but I'm working in a limited space.

If this gets too difficult I'll just order a big over bore kit and rebuild the 11. :greendr:

·
Administrator
12,689 Posts
Go with the sure thing, the one that it came with. 11 hp in an RER should be plenty. My JD S82 has an 8 hp B&S and I pull a 3ft wide lawn roller (loaded with concrete) , a spike aerator w/ 3 cinderblocks or a loaded cart with it and have had no problems with power. Also check with B&S for a new short block, might be less agravation to R&R it. Just my opinion, Good luck..

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
Snapper made some factory RER's with Briggs v-twins,mostly with 42" decks. The 421823 BVE and 422023 BVE,used Intek engines,I think that some of the earlier 42" used Vanguard's,like 421615BVE.The 23 series had a problem with bumper clearance and used the 42" rear bumper with spacers 7071754 . I think the 42" rear bumper has more clearance than the 28"&30 " bumpers,don't know for sure, I repowered mine with a Honda and used washers to clear the muffler. you probably wouldn't need to move it far enough to make the bagger unusable.If going to the v-twin Briggs you would need the Snapper muffler,of course,the type depending on which engine you use,the engines mount with the cylinders on the riders Right hand side,and the muffler is behind the right wheel.The factory wiring diagram and schematic will help,for whichever model you use. The X series is the "Extra Duty" mower with ball bearings on the rear wheels,and extra grease fittings,better tie rods,good mowers.The high horsepower RER's use the same drive parts as the lower powered ones,so no real problem with more power.

·
Senior MTF Poster
13,263 Posts
Any larger B&S single will fit in there with no problem. IF you snapper is old enough that it has the little curl outs on the side plates that look like mini fenders, you will need to trim the left hand one off even with the top of the frame OR enlarge the hole in the center just above the frame to accommodate the added sump bolt in the middle of the back of 12 hp and up engine or I should say, 28 & 31 series engines. Assuming that your 11 hp is the 25 series, not a newer OHV engine, I would not consider rebuilding the 11 hp IF it is a Kool Bore, aluminum cylinder bore, no cylinder liner.

Walt Conner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts